Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

This building has 1 million sq ft in 30 floor which means each floor on the average is 33,333 sq ft or more The top floor are not as big so the lower floors will have more square feet.  That means this building has a bigger  floor plan,  than most office building in uptown.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It's going to end up that my version would have looked better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But what will the Belk look any different ? ;)

Design may be blah, but outside of NYC and NYC, I can't think of another city building a million sq ft office tower.

• Like 1

But what will the Belk look any different ? [emoji6]
Design may be blah, but outside of NYC and NYC, I can't think of another city building a million sq ft office tower.

Philly, and Houston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It's 100% different. Boxier, the framing of the windows is interesting and so is the "cornice", but it's more or less a box. A creatively lit box with a very classy street level and a nice activated pedestrian plaza . It went from A to B-ish

You'd think with Lincoln Harris out there it'll be soon.

That sounds like 50 Hudson Yards in NY.  They hired Norman Foster to design a $4 billion, 995' tall, 2.8m sf box with one set back and pseudo cornice/crown.  Compared to One Vanderbilt, which has 1.2m sf less and yet  is over 400' taller, it's a gigantic missed opportunity.

Tryon Place can't be as big of a let down as 50 Hudson is to NY.

PS: It seems that Crescent has deleted all images of this project from its website.

http://www.experiencetryonplace.com/

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

21 hours ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

Personally, I like this design. I'm not sure why but i sorta like the aesthetics. I quickly threw together a very rough 3D model so I could tell how it would look with the rest of the skyline.Iw7jJ2z.png

4gPCd5m.png

(The colors were only for contrast and I can't remove the Observer building)

The top image reminds me how much I dislike the grassy hill beside 277. I don't dislike grass nor hills, but the freeway/suburban grassy hill/urban thing... just doesn't mesh for me. It actually kind of takes away from the skyline from freeway level.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NY+SC=NC said:

The top image reminds me how much I dislike the grassy hill beside 277. I don't dislike grass nor hills, but the freeway/suburban grassy hill/urban thing... just doesn't mesh for me. It actually kind of takes away from the skyline from freeway level.

I feel the same way. That's why I hope one day that section of 277 will be capped and there will be a smoother transition between Uptown and South End. No more suburban looking hill in the middle of major urban area.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 3

So I've been out of town for 10 days and of course this info comes out while I'm gone. I'm seeing its pretty universally hated (with a few exceptions)? 

Can someone sum up the consensus? I for one, kinda like it. Has many pros, many cons.  it certainly looks different than one worldwide plaza, that was more of a shape reference 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

So I've been out of town for 10 days and of course this info comes out while I'm gone. I'm seeing its pretty universally hated (with a few exceptions)? 

Can someone sum up the consensus? I for one, kinda like it. Has many pros, many cons.  it certainly looks different than one worldwide plaza, that was more of a shape reference 

There a lot of people like myself who think its "just fine". As an individual tower its not very inspired but I think it'll be a nice component of the skyline. As long as they execute on the street level well I'll be very happy...the AMOUNT of planned retail is certainly there, I just hope it feels right. I think that some of the hate its currently getting is going to dissipate, especially if, like 300 S Tryon, the materials end up making it look better than the renderings. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I think that some of the hate its currently getting is going to dissipate, especially if, like 300 S Tryon, the materials end up making it look better than the renderings. 

Exactly. After being an outspoken critic of The Mercury in NoDa, and ultimately liking the finished product, I no longer make judgements based on renderings. Also been fooled too many times by a well-placed lens flare. Never again.

• Like 3

It would have been nice to have something unique and modern like a mini-30 Hudson Yards or the Walkie Talkie in London, but cost clearly was an issue.  To the extent that they seek to transfer low-paid employees from NY, they weren't going to build the Taj Mahal to house them.  If it got too expensive, they could have housed them in Jersey City instead, which is where thousands of workers making less than $250k have been relocated from Mahattan.

Anyway, I think this is a very nice tower.

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

Sure, this tower isn't really unique, but I think it is somewhat unique for Charlotte. There doesn't seem to be much doubt that the materials and build quality will be top notch so it will look nice in that regard. 

Personally, I'm not jumping for joy about it but it is rather elegant. I feel this will be one of those towers where the initial response will be somewhat cold but will end up becoming one of the more loved in the skyline over time.

• Like 1

What's the likelihood of this being heightened? If you add more floors and use something else besides concrete, i think this would be doable. It may just be me, but if you tear down a historic landmark, the replacement should be of high quality and opulence. 

I can tell you the materials won't change. The height is up to powers greater than us.

3 hours ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

PS: At 588', won't this be tied with One Wells Fargo as the fourth tallest tower in the city?  If so, that's pretty good.

Is it me, or does the land elevation of this tower seem lower than that of One Wells Fargo?  Even though the height of the building is the same, in those skyline renderings One Wells Fargo seems more prominent than this building.  I think the height of 588 is great, but selfishly I wish it were 5 - 10 floors higher just to counteract what appears to me to be lower land elevation.  Any portion of that extra 10 floors that are possible would be awesome, and would help balance out the top of the skyline just a tad bit more.