Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I post this only to show Bank of America is making some real estate moves this time in Houston  consolidating and shrinking their footprint in the energy capital but anchoring a new office tower.  Houston's office vacancy has soared in the last 2 years because of the fall of oil so a new tower started and anchored by BofA is big news there. The foundation was poured for this tower then worked was stopped until the anchor was found.  What does this mean for Charlotte? It shows me BofA is reviewing all their office space footprint and is consolidating space with Merrill Lynch which was elsewhere downtown and  willing to anchor new towers. I think all the different sources are correct something is moving with Bank of America and involves lots of space here. Look for this to benefit Charlotte soon from what many are hearing. http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/01/06/exclusive-bank-of-america-in-talks-to-anchor-new.html?ana=e_hstn_bn&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1483744264&j=76997101

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I'd like to see something like the Hudson Yards or Time Warner Center linking two towers.  The HY has 1m sf of retail in the mall between the two towers.  I'm not suggesting something uber-upscale like HY or TWT, but instead, an idea like that with a massive urban mall between two towers with an amazing plaza.

http://www.shopcitycreekcenter.com/m/

Something like what SLC has would be what uptown needs, imo.  About 600k sf of retail.  

On 12/30/2016 at 4:00 PM, Miesian Corners said:

I just don't see BofA going into this project. Why would they anchor a building 6 to 7 blocks away from their current six towers? I was always told the next site they'd build on would be the vacant lot next to Hall House (across from TransAmerica).

Already have some spread out locations like Odell and Gateway.  You'd think it would make sense to consolidate workers within Uptown closer together.

Also that area could really use some retail with all the apartment developments nearby in both Uptown/Southend

6 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Already have some spread out locations like Odell and Gateway.  You'd think it would make sense to consolidate workers within Uptown closer together.

Also that area could really use some retail with all the apartment developments nearby in both Uptown/Southend

Hugh McColl did that on purpose to help spur development in areas of uptown that were less desirable at the time. There's no need for that now.

10 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:
17 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Hugh McColl did that on purpose to help spur development in areas of uptown that were less desirable at the time. There's no need for that now.

That is good info, never knew that.  Even today, those areas have little else going on....but getting better. 

55 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

That is good info, never knew that.  Even today, those areas have little else going on....but getting better. 

Eh, there has been a lot of development around Gateway in the last few years. It's just all relatively small apartment projects with no retail though, so they don't get a lot of discussion here.

10 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Accela finally has the approved plans with a ton of renderings.  Here's a sampling.

Elevation is 588' from Tryon St lobby to top of pyramid.

There are 29 occupiable floors (no 13th floor).

620 S Tryon.GIF

620 S Tryon site plan.GIF

I hate thats its gotten shorter, and I hope the land is developed quickly around it. The lobby is a little grandiose for me. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 11.58.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 11.58.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 11.58.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 11.58.23 AM.png

I didn't expect it to be set back so far from Stonewall.  Until further land is developed, it is a bit isolated from any pedestrian activity.  I am disappointed it is not slightly taller. 3 or 4 more inhabitable floors would make a big difference, and make it more of a skyline definer.  The one thing I am hopeful about is that by the positioning of the building back on hill street rather than Stonewall, it seems fairly obvious that they have substantial development plans for the rest of the land.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aircare35 said:

The design is a 2nd rate architectural design.

I've been waiting for you guys to hate this. Just wait until you see the new Tryon Place Design, woof. Sadly the Northwood Ravin apartment tower might be the best looking tower coming. 

4 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I didn't expect it to be set back so far from Stonewall.  Until further land is developed, it is a bit isolated from any pedestrian activity.  I am disappointed it is not slightly taller. 3 or 4 more inhabitable floors would make a big difference, and make it more of a skyline definer.  The one thing I am hopeful about is that by the positioning of the building back on hill street rather than Stonewall, it seems fairly obvious that they have substantial development plans for the rest of the land.

It'll be a great bookend. Keep in mind this is the height of the "Jukebox Tower" and a little bit taller than the Vue. You will also have a couple of 12-20 floor buildings sprinkled around it.

Edited by Guest

588' IMO is a perfect height, correct me if I'm wrong but that's the height of One Wells Fargo. With the surrounding development I'm sure not too far behind this will be very a nice development. Given the recent trend of glass buildings, I am looking forward to this

• Like 1

I like it we need variety in uptown not all glass towers which are okay in moderation. All great cities have varied skylines and I am just excited another huge office tower is being developed. Lincoln Harris is top notch you may not like their classical .designs but given we all think they have an anchor tenant I want to see something started on this site. 

• Like 2

Well crap I actually like the building.  Hate the ground floor, and the footprint is super weird looking with nothing around it.  Also it really does a lot of harm to my idea of what it's surroundings will look like.  This whole idea of a large scale urban mall anchored/centered by this thing just doesn't really mesh for me. 

• Like 4

Well I'll probably never go inside since it looks like it doesn't have much common space / retail for the public and will be for office tenants, but I think this will look nice on the skyline. Like others said, it looks odd set in a field of undeveloped grass and the view toward Stonewall def needs to be covered up by other buildings. I'm having a hard time picturing a retail layout and the entrance steps to the lobby's won't do much to help street activity. It is fairly unwelcoming from Hill and Tryon. Church has the best entrance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Well I'll probably never go inside since it looks like it doesn't have much common space / retail for the public and will be for office tenants, but I think this will look nice on the skyline. Like others said, it looks odd set in a field of undeveloped grass and the view toward Stonewall def needs to be covered up by other buildings. I'm having a hard time picturing a retail layout and the entrance steps to the lobby's won't do much to help street activity. It is fairly unwelcoming from Hill and Tryon. Church has the best entrance. 

There will be retail flanking the Plaza facing Tryon and facing tryon itself within the future development. There will also be retail flanking the pedestrian promenade, and along Church, stonewall and Mint. Think Hearst and its setback and plaza.

Edited by Guest