Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

what is the total square footage of the office tower? the floorplates? 

Just got word from a contact that The building floor totals are not final, depending on the rest of the leasing, the building is about 50-60% leased and they can add an additional 10 floors. 

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Just got word from a contact that The building floor totals are not final, depending on the rest of the leasing, the building is about 50-60% leased and they can add an additional 10 floors. 

That is what I like 50-60% preleased. That means more local jobs  and that is what gets a building built as opposed to dying on the drawing board. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Please add those additional 10 floors, that'd make it a little better.

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Then HB2 needs to be repealed ASAP.  I will say I'm a bit conflicted...a slimmer design would be better but also more visible.  Have I mentioned how much I hate this?  OK I'll stop now (though I keep thinking this should be moved to the South Park thread).  

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

I doubt slimming the tower to make it taller is financially feasible. The large floorplates are probably what this anchor tenant wants and so if it goes taller it will be due to increased demand. This anchor tenant is undoubtedly already in the market. 

He's just saying a visual slimming.

If that second tier after the setback were a little bit taller I think I would like the building more.  I am hoping for 3-5 more floors (above the set back).  I think that would help the building look slimmer visually.

If the building really has a bit more room to grow, kudos to them for managing expectations more than some of the other projects.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, HopHead said:

^I agree with J-Rob, it would be good if that second setback is taller... should they add more floors which seems possible. 

made it 10 floors taller. ITS WAY BETTER.

Approved-Plans-part-3.thumb.jpg.a9cc084aa7f07dc3e354d768dbbc57ea.jpg

I'm sure that future development will come soon enough, but as it sits right now the perception is a not very warm and welcoming building. I do like how it looks to an extent, it's a nice break from all the blue glass, but from a street scale it seems like something people would just walk (or more so, drive) by on their way to other uptown venues. Perhaps they're holding back to see what comes of Tryon Place before putting all the cards on the table?

On a second note, I heard something through the grapevine about a second tower on the same site pending the success of the first (this one), is it possible that the second building, maybe closer to BofA Stadium would actually be the big brother to this tower? Or is this going to be the largest building on site? My thinking being that a larger tower closer to the stadium would look better on the skyline and not obscure the Duke Energy Center. 

I think it looks decent.

Did someone state that it's precast concrete?  If so, granite or limestone obviously would have been better.

Hopefully, there will be some fountains.

Based upon comments from those in the know, the real problem will be Tryon Place.  I gather that the new design is lame.  

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've been waiting for you guys to hate this. Just wait until you see the new Tryon Place Design, woof. Sadly the Northwood Ravin apartment tower might be the best looking tower coming. 

It'll be a great bookend. Keep in mind this is the height of the "Jukebox Tower" and a little bit taller than the Vue. You will also have a couple of 12-20 floor buildings sprinkled around it.

I generally like the design. Would people like it more if the rendering was at sunset and used a lot of unnatural lighting features and had more glass with large miscellanous groupings of windows bound by a protruding frame? This design isn't mind blowing by any means, but it's a solid looking building that will stand the test of time. It doesn't feel all that 90s to me, but I can see why people might say that.

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There will be retail flanking the Plaza facing Tryon and facing tryon itself within the future development. There will also be retail flanking the pedestrian promenade, and along Church, stonewall and Mint. Think Hearst and its setback and plaza.

This is the most important part. Honestly, the only part about this building that matters is its Church St frontage. Everything else at ground level will get covered up by future development

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is really weird. Why would they grade the site like this? This is going to make developing the other parcels a beotch, and reduce the amount of possible retail along the promenade. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 1.33.47 PM.png

Tailgating?

• Like 1