Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

Will they construct the parking deck so a second tower can be built over it in the future like Portman did (615 S College)?

lets be honest. They completely dismantled the westin parking deck and built a sheer elevator core. From the site/floor plans, I do not think the parking deck will be built in a manner that it could hold a building. 

The building doesn't look stubby if you look at it straight on which most people will be. 

also, no inside information at all, but the base of this project overall could be great. The part where this faces the street, Church Street, seems to have lots of retail. The parking deck has retail. There seems to be a plaza facing BoA stadium. And stonewall facing is a blank wall which leads me to believe some development will come be directly there.I would wait to see more details before being too critical. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

10 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Maybe the large plaza fronting Tryon will be the large retail gathering plaza for the open air retail?  And maybe a secondary plaza fronting Stonewall?

The large Plaza fronting Tryon will definitely be lined in retail.
As far as the rest goes I think you will see a similar treatment along stonewall as what is planned for Stonewall Station, but with smaller retail spaces.

Edited by Guest

So completely underwhelmed.....This is eerily similar to the Mellon Bank Building in Philadelphia, just a little snazzier.  For me, a letdown of what should be a showcase property and have a "WOW" factor as you are driving on 77 or 277.  This will get lost in the shuffle.  Meh.

I see it this way.  This looks better than the old Observer building. I was not surprise after looking at the Capital Towers in South Park,  I can see where this came from.  When they start paying the poster here on urban planet to design buildings , we will have to take them any way the developer wants to build it.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT
  • Like 1

Honestly, this design is......blah.  Not very inspiring at all.  My attitude is basically, meh, whatever.  I would have loved the design to be a scaled down version of the old Wachovia tower that wasn't built (no not that 100+ story monstrosity that would have been an eyesore) but the art deco version.  Well, I guess something is better than nothing.

I'm actually really fine with this look. 

We have quite a few unique and prominent skyline buildings. BofA, Duke, Hearst, the jukebox...

I think it will really help balance the skyline out, adding some variety without being overtly eye-catching. Just a nice standard tower.

Not every tower has to be a standout.

• Like 2

I really don't mind the building to be honest.  It obviously will not be the most beautiful building in the skyline but it does have some early 20th century skyscraper appeal.  I think this tower along with a good retail/residential component akin to Center City DC and a couple of good hotels will make this project an overall win.  

I'm really hoping this project brings a good HQ as the office tenant and gives us new products in the retail space (Saks, Bloomingdales, etc) and hotel space (Grand Hyatt/Hyatt Regency, JW, W, Loews) that are currently not present in Charlotte.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

lets be honest. They completely dismantled the westin parking deck and built a sheer elevator core. From the site/floor plans, I do not think the parking deck will be built in a manner that it could hold a building. 

Yes, I noticed the Portman tower straddles the parking deck rather than being built directly over it.  Oh well, let's hope for a second tower someday