Missmylab4

Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

31 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

exactly. But as Dale says CLT really doesn't have much downtown to save so it's a moot point now.

I'm confused as to what CLT doesn't have. I am going to a Broadway play tonight, have a wonderful dinner at one of the excellent uptown restaurants, go for drinks afterwards, etc. What is missing?  If I were going Christmas shopping, I wouldn't go uptown, but I am not, and I prefer CLT to Cincinnati and most other dirtier but equal in size cities. As I have said, not perfect, but still better than most. 

18 minutes ago, Twin Citian said:

Outstate MN, yes. Twin Cities area not so much.  

I think that the Twin Cities were really great before the Somali invasion. I have been going there on business over the past 30 years. But, still not bad. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, caterpillar2 said:

I'm confused as to what CLT doesn't have. I am going to a Broadway play tonight, have a wonderful dinner at one of the excellent uptown restaurants, go for drinks afterwards, etc. What is missing?  If I were going Christmas shopping, I wouldn't go uptown, but I am not, and I prefer CLT to Cincinnati and most other dirtier but equal in size cities. As I have said, not perfect, but still better than most. 

Christmas shopping would probably rule out about 95% of American downtowns.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I think that the Twin Cities were really great before the Somali invasion. I have been going there on business over the past 30 years. But, still not bad. 

The comment was about old, reused buildings which CLT has hardly none downtown vs the other listed cities. 

Uptown living is not very good for a city this size but I would say it's taken some pretty positive steps in the last year with more to come. Sure, It's just fine to visit for a play or sports event though. Anyhow that's another thread.

• Like 1

I'm honestly shocked by the insecurity of some people.  Charlotte is a nice little city, but in my view, Cincinnati is a much nicer little city.  Indianapolis, imo, also blows the doors off of Clt.  I like old architecture.

I find it absurd that anyone would care, let alone be offended by that opinion.

Cincinnati 

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

4 minutes ago, 49er said:

There are plenty of city-data threads out there if you want to get into a city vs. city pissing contest. Can we just talk about this project?

I would like to, but a few numbnuts acted like 5 year olds when I expressed an opinion.

I have spoken highly of this project from the time the first rendering was released and look forward to seeing the progress when I attend Panther games.

Since moving back to NC, I thought it would be fun to participate in this forum.

This is ridiculous.  Fortunately, Chapel Hill is more cosmopolitan.

Most of you are great.  For the Insecure, good luck! I'm not interested in childish banter.

38 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Since moving back to NC, I thought it would be fun to participate in this forum.

This is ridiculous.  Fortunately, Chapel Hill is more cosmopolitan.

Most of you are great.  For the Insecure, good luck! I'm not interested in childish banter.

I believe that it would be nice if you moved to one of these superior places. You would be happy, and not disrupting an otherwise interesting thread of information. It would be a win-win situation. We have mostly been around and are familiar with the cities you have mentioned and obviously prefer Charlotte. Get over it. 

57 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I'm honestly shocked by the insecurity of some people.  Charlotte is a nice little city, but in my view, Cincinnati is a much nicer little city.  Indianapolis, imo, also blows the doors off of Clt.  I like old architecture.

I find it absurd that anyone would care, let alone be offended by that opinion.

Cincinnati 

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4169.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

Are you aware that this thread is about the old "Charlotte Observer" site? Why are you showing this. It is irrelevant. While on the subject, Charlotte is larger than Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus. I know that it is hard to absorb, but again, get over it. (:

Edited by caterpillar2

I think it is 550,000 sq ft preleased by Bank of America which would make it 65% preleased which is fantastic

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

I am extremely butt hurt.  As a Chicagoan (by way of Charlotte), nothing galls me more than thinking that Tryon Street is inferior to MagMile.  Nothing.

Anyway...

This building is awful.  Not First Union Plaza awful (which is awful for entirely different reasons), but a squat, third derivative building that would get lost in South Loop isn't exactly the signature project I had in mind looking outside in.  

On a positive note, it's nice to see so many people saying WTF?  Twenty years ago Charlotte would have been thrilled to get this building.  Now, it's like, really gang?  REALLY?

/butt hurt

Nice to see another Chicagoan on this forum! Yea the whole city vs city thing needs to stop. I remember those threads on other forums years ago and those killed the forums.

I agree that this building isn't very attractive per the rendering. I am hoping that it will look different once built. Maybe it will have purple glass and neon lights or something ROFL! Ah....that was such a bad joke. Seriously though, I hope it looks better once built. Maybe the other buildings in the development will help to obscure the ugliness of this tower.

• Like 1

Nice to see another Chicagoan on this forum! Yea the whole city vs city thing needs to stop. I remember those threads on other forums years ago and those killed the forums.
I agree that this building isn't very attractive per the rendering. I am hoping that it will look different once built. Maybe it will have purple glass and neon lights or something ROFL! Ah....that was such a bad joke. Seriously though, I hope it looks better once built. Maybe the other buildings in the development will help to obscure the ugliness of this tower.

I can say for certain nothing else in the development will be within 150-250 feet of the height of this building. Likely toward the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, RiverwoodCLT said:

When Stonewall Station,  Lincoln Harris, and 550 Stonewall is built, I will have seen 37 building built over 200 feet in uptown Charlotte and over 100 project in uptown, midtown and Southend.  I have enjoyed every project that was being built.

Charlotte is now about 865,366 using US Census data.    Charlotte provides more money to the State of North Carolina than any city in NC, but still does not buy us a lot of love from NCGA

Like it or not,  but banking rock Charlotte to the no. 2 banking city in the USA. We have banks in Charlotte that has no branches in NC.  Love when BOA invaded South Tryon with 550,000 sq ft of office space  at LH tower.  Banks have been our biggest office hogs for space.

I agree with your point, even though I'm not a huge fan of the design, there are still many positives to be taken away from this project.

Also, how were you able to estimate the current population?

10 hours ago, drawscape said:

I agree with your point, even though I'm not a huge fan of the design, there are still many positives to be taken away from this project.

Also, how were you able to estimate the current population?

By using US Census data from 2010 to 2015.  Not a true figure but  this is just an estimate.  Us Census has not give Charlotte population for 2016 or 2017.