Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

17 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I have a question for those on here with the knowledge (architects, engineers).  What office buildings here would make ideal candidates for residential conversion? 

Also, does anyone think there may be any property owners in Charlotte that might be considering this? 

Isn't the buyer of Duke's Church St building doing this?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, J-Rob said:

So what is an alternative scenario for older buildings with large vacancies? Full gut and reskin?

I'm honestly not sure, I've never worked on a project like that. I know a reskinning can be done pretty easily, but I don't know if a gut would be able to turn the insides of an old building into a space modern companies are looking for. The structural system is so different these days.

On 2/12/2023 at 6:56 PM, RANYC said:

Lovely, but how is it there isn't a single uptown residential tower under development at this time?

Right now, Construction & Lending Costs are sky high plus SouthEnd is sucking up all of the oxygen at the moment with what’s planned and under construction now.  SouthEnd is more of a hotspot in terms of desirability and therefore less of a risk.  I don’t think we’ll see more than 1 or 2 Residential Towers under construction at a time for Uptown, for the foreseeable future.  

When the last two (2) were built (Lennar in 1st Ward and NWR in 4th Ward) High Rise Apartments hadn’t yet taken off in SouthEnd.  Now that it has, Developers will be more wary about building knowing they’ll compete for the same pool of Residential Customers able to pay the higher rents.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, J-Rob said:

So what is an alternative scenario for older buildings with large vacancies? Full gut and reskin?

I wonder if it would be possible, in the buildings with deep floor plates, to have residential units ringing the perimeter of the building, and then to have a secondary use which doesn’t require daylight occupying the interior? Self-storage would be an obvious complementary use to residential.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jthomas said:

I wonder if it would be possible, in the buildings with deep floor plates, to have residential units ringing the perimeter of the building, and then to have a secondary use which doesn’t require daylight occupying the interior? Self-storage would be an obvious complementary use to residential.

A developer could find uses for the non-daylighted spaces, but I bet the math doesn't pencil out on the rent per sf. A good developer will know his numbers down to the penny and usually they need to have double-loaded residential to make it work if the footprint is that big.

It’s more economical for the owner to keep a building office than it would be to retrofit a building from office to residential. It would probably be more economical to leave vacancy compared to the spending on retrofitting costs and the hoops jumping necessary to get there.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I noticed that when I took it. Hopefully, there’s more to come on the Tryon St canyon. Charlotte has grown to the point that I can see buildings being torn down on Tryon and redeveloped. The Charlotte Visitors Center and the adjacent parking deck are prime targets for residential and hotel development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1