Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think you could find yourself surprised in a month about your first statement. :ph34r: At least I hope. 

I think all three of those people are poised to expand organically in the coming 18-24 months. 

If BofA actually expands my jaw will indeed hit the floor. The amount of space they sit on but don't use is amazing. 

5 minutes ago, nashbill said:

Is there a rendering of the new buildings?  It seems everyone knows something about this project and the design.  

Not that can be shared to the public :-( too much on the line. I would expect public release before the end of 2016.

Just now, nashbill said:

So, you are being very coy with us.  I was all set to be blown away with the design.  Now is before the end of 2016.

LOL, sorry. Don't expect to be blown away though. It would behoove you to temper expectations. Honestly, the only thing that explains them not announcing anything, and being this far into permitting, is that they have a BOMB SHELL on their hands.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

LOL, sorry. Don't expect to be blown away though. It would behoove you to temper expectations. Honestly, the only thing that explains them not announcing anything, and being this far into permitting, is that they have a BOMB SHELL on their hands.

Based on design you've described, I'm going to guess that a major financial institution is either putting their HQ here or a major international company is putting a North American HQ here.

Like my post if I'm close :D

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

As for the design, I like it more than most probably will. It's classic/classy and different than 95% of Charlotte buildings. And LH hardly value engineers. The materials will be of insane quality. 

Cool.  Extra points if it's not grey and blue like pretty much that entire side of uptown.

Edited by Higgs Boson

14 minutes ago, 49er said:

The pyramid isn't gold anymore either fwiw. That kinda throws water on Goldman Sachs rumors or maybe gold paint is just expensive :tw_grin:. It's more of a metallic silver color now. 

I was thinking I heard it was glass.  Is the metallic silver you mention just framing for glass?  Can the pyramid be lit up at all (thinking like BofA crown)?

13 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Sooo the same quality as brickell city center? Better? Worse? does it resemble anything modern? 

Quality is an iffy word, I say quality in the sense of materials used to build it. Think more high quality stone, less crappy stucco.

And yeah totally forgot to touch on the gold being gone. The pyramid has resemblance to 525 N Tryon oddly enough, yeah there is glass in it too. 

And it is certainly not modern. It's classic design.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Lincoln Harris is a very conservative in design of their buildings look at the Rotunda, Capitol Towers in Southpark even the new Rea Farms development off Providence is very much classic with brick and columns. Architectural variety is what I like about our skyline and a pyramid topped building would look good. On the rumors front Goldman Sachs is building a consumer bank right now and where can you find lots of people with consumer bank experience?  This is a hunch if it is someone out of town but I still contend it is someone local. 

• Like 1

Am I the only one that wants it to be something super red-neck?  Like the WWE headquarters.  I say we go all out and just turn Stonewall into a corridor of HQ's for NASCAR, WWE, steal RJ Reynolds from Winston and like, Busch light.  Oh and have a Bass Pro or Cabela's anchor every building.

Sigh.  A guy can dream!!!

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Am I the only one that wants it to be something super red-neck?  Like the WWE headquarters.  I say we go all out and just turn Stonewall into a corridor of HQ's for NASCAR, WWE, steal RJ Reynolds from Winston and like, Busch light.  Oh and have a Bass Pro or Cabela's anchor every building.

Sigh.  A guy can dream!!!

That would be hilariously awesome, but I can promise you its not that (or Goldman)

• Like 3

US Bank could be a possibility.  Looking at building permits, it looks like one was just applied for US Bank to take then 2nd Floor at 201 S Tryon (applied for last week).

They leased the 4th floor earlier this year, but only though 2019....I don't know terms of the lease on the new 2nd floor, but would assume also 2019.  I'm also assuming they took the full 2nd floor, which was vacant, and 24k sf in size, along with the similar size 4th floor, so almost 50k sf in 201 S Tryon, and I believe right around 100k in the Hearst Tower, so 150k sf.

I guess if they plan to continue to grow here (and they have a ton of job posting for Charlotte), it's believable they would be the anchor.

The conservative architecture, and fact that lease they signed this year has a 2019 maturity, and the fact they had been rumored to be looking in the market to grow, probably moves them to the top of the list (or at least tied with Duke, in my opinion).

It's just hard to believe they would need 400k, that I suspect a lead anchor would need to take to be driving this much in terms of design and timing.

• Like 3

Yes 2nd floor of 201 S Tryon is 21,000 sq ft so they US Bank took that too they are knitting together a larger and larger presence in the city. US Bank main employment hubs are in Minneapolis and in California both places that are much more expensive to operate in than in Charlotte. Imagine the US Bank name on a high rise behind Bank of America stadium. And remember this bank got the naming rights to the new Vikings stadium then Wells Fargo tried to put a big sign on their tower behind their stadium.  This could get interesting! 

Do a general job search by location on North Carolina on US Banks website and you will find many postings here or in Minneapolis. (and no branch level jobs to be found!) https://www.usbank.com/careers/index.aspx

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2