Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

47 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

YOu all will hate me for a design I'd like.

I would have loved to see A taller version of capitol towers  in the plots facing Tryon. 

I also wouldn't mind a building with the color of One Wells Fargo or SouthPark towers. There's lots of glass along stonewall. DEC, Portman, Tryon Place if built. (And I'm talking about future buildings on this land)

---

I think Bank of America signage is awesome, especially facing a yuge Bank of America sign on the stadium. 

---

It would be awesome if Wells Fargo were looking to occupy new space and to have a Bank of America & Wells Fargo tower going up at once.

---

retail. I'd like to see an epicenter meets Charlotte premium mall. 

Charlotte-Premium-Outlets-14.jpg

editDSC_0059.jpg

---

Wonder if this project breathes life into Tryon Place and maybe Spurs developers in 3rd ward to fill in the few remaining blocks.

3rd ward went from having nothing but parking lots to lots of development, museums, ballpark, Romare park, a Bank of America tower, the possibility of a retail center. It's crazy. This could have been 1st Ward. It could've been levines first Ward urban village.

This is a lovely shopping area, but I don't believe this is what we need in the center of town. Property is too expensive and these shops would be wonderful but would have to be in the designated retail areas of uptown towers due to the massive land required for this kind of shopping area and costs of leases, etc. I seriously hope we get good shopping venues uptown (there used to be), but this configuration probably wouldn't be suitable in my opinion unless on the ground floor of Tryon Street (or adjacent) buildings. The parking lots will mostly be gone in the next few years anyway. But, I would certainly like to see something like this uptown somewhere, perhaps downstairs in the new ex-Observer building structure?

Edited by caterpillar2

38 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

This is a lovely shopping area, but I don't believe this is what we need in the center of town. Property is too expensive and these shops would be wonderful but would have to be in the designated retail areas of uptown towers due to the massive land required for this kind of shopping area and costs of leases, etc. I seriously hope we get good shopping venues uptown (there used to be), but this configuration probably wouldn't be suitable in my opinion unless on the ground floor of Tryon Street (or adjacent) buildings. The parking lots will mostly be gone in the next few years anyway. But, I would certainly like to see something like this uptown somewhere, perhaps downstairs in the new ex-Observer building structure?

Yeah. It'd definitely would have to be incorporated in a higher density form like Epicenter and not sprawling 1 story buildings. That's just the aesthetic id like to see

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I couldn't disagree with you more. No plaza, no fountains, just density. Density, Density, Density

Save all that for a freeway cap. Tryon is like 80% plazas and fountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need more people living, working, and just being Uptown.  Don't need wastefully large retail spaces

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

We need more people living, working, and just being Uptown.  Don't need wastefully large retail spaces

I would love to see  boutiques, butcher shops, camera shops, jewelers, magazine shops, gift shops, and other small space retail places that aren't seen on Tryon or main streets. There is some retail shopping available, but if you don't know about Spirit Square and a couple of other places, you just don't see it. 

17 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Retail should encourage people to visit, live and work more uptown. Just like Discovery Place or Epicenter. 

Never seen people come uptown to visit the yuge plaza on Tryon across from latta, 300 south Tryon and the chamber building. Though it is a pretty Plaza. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desert Power said:

Lack of retail is what is discouraging most from living in uptown and relocation from cities like Boston or NYC. You have a vast amount of units of office and residential coming online in the next few months but no retail. People don't wanna take a Uber or Light-rail to a shopping center. 

• Like 1

I'd be happy if there were a couple of large retail spaces plus a rabbit warren of little alleys like Latta throughout the project. This along with traffic calming and street vendors on Tryon and/or Church (or close one of them!) would make for a nice variety and atmosphere. Think Asian ethnic areas  like Shianbashi in Nagasaki (a fav hangout of mine)

Image result for picture of nagasaki shianbashi

• Like 2

9 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I'd be happy if there were a couple of large retail spaces plus a rabbit warren of little alleys like Latta throughout the project. This along with traffic calming and street vendors on Tryon and/or Church (or close one of them!) would make for a nice variety and atmosphere. Think Asian ethnic areas  like Shianbashi in Nagasaki (a fav hangout of mine)

Image result for picture of nagasaki shianbashi

I really like this idea. I would love to see something this scale in Charlotte. Add in a Taipei style night market and we have ourselves something pretty compelling.

2 hours ago, jwntim said:

Heard that the next piece of this puzzle that will be officially kicked off is a residential/hotel tower combination. I dont know which pad it will be on but they are trying to get financing lined up now apparently.

Hopefully, this will be Clt's tallest tower.

A 900 footer by Robert AM Stern would be good!

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

13 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

It's gonna be yuge. 

(Disclaimer: Im Just trolling).

i would love for it to be a W. actually the perfect location. Convention center, museums, BoA stadium, the project itself. 

37 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Hey we will be getting a 200 footer designed by RAMSA at least. 

On 4/6/2017 at 8:23 AM, CLT2014 said:

Nicollet Mall has really gone downhill during the "renovation" that has been nothing more than ripping up the street for two years and re-paving it. Macy's, Barnes and Nobles, the Gap, Office Depot, Jos A Bank, and Sports Authority closed/closing soon leaving large blocks boarded up, several restaurants closed, and the homeless and panhandlers have moved in to occupy most of the benches on the dead streets. Stores are closing by 6PM and many are not open on Sunday. 

It will be interesting to see if it makes a turnaround once the construction stops. This review on TripAdvisor was like my experience there in October: "What a disappointment! Stores are closed or vacant retail space. Off fifth and Marshall's dark, depressing and old retail space- absolutely needs new tenants and a facelift. Wow! Avoid at all costs!"

Article about the push to save the Nicollet Mall from declining: http://www.startribune.com/with-nicollet-mall-in-limbo-downtown-landlords-and-tenants-band-together/413501313/

3 out 5 on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/nicollet-mall-minneapolis
3.5 out of 5 on TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g43323-d144805-Reviews-Nicollet_Mall-Minneapolis_Minnesota.html

While Nicollet Mall has been struggling, the North Loop area of downtown MPLS has been doing very well.  Also, in case you haven't noticed, consumer shopping habits have moved online and several retailers are failing, including many that are / were located along Nicollet Mall. Macy's has been closing stores left and right and won't be around in 5 years. The same can be said for Barnes and Noble, the Gap, and Jos A Bank.  Sport Authority already filed bankruptcy and closed all stores. Saks Off Fifth is doing okay and I'm sure the new Nordstrom Rack (opening in the old Gap space) will do fine as well, but let's face it, retail is struggling everywhere. As far as restaurants are concerned, they come and go, but there are far more restaurants (and variety) in downtown MPLS now than what there was 5 - 10 years ago.   Regarding the homeless and panhandlers, it's not any worse than what one would see in a major city.  That said, downtown Minneapolis's retail / restaurant scene is still doing FAR better than the majority of US cities.

Edited by Twin Citian
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Twin Citian said:

That said, downtown Minneapolis's retail / restaurant scene is still doing FAR better than the majority of US cities.

I think that's why the city was used as a benchmark.

Anyway, the good thing about Charlotte (possibly) getting a retail center is that it will be during a time when it can be built to reflect modern shopping trends. So instead of having a mall built for the past (with say a large anchor like Macy's or Sears) that has failing tenants and leaving large parts of those malls empty, a retail center here could reflect modern times. Maybe the largest anchor being a smaller H&M and such. No Belks or Macy's. Smaller formatted stores. For example Anthropologie is going in SouthEnd. Downtown Greenville has several major retailers. Retail tenants such as Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, and the fancier places I could totally see working. As opposed to the traditional Macy's old school style malls such as the one in downtown Indy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I think that's why the city was used as a benchmark.

Anyway, the good thing about Charlotte (possibly) getting a retail center is that it will be during a time when it can be built to reflect modern shopping trends. So instead of having a mall built for the past (with say a large anchor like Macy's or Sears) that has failing tenants and leaving large parts of those malls empty, a retail center here could reflect modern times. Maybe the largest anchor being a smaller H&M and such. No Belks or Macy's. Smaller formatted stores. For example Anthropologie is going in SouthEnd. Downtown Greenville has several major retailers. Retail tenants such as Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, and the fancier places I could totally see working. As opposed to the traditional Macy's old school style malls such as the one in downtown Indy. 

That's fine.  I was just pointing out that it's not all doom and gloom that some seem to think or are trying to portray.   Downtown MPLS is seeing record numbers in terms of residents, office workers, private investment, hotel rooms, etc.  and areas like North Loop and Downtown East are doing very well.  It will be interesting to see if whether or not Nicollet Mall can recover from the changing retail climate and its recent renovation. 

I would think stores like Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters would really struggle in most US downtown areas.  Stores like H&M, Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, etc.., however, would do well.

Edited by Twin Citian