Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

5 minutes ago, grodney said:

Fresh from the luxurious 13th floor of the old Duke HQ:

20170113_091057_zpsn0xrqk8w.jpg

20170113_091106_zpsmv5npvoq.jpg

Slightly different angle:

20170113_091236_zpsajel5rlu.jpg

looks like we have a new webcam, Ely should be worried by his new competition.

Your 13th floor view is perfect to see this tower rise. I can see the tunnel under S Church too. This tower is going to be reality not a paper skyscraper that never gets off the drawing board. What an exciting time.

In possibly a related note, Bank of America made more money this quarter and continues to reduce jobs. As I have said before announce a move to new city and half of your people wont make the move and those needed can be rehired at lower wages than lets say in Manhattan. (And I am talking about divisions not everything out of Manhattan) 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Your 13th floor view is perfect to see this tower rise. I can see the tunnel under S Church too. This tower is going to be reality not a paper skyscraper that never gets off the drawing board. What an exciting time.

In possibly a related note, Bank of America made more money this quarter and continues to reduce jobs. As I have said before announce a move to new city and half of your people wont make the move and those needed can be rehired at lower wages than lets say in Manhattan. (And I am talking about divisions not eferything out of Manhattan) 

I'm not 100% sure the the tunnel will survive construction. I see it referenced no where in the approved plans, not to mention there is a 4 floor parking deck attached to the building itself. Its purpose is unclear, perhaps it would service the hotel that would be built on Hill and Tryon, as there isn't much room for a parking deck on that lot. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 10.04.53 AM.png

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

In possibly a related note, Bank of America made more money this quarter and continues to reduce jobs. As I have said before announce a move to new city and half of your people wont make the move and those needed can be rehired at lower wages than lets say in Manhattan. (And I am talking about divisions not everything out of Manhattan) 

Lots of NY banks are moving mid-level people out of NY to smaller cities and to other places in the NY metro (e.g., Jersey City and downtown Brooklyn).  The cost of space in NY is astronomical.  New office towers cost between $3b and $4 billion to build (e.g., 50 Hudson Yards, 1 Vanderbilt, 30 Hudson Yards, Tishman's Spiral, 2 WTC, etc.)  Further, lower level people making $200,000 and less can have a much better life in Charlotte, Atlanta, or Dallas than they can in the NY area given the dramatically lower cost of living.

That being said, I think that BoA's HQ will eventually be in NY.  NY is the unparalleled financial center of the world.  It's IPO and M&A market dwarfs London, and all of the biggest commercial banks are based there.  The current CEO of BofA didn't want to live in Charlotte, and the next one won't.  If you're very rich, NY is the place to be -- hence the sea of new condos rising in Manhattan with $10m+ apartments.

In any event, hopefully, Charlotte will be the beneficiary of more and more jobs in the $75-$200k pay range. 

Edited by edmundblackadder1999
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

That being said, I think that BoA's HQ will eventually be in NY.  NY is the unparalleled financial center of the world.  It's IPO and M&A market dwarfs London, and all of the biggest commercial banks are based there.  The current CEO of BofA didn't want to live in Charlotte, and the next one won't.

I think (and hope) that you are wrong but I have no connection to the bank.  I think it's more likely that we will gain a bank HQ than that we will lose BofA.  Also, the CEO currently doesn't want to live in NY either (he lives in Boston).  If I was filthy rich, I'd live someplace warm (though I do love NYC)...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

Personally, I like this design. I'm not sure why but i sorta like the aesthetics. I quickly threw together a very rough 3D model so I could tell how it would look with the rest of the skyline.Iw7jJ2z.png

4gPCd5m.png

(The colors were only for contrast and I can't remove the Observer building)

Can I steal this and add in texture and Windows? 

Just now, End_The_Sprawl said:

Yeah you can! Do you just want the sketchup file as well?

Nah its cool. I'll probably do it in photoshop/illustrator. I really need to get less ambitious and do things in Sketchup. Renderings would probably take like 4x less... Like I did this one in Illustrator... probably shouldn't have lol. 

1381707_10100478937966667_2078300946_n_zps045c3fec.jpg

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Nah its cool. I'll probably do it in photoshop/illustrator. I really need to get less ambitious and do things in Sketchup. Renderings would probably take like 4x less... Like I did this one in Illustrator... probably shouldn't have lol. 

1381707_10100478937966667_2078300946_n_zps045c3fec.jpg

So what was this sweet rendering for?  I have to be honest... When I saw this my first thought was something like "Wait, is Sycamore Partners going to open a regional office in Charlotte with Belk anchoring retail in Uptown?"  LOL.  (It was just a quick fleeting thought... I didn't have time to think through their lack of workforce big enough to support my fleeting thought)

Edited by J-Rob

20 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

So what was this sweet rendering for?  I have to be honest... When I saw this my first thought was something like "Wait, is Sycamore Partners going to open a regional office in Charlotte with Belk anchoring retail in Uptown?"  LOL.  (It was just a quick fleeting thought... I didn't have time to think through their lack of workforce big enough to support my fleeting thought)

This was his interpretation of the initial description he got for Tryon Place prior to seeing renderings.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It's going to end up that my version would have looked better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are starting to concern me with these comments, lol.  Is it that bad?!?  I thought they would just scale down the old renderings to make the building shorter.  Did they completely redesign it from scratch?  When are you thinking they might release some new renderings?

You are starting to concern me with these comments, lol.  Is it that bad?!?  I thought they would just scale down the old renderings to make the building shorter.  Did they completely redesign it from scratch?  When are you thinking they might release some new renderings?

It's 100% different. Boxier, the framing of the windows is interesting and so is the "cornice", but it's more or less a box. A creatively lit box with a very classy street level and a nice activated pedestrian plaza . It went from A to B-ish

You'd think with Lincoln Harris out there it'll be soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought they would keep the tunnel as it is great amenity to have and since it is there why not keep it. LH has a special underground parking level at Capitol Towers for what they call executive parking that has its own entrances and so forth. 

One note on the HQ of Bank of America I dont think it will leave Charlotte. Reason the corporate tax rate is so low in NC compared to NY there is no reason to add an expense since there is such slim profits at the bank these days. And the CEO will work wherever he wants to do which Moyihan seems to do in Boston or NYC. Again I am in the minority but I like this design and the different roof design (the pyramid). We need variety. And another glass tower could have created sun death rays like they have at the Museum Tower in Dallas. Read here about the Dallas  death ray tower ironically called the Museum Tower (hopefully doesnt happen in Charlotte) http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/06/dallas-tower-glare-blinds-arts-district/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1