Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

Here is a good review of Bank of America's 5 million sq feet uptown and this article is from 2015. They did just renew that space in 525 N Tryon so it seems 2017 would be the year they could reduce space in 5/3 Bldg or Hearst Plaza. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2015/04/17/a-smaller-bank-of-america-everywhere-but-charlotte.html  Plus they are still trying to push out tenants at Bank of America Corp Center. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I'd like to see a big plaza with fountains, sculptures, and greenery, and lots of stores like Rockefeller Center, Hudson Yards, or the World Trade Center.

The observer site is three quarters of land of the WTC site for example. I think something like Brickell is more suitable here. Big plazas and sculptures would be a good fit for southpark IMO. 

• Like 2

I'd like to see a big plaza with fountains, sculptures, and greenery, and lots of stores like Rockefeller Center, Hudson Yards, or the World Trade Center.

What you describe before retail sounds like the opposite of what charlotte needs. No more plazas and fountains please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I wouldn't buy into the no net-increase in employment comment. I know thats not true. 

All they have to do is lay off some IT folks and either offshore their jobs or replace them w/ local H1B contractors and they can remain neutral 'employee' headcount wise.

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What you describe before retail sounds like the opposite of what charlotte needs. No more plazas and fountains please.

I assume you're familiar with Hudson Yards.  Something like that with the massive sculpture and gardens would be amazing here.

Related said it would be like the 21st Century Rockefeller Center.

This interactive sculpture will be the size of a 15 story tower.  I'd love to see something like this at the Observer site.

IMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

IMG_4078.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4081.JPG

Edited by edmundblackadder1999
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I assume you're familiar with Hudson Yards.  Something like that with the massive sculpture and gardens would be amazing here.

This interactive sculpture will be the size of a 15 story tower.  I'd love to see something like this at the Observer site.

Because 10 acres totally supports this and promotes density :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The eastern portion of the Hudson Yarfs isn't 10 acres, and yet, immediately surrounding that plaza are towers of the following heights 1,295', 1,100', 1,050', 990', and 895', together with a 1.2m sf mall.  That's sufficiently dense to me.

I think that some public gathering space would be ideal for the Observer site.  In addition to Rockefeller Center, the World Trade Center, and the Hudson Yards, another great plaza with shops and restaurants is the World Financial Center in the Wall Street area.  The parks and plazas are on the point of the Hudson near where it opens to the Harbor and then the Atlantic Ocean.  It's a great place to sit and watch the cruise ships going by while enjoying a drink.  Charlotte needs to emulate these great public spaces.

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

IMG_4072.JPG.c272f3d1af278b1f4a5adedb6130b18b.JPG
IMG_4074.thumb.JPG.1ad66a61019af73dda82d48d3ae8f569.JPG
IMG_4075.thumb.JPG.580bd5cbc004f8713d0327e4b25bc59b.JPG
IMG_4076.thumb.JPG.9198fdd5492afd2064bb575e66ea2503.JPG
IMG_4077.JPG.6aa0d8fb8e8a5eb9e265c0616cddec01.JPG
IMG_4078.JPG.1bf36c7f9584675cdc777c070fcf4604.JPG
IMG_4079.thumb.JPG.3ca8664a083e7c635202023a7cb7ff0e.JPG
IMG_4080.thumb.JPG.9486169cd3c2601a4d6ad1466022caff.JPG
IMG_4081.thumb.JPG.3d07c9adbc8d9320b3c1915033668bf4.JPG

I couldn't disagree with you more. No plaza, no fountains, just density. Density, Density, Density

Save all that for a freeway cap. Tryon is like 80% plazas and fountains.

A couple of small fountains/planters with seating and the likes would go well. But I'm assuming you're specifically against the large scale plazas.

Is a 277 cap even in any serious discussions at this point?

On another note, that sculpture or whatever it is in those pictures is moronic. Is it literally just a tall lattice of staircases?

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1

Very nice!

I'd insert a fountains comment, but since I'm the only fountains and sculpture fan, I'll refrain!!

Fountains and sculptures can be a great thing... if they are used appropriately and in moderation. Huge plazas with nothing but a large fountain or statue might be nice to look at for a second, until you realize they are completely devoid of human life. There isn't any interactivity.

It seems as though most of the time developers just use fountains as a gaudy statement to appease their tenants.

Sculptures, like the Firebird at the Bechtler or the many in The Green are totally acceptable because of their location. They serve a purpose-they engage their audience (museum/park goers.) Monstrous statues in the middle of a bank plaza do nothing but fill space with inactivity.

As previously stated, Charlotte needs density. Every inch flattened out to look pretty is another opportunity missed. The Avenue is a good example of space well used. They used every drop of land available to them, and it works. Even the space in front of the arena or inside the epicenter serve a purpose, they host crowds/foot traffic on a regular basis. A massive empty space in front of a bank tower doesn't do a thing for anyone.

• Like 3

YOu all will hate me for a design I'd like.

I would have loved to see A taller version of capitol towers  in the plots facing Tryon. 

I also wouldn't mind a building with the color of One Wells Fargo or SouthPark towers. There's lots of glass along stonewall. DEC, Portman, Tryon Place if built. (And I'm talking about future buildings on this land)

---

I think Bank of America signage is awesome, especially facing a yuge Bank of America sign on the stadium. 

---

It would be awesome if Wells Fargo were looking to occupy new space and to have a Bank of America & Wells Fargo tower going up at once.

---

retail. I'd like to see an epicenter meets Charlotte premium mall. 

Charlotte-Premium-Outlets-14.jpg

editDSC_0059.jpg

---

Wonder if this project breathes life into Tryon Place and maybe Spurs developers in 3rd ward to fill in the few remaining blocks.

3rd ward went from having nothing but parking lots to lots of development, museums, ballpark, Romare park, a Bank of America tower, the possibility of a retail center. It's crazy. This could have been 1st Ward. It could've been levines first Ward urban village.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1