Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This will be blow your minds what if we are both right! Some of Merrill Lynch B of A goes into Lincoln Harris's project next to a stadium with their name on it and Bank of America starts planning new towers on the North Tryon land as well. Remember Linclon Harris developed Bank of America Corporate Center back in the early 1990s and the fore mentioned relationship of managing their properties.   Merrill Lynch has not really been integrated into the bank as much as previous mergers I think due to  the long recovery of the financial crisis. If you wanted to attract a younger millenial workforce would you do it in a campus out in the New Jersey suburbs of Princeton or in an urban environment like uptown Charlotte?  The signage on any building facing a NFL stadium with national tv coverage can not be underestimated. We shall see but exciting times for Charlotte.  

If you guys think a 786 ft tower looms over Bank of America Stadium, just wait until a 600+ foot tower looms over a block closer. Thats going to warrant great views.

Let me get this straight....
Merrill Lynch suspected but not confirmed tenet of the LH tower and possible BoA tower? Why not build two 600'+ towers? One for BoA and one for Merrill Lynch? The land is there for two towers easily. 

I think you'll prefer what's planned for the rest, if what I've heard is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/31/2016 at 9:19 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think you'll prefer what's planned for the rest, if what I've heard is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Out in Los Angeles right now - are you familiar with The Grove? Based on the descriptions I imagine it being something like that. It's 600k sqft of retail - how does that compare to this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grove_at_Farmers_Market

2 hours ago, NYCLT said:

Out in Los Angeles right now - are you familiar with The Grove? Based on the descriptions I imagine it being something like that. It's 600k sqft of retail - how does that compare to this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grove_at_Farmers_Market

We're talking Lincoln Harris here.  Materials will be solid, design will be uninspired.  There will apparently be a lot of retail but I'm picturing something resembling a suburban mall (I really want to be wrong and I have zero info).

3 minutes ago, JBS said:

We're talking Lincoln Harris here.  Materials will be solid, design will be uninspired.  There will apparently be a lot of retail but I'm picturing something resembling a suburban mall (I really want to be wrong and I have zero info).

The Grove ain't exactly urban.

• Like 1

Wouldn't mind if they bisected the site with a "High Street" concept as they are doing in downtown Miami ...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=x2j4sS62&id=C44D809D9F8744DD9DD0C35161227178545560E9&q=worldcenter+high+street&simid=607989374074621028&selectedIndex=7&ajaxhist=0

Note: this replaces a larger, indoor mall that was found to be unfeasible.

Is Simon still involved or were they ever in this Lincoln Harris project? With department stores retreating across the country I think we will be lucky if we see a H&M or someone like that as the anchor. Maybe one of those urban Targets would work . Without plenty of free or validated parking I dont see mall or regional destination here but there are enough retailers out there just smaller tenants maybe an like Apple store and some clothing chains. Beside restaurants what other kinds of retail would work here? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Is Simon still involved or were they ever in this Lincoln Harris project? With department stores retreating across the country I think we will be lucky if we see a H&M or someone like that as the anchor. Maybe one of those urban Targets would work . Without plenty of free or validated parking I dont see mall or regional destination here but there are enough retailers out there just smaller tenants maybe an like Apple store and some clothing chains. Beside restaurants what other kinds of retail would work here? 

Can't see target putting another store a mile away from the one on Kings.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think this is the point of a urban mall, to increase urbanization not sprawl. If you live in uptown and a urban mall comes, no need for a car anymore.  Would make a very good selling point to adjacent apartments also. 

36 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

But parking would draw in nearby folks who might not want to go to SouthPark. Because it would only be successful with lots of nearby residents driving here, a good amount  from people further away and decent amount of uptown folks

why not take light rail though? You have public options. Adding parking would reduce density for future growth. i hate parking garages(too many dings on my car) so i personally hate them. :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

why not take light rail though? You have public options. Adding parking would reduce density for future growth. i hate parking garages(too many dings on my car) so i personally hate them. :ph34r:

Because most people around here don't care.

but really. The failure of Macy's is actually probably positive for getting a Macy's uptown. Smaller, lean stores. More technology in the store to promote their online. Just my opinion. Not to mention uptown is an experience unlike Carolina Place. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I agree an Apple Store would print money in an uptown location. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I would prefer to see unique, Charlotte owned businesses in Uptown retail. Places that you can shop for unique clothing and gifts that aren't just in every city and suburb across the country. And I agree, as much as we all want more traditional brick and mortar retail, we all helped further kill it this holiday season. I probably bought 70% of my Christmas gifts online and went to SouthPark once and was done. 

The numbers for same-store sales from this holiday season aren't good for the traditional mall brick & mortar stores:

• Buckle down 15% YoY 
  • L Brands (Victoria Secret, Bath & Body, Pink, etc...) down 1% YoY 
  • Gap expected to be down 1.7% YoY, with Banana Republic specifically down 5.3%
  • American Eagle, flat
  • Nordstrom said holiday traffic was the worst since 1972
  • Macy's and Khol's reported 2.1% declines YoY
  • Urban (Anthro, Free People, etc...) will be a big one to watch. Anthro declined 2.1% in Q3
  • The Limited is bankrupt and going out of business

This is just the start of what is likely to be bad data flowing in for brick & mortar as more and more retailers report. With the major chain retailers struggling so much, I truly feel like locally owned stores is the only way your going to get people off their couch to actually go shop for stuff in person. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

I would prefer to see unique, Charlotte owned businesses in Uptown retail. Places that you can shop for unique clothing and gifts that aren't just in every city and suburb across the country. And I agree, as much as we all want more traditional brick and mortar retail, we all helped further kill it this holiday season. I probably bought 70% of my Christmas gifts online and went to SouthPark once and was done. 

The numbers for same-store sales from this holiday season aren't good for the traditional mall brick & mortar stores:

• Buckle down 15% YoY 
  • American Eagle, flat
  • Urban (Anthro, Free People, etc...) will be a big one to watch. Anthro declined 2.1% in Q3

This is just the start of what is likely to be bad data flowing in for brick & mortar as more and more retailers report. With the major chain retailers struggling so much, I truly feel like locally owned stores is the only way your going to get people off their couch to actually go shop for stuff in person. 

and it's going to get worse.  amazon is the future.  brick and mortar business models will only survive if they can tolerate the race to the bottom for lowest prices.

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

• Buckle down 15% YoY 
  • American Eagle, flat

Yep, but there isn't much of a launching point for those stores in Charlotte. Most retail space in Charlotte is either new construction, a new renovation, or in a crapty old shopping center with low end retailers. New construction and newly renovated retail spaces are going to carry a rent that most retail store owners aren't going to be able to afford.

• Like 1