Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

I'm honestly shocked by the insecurity of some people.  Charlotte is a nice little city, but in my view, Cincinnati is a much nicer little city.  Indianapolis, imo, also blows the doors off of Clt.  I like old architecture.

I find it absurd that anyone would care, let alone be offended by that opinion.

Cincinnati 

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

4 minutes ago, 49er said:

There are plenty of city-data threads out there if you want to get into a city vs. city pissing contest. Can we just talk about this project?

I would like to, but a few numbnuts acted like 5 year olds when I expressed an opinion.

I have spoken highly of this project from the time the first rendering was released and look forward to seeing the progress when I attend Panther games.

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

8 hours ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

If you're so insecure about Charlotte, then you need to consult someone.  In my view, Minneapolis, like many other third tier cities, such as Denver, Austin, Portland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Salt Lake, are better than Charlotte.  

All of the second tier cities (Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Atlanta, and Miami) are better than Charlotte too.  It's my opinion.

No where here do you mention historic buildings. No where. I think people were less concerned with this statement than you other contributions lately, which sound like a certain troll that was banned from there a while back (I think his name was RobertWalpole). You concern yourself with Charlotte not living up to NYC, think that NYC projects would work in Charlotte, and contribute very little with substance. Lots of commonality.

6 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

This is ridiculous.  Fortunately, Chapel Hill is more cosmopolitan.

One last shot across the bow.
None of us are insecure. We'd just like some constructivism vs. a blanket statement. I've lived in New York City for 9 years now, I completely accept the things my hometown lacks vs. cities both of smaller and larger sizes. I've managed to gather a ton of knowledge about how & why these things have occurred. I don't think anyone here is butt hurt about you thinking Charlotte is inferior. 

20 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I don't think anyone here is butt hurt about you thinking Charlotte is inferior. 

I am extremely butt hurt.  As a Chicagoan (by way of Charlotte), nothing galls me more than thinking that Tryon Street is inferior to MagMile.  Nothing.

Anyway...

This building is awful.  Not First Union Plaza awful (which is awful for entirely different reasons), but a squat, third derivative building that would get lost in South Loop isn't exactly the signature project I had in mind looking outside in.  

On a positive note, it's nice to see so many people saying WTF?  Twenty years ago Charlotte would have been thrilled to get this building.  Now, it's like, really gang?  REALLY?

/butt hurt

Edited by Tyrone Wiggum
verb tense
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Since moving back to NC, I thought it would be fun to participate in this forum.

This is ridiculous.  Fortunately, Chapel Hill is more cosmopolitan.

Most of you are great.  For the Insecure, good luck! I'm not interested in childish banter.

I believe that it would be nice if you moved to one of these superior places. You would be happy, and not disrupting an otherwise interesting thread of information. It would be a win-win situation. We have mostly been around and are familiar with the cities you have mentioned and obviously prefer Charlotte. Get over it. 

57 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I'm honestly shocked by the insecurity of some people.  Charlotte is a nice little city, but in my view, Cincinnati is a much nicer little city.  Indianapolis, imo, also blows the doors off of Clt.  I like old architecture.

I find it absurd that anyone would care, let alone be offended by that opinion.

Cincinnati 

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

Are you aware that this thread is about the old "Charlotte Observer" site? Why are you showing this. It is irrelevant. While on the subject, Charlotte is larger than Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus. I know that it is hard to absorb, but again, get over it. (:

Edited by caterpillar2

4 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

I am extremely butt hurt.  As a Chicagoan (by way of Charlotte), nothing galls me more than thinking that Tryon Street is inferior to MagMile.  Nothing.

Anyway...

This building is awful.  Not First Union Plaza awful (which is awful for entirely different reasons), but a squat, third derivative building that would get lost in South Loop isn't exactly the signature project I had in mind looking outside in.  

On a positive note, it's nice to see so many people saying WTF?  Twenty years ago Charlotte would have been thrilled to get this building.  Now, it's like, really gang?  REALLY?

/butt hurt

Nice to see another Chicagoan on this forum! Yea the whole city vs city thing needs to stop. I remember those threads on other forums years ago and those killed the forums.

I agree that this building isn't very attractive per the rendering. I am hoping that it will look different once built. Maybe it will have purple glass and neon lights or something ROFL! Ah....that was such a bad joke. Seriously though, I hope it looks better once built. Maybe the other buildings in the development will help to obscure the ugliness of this tower.

• Like 1

Nice to see another Chicagoan on this forum! Yea the whole city vs city thing needs to stop. I remember those threads on other forums years ago and those killed the forums.
I agree that this building isn't very attractive per the rendering. I am hoping that it will look different once built. Maybe it will have purple glass and neon lights or something ROFL! Ah....that was such a bad joke. Seriously though, I hope it looks better once built. Maybe the other buildings in the development will help to obscure the ugliness of this tower.

I can say for certain nothing else in the development will be within 150-250 feet of the height of this building. Likely toward the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

When Stonewall Station,  Lincoln Harris, and 550 Stonewall is built, I will have seen 37 building built over 200 feet in uptown Charlotte and over 100 project in uptown, midtown and Southend.  I have enjoyed every project that was being built.

Charlotte is now about 865,366 using US Census data.    Charlotte provides more money to the State of North Carolina than any city in NC, but still does not buy us a lot of love from NCGA

Like it or not,  but banking rock Charlotte to the no. 2 banking city in the USA. We have banks in Charlotte that has no branches in NC.  Love when BOA invaded South Tryon with 550,000 sq ft of office space  at LH tower.  Banks have been our biggest office hogs for space.

I agree with your point, even though I'm not a huge fan of the design, there are still many positives to be taken away from this project.

Also, how were you able to estimate the current population?

10 hours ago, drawscape said:

I agree with your point, even though I'm not a huge fan of the design, there are still many positives to be taken away from this project.

Also, how were you able to estimate the current population?

By using US Census data from 2010 to 2015.  Not a true figure but  this is just an estimate.  Us Census has not give Charlotte population for 2016 or 2017.

^ It will need to or Orlando and San Antonio [metros] will overtake us soon, quite a bit before we can supplant Baltimore and St. Louis.  Wrong thread I know.

I have assumed renderings thus far were more massing than anything else, the Observer recently had more "detailed" and flashier images, I like the signature building more after having seen those, hopefully there is accuracy in those.

13 hours ago, mpretori said:

What do we know about this project?

33 something story tower 632ft

BOA occupying 500K

Financing for the next phase in progress 

Now we are back on track :) 

Great. I've been checking this thread waiting for news if we're getting a Great American Cookie or not....

So the UP crystal ball was right. Congrats to those who hinted at a Bank in America anchor. Still weird to think BoA will have a building out there. In 2008 it would've seemed so Random and isolated. For me, it seems like CLT pre-DEC and Epicenter was just yesterday. I remember vividly a member here showing photos of DEC then CO picked up on it. Trademark is still new to me. It's hard to think these buildings are nearly a decade old.

Harris hinted at details of the rest of the phase soon. Any ideas on when "soon" is? I have hopes this will be as transformational as Epicenter & Romare park. Hope I'm not disappointed 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

Wow I was waiting for the blow up.  I think most of us on this forum know that all of NC cities were small in population and prominence wise from 17th to mid 20th century .  Which explains the lack of urban design as compared to other peer cities.  Not too mention what urban renewal did to the urban core of the top 3 cities in the state.  So that is why i say Charlotte needs to embrace its "newness" and go all out.  She doesn't have old bones so there is nothing to hold her back from going vertical on every corner.  Dubai of the south.  Back on topic,  yes this building is underwhelming and yes I think a this cities deserves ultra modern building designs.

I think that Charlotte is one of the most attractive cities in the U.S. If one wants to see old, look at the rectory next to St. Peter's on Tryon Street or ;the1st Presbyterian Church on West Trade. In the 1700s and early 1800s, the few structures we had were wooden and they just don't last. If one wants old, they have to go to a port city.  Bottom line,  am excited about the new building on the Observer site. It will be space well used and my major concern is that we get retail (small shops) with it. Most of our local history is in the surrounding communities since only 2,000 people lived in Charlotte as recently as the Civil War days. 

Edited by caterpillar2