Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

This thing is gonna get watered down to the point where it will be a boring, utilitarian concrete structure with some simple lighting slapped on it.  That's it. 
Ive grown so jaded with Charlotte's "ambitious" development plans.  It seems like a vast majority of them end up being nothing like they are sold to the citizens. 

I think this shouldn’t happen here…though the bridge already look minimalist as it was. Those railing completely look cheap, but idk what material they’re made of or if that’s the final design yet.

Several years ago, I spoke with someone familiar with the project at LS3P, about the overall design aesthetic. Remember when we just complained about the neoclassical/1980's suburban office park design, and not the lack of retail?

They said Lincoln Harris dictated what they wanted, and they "bit their tongue" and gave them that design. I'm looking at you too, Capitol Towers! This will take more than SouthPark Grill's bright blue awnings to succeed. Oh wait, they're now permanently closed too...

040723_1.thumb.jpg.8476f3dab70d24e652748fd86d2f30eb.jpg

• Sad 1

They’re going to have be smart with who they bring in. Despite the flaws, there should be enough foot traffic to sustain these spots after full buildout and esp with BOA stadium events. Also, Ever increasing RTO (just walk uptown during lunch hours). Def agree with #6 though. That grassy courtyard could have been flanked by retail on all sides similar to the design of the new lending tree building. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 1:29 PM, kermit said:

Recent posts here got me thinking about the earliest days of this thread. I thought I would repost some of the discussion from back then. None of this is intended to be criticism of any posters, just a reminder of how much hope we had for retail here and how totally Lincoln Harris failed on every bit of this project other than office (retail, residential, public space and circulation were all discussed at one point). All this is doubly ironic given the current weaknesses in the office market and the current (post pandemic) need for more consumer/residential activity in Uptown.

The crazy thing is (I was "GUEST," because I was asked to delete my former account by an employer) in 2015 I had a copy of the masterplan, these were the numbers they were shooting for. They were claiming they were taking risks, but continued to do exactly what they are great at, surburan office parks. 

On 4/7/2023 at 3:41 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

So are we allowed to criticize the project yet or are there still people out there who will rip heads off saying to give it a chance, it’s not fully built, etc? Lol. 

People get their heads ripped off when they judge things based on raw concrete lol, you have three finished towers to work with.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 7:32 PM, CLT Development said:

Having a packed house 30 something days a year does not a business make. 

Lol not disagreeing but some ppl think those 30 something days are  worth building multi billion dollar domes for. Other cities build dedicated sports/ballpark districts for stadium events. Just saying, events at any stadium really just bolster the foot traffic around the area…may not solve our problems but it helps. You noted lack of or shaded patio areas being the culprit for lack of retail signings at LU. I think it’s a deeper issue than just patio space.

I know you travel,RDF. Some of the best eats in Italy and other countries are in dark little alley ways no one knows about. If you’re good. You’re good and ppl will come. Ppl in charge of retail at LU are failing in my eyes. Hell, someone has been able to sign tenants to the Epicentre for heavens sake. Not exactly apples to apples but point is LU is in too damn of a good location to have not signed a single tenant yet. And no, I don’t count night swim or a bank branch lol. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Lol not disagreeing but some ppl think those 30 something days are  worth building multi billion dollar domes for.

Those domes only have to be staffed those 30 days, and have lucrative tv contracts and public subsidies to keep them afloat,  the restaurants have staffing costs in a lot of cases 365 and customer needs to keep them afloat. Those stadium districts survive because there is a concerted and intentional effort to market them as such and make them a destination.

I think the fact that they centered their retail around a stadium used 30 days a year, and on Church Street beside a highway is their worst problem. Lack of character, outdoor seating, etc that I've outlined above also huge problem.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, CLT Development said:

SouthPark Grill is a pretty dope Rhino Market Location now, but that was Highwoods doing.

#7 Nobody is even allowed on the grass.

FWIW I did see some guys on the grass yesterday looking at samples of turf.

We were at North Italia last night and LU could stand to take a note from the Railyard as far as how to do retail in this development. People have their opinions about retail in this area but there are a lot more than office people on the ground daily due to proximity to hotels and the convention center. I agree that church st is dumb and it feels more like a dark 3 lane alleyway than a place where retail would be. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1