Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Keep in mind the roof pictured above is 31,000 square feet. an 8 floor, 100,000 square foot building could be massed along Good Samaritan Way and be sufficiently spaced away from the building. That said, I've never pushed far into this conversation, and had a "wait and see how they do it" mentality.

Sounds like the addition could essentially be a smaller scale version of the Museum tower.
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

So the addition would be just a couple feet away from the existing tower wall? You'd just have two offices looking into the windows of each other? Seems awkward. Or would the exterior wall on 8 floors of the BOAT be taken off and the new tower would directly connect to it?

Yeah, I don't see this happening. There aren't any elevator shafts in the parking structure below so it would likely have to be bolted on to the existing tower to utilize their vertical transportation.  Otherwise, retrofitting new elevator shafts through the parking garage is likely going to be cost prohibitive, particularly for inefficient 12,500 SF floorplates. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, queensguy06 said:

Looks to me like they are doing some roof repairs due to possible water intrusion. If you notice in the blue box below that is roofing material. The reason it is all the way to that side is that it would have been roof loaded with a boom lift/crane from the street and then they built temporary walk pads to the area that requires the repairs. In the red box below when you zoom in it looks like they possibly took two core samples to check something - water intrusion, bad ISO board, etc. My guess is water intrusion due to the location. That roof is tapered like a W so that water runs down to the roof drains that you see in pairs running vertical. The work is located in the trough of the taper where water would pool and/or drain. Also could be unrelated, but it looks like the workers on the right are not laborers but probably project manager, etc. and they appear to be standing around a an area that was patched at some point. If they were to make this an amenity deck ideally you would build a deck structure over the roof to allow proper drainage over the taper system and to provide a level amenities surface; or tear the entire roof system out down to the roof deck and build to suit.

Ahhhh...expertise...!

So, only retail thus far is a coffee shop?!?!  That's insane  by comparison to its neighbor.  Love the development, hate the lack of activity. I remember before the "boat" was even started, UPers  (hope I said that right, lol), speculating about the retail  potential - mostly optimistic too.  Maybe the future holds something special once all towers are built out. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

So, only retail thus far is a coffee shop?!?!  That's insane  by comparison to its neighbor.  Love the development, hate the lack of activity. I remember before the "boat" was even started, UPers  (hope I said that right, lol), speculating about the retail  potential - mostly optimistic too.  Maybe the future holds something special once all towers are built out. Fingers crossed.

Needs more than just offices…
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 9:06 AM, FLOSC843 said:

I could be wrong, but while LU retail could have been designed better, I think it worth considering that the reason the retail in this development isn't in the phase that ACC retail finds itself, is that the main block of Legacy Union simply isn't done.  A big part of that block is just a massive construction zone and the block really isn't that inviting for walking due to so much activity.  As a retail tenant, I'd be trepidatious putting so much investment into something that's in the middle of (or attached to) adjacent construction intensity.  I sense that once the dust settles on LU4, retail leasing will pick up in earnest.  I don't suspect much leasing in the parking garage or on the ground floor of Honeywell will happen until the big patch of dirt and fencing on that block gets built up as well.  

Also, the overall LU project is just a different beast of a complex with several high-profile corporate tenants.  ACC is just Allied only in terms of office users.  And while I'm pleased it has retail which I partly attribute to the fact that it's actually done, it's not like the most amazing block in history.  I can't stand the parking garage and think the way the new Duke Center cloaked its garage is just far superior.  Not sure what was stopping ACC from designing its garage in similar fashion.  Also, I checked out the Museum of Illusions, and while I enjoyed the content, I was quite under-whelmed by the facade design.  I do love the Live Oak on the corner and the plaza as well.  I would have been fine with just an open plaza there and don't need the Golden Cow, but that's just me.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1