Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

2 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

I think that Charlotte is one of the most attractive cities in the U.S. If one wants to see old, look at the rectory next to St. Peter's on Tryon Street or ;the1st Presbyterian Church on West Trade. In the 1700s and early 1800s, the few structures we had were wooden and they just don't last. If one wants old, they have to go to a port city.  Bottom line,  am excited about the new building on the Observer site. It will be space well used and my major concern is that we get retail (small shops) with it. Most of our local history is in the surrounding communities since only 2,000 people lived in Charlotte as recently as the Civil War days. 

Put another way, Charlotte got big late.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GoldenEagle128 said:

Is there a live cam anywhere to watch the progress like on 300 S. Tryon?

There is no official webcam yet, however, there is a webcam from WBTV's tower (located off Morehead St.). http://www.wbtv.com/category/273331/wbtv-tower-cam

I know it's a good distance away, but it's the best we have right now. Also, member Grodney regularly takes pics of the site from the Duke Energy building.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DEnd said:

It's distance (time really) to the plant rather than size of the project.  Transport cost are about the same either way, unless there is enough water on site which for uptown is unlikely.  That makes the cost driver on plant location dependent on if they can get the concrete to the job site quick enough.  I've done projects where I mixed yards of concrete on site simply because I couldn't get concrete to me fast enough for me to test it and pour it.  Other times I've paid the premium for a less than load because they can get it to me fast enough and it was still cheaper than renting and working a mixer.  This is because concrete starts to "set" as soon as it is mixed.  We can add water for a bit to help keeping it flowing, but we have to be very careful as adding water can weaken it.  Once the chemical reaction starts it will continue to accelerate, adding water also helps slow this acceleration but it won't stop it.  This is because the reaction is "exothermic" meaning it gives off heat, as it gives off heat part of that is used by the chemical reaction to accelerate that reaction.  Adding water removes some of that heat leaving less energy to accelerate the chemical reaction.  Regardless we generally only have about 1 and 1/2 hours to get the concrete out of the truck and maybe another 30 minutes to work it before it becomes unusable. 

Knowledge bomb dropped

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DEnd said:

It's distance (time really) to the plant rather than size of the project.  Transport cost are about the same either way, unless there is enough water on site which for uptown is unlikely.  That makes the cost driver on plant location dependent on if they can get the concrete to the job site quick enough.  I've done projects where I mixed yards of concrete on site simply because I couldn't get concrete to me fast enough for me to test it and pour it.  Other times I've paid the premium for a less than load because they can get it to me fast enough and it was still cheaper than renting and working a mixer.  This is because concrete starts to "set" as soon as it is mixed.  We can add water for a bit to help keeping it flowing, but we have to be very careful as adding water can weaken it.  Once the chemical reaction starts it will continue to accelerate, adding water also helps slow this acceleration but it won't stop it.  This is because the reaction is "exothermic" meaning it gives off heat, as it gives off heat part of that is used by the chemical reaction to accelerate that reaction.  Adding water removes some of that heat leaving less energy to accelerate the chemical reaction.  Regardless we generally only have about 1 and 1/2 hours to get the concrete out of the truck and maybe another 30 minutes to work it before it becomes unusable. 

Thank you for this. Highway construction may use portable mix plants because of distance and time from fixed plant and losses from transport. A mix plant on site for building construction also takes valuable territory better served by other trades, materials storage and so on, I assume. Thanks again for the lesson. Less ignorance in the world today.

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Thank you for this. Highway construction may use portable mix plants because of distance and time from fixed plant and losses from transport. A mix plant on site for building construction also takes valuable territory better served by other trades, materials storage and so on, I assume. Thanks again for the lesson. Less ignorance in the world today.

Basically yeah.  There are sometimes other reasons like a need to raise the productivity of the concrete truck drivers, or use of onsite recycled aggregate, but generally it is a delivery time issue. 

I posted this under Carolina Panthers but does anyone have an idea or guess? Wonder how high the Lincoln Harris Bank of America tower will be for the 2 night games Oct 12 and Nov. 13? I hope they light up the tower greatly those nights during nationally televised games! 

• Like 2

I'm gonna say they'll be at about 15-20 stories for the October game and maybe 20-25 for November.   That's literally just a Wild A** Guess on my part, based on one floor a week with some delays and a few extra weeks to really get off the ground and going. 

• Like 1

I knew this guys twin existed somewhere. Presenting Seattle's 318' W Hotel. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more towers on this site with a pyramid crown, cuz its 1996 ya'll. 

518620-Large-exterior-view-from-the-east.jpg

518632-Large-exterior-view-from-madison-renaissance-hotel.jpg

1 minute ago, cltcane said:

Don't knock 1996, RDF.  It was a good year.  There was a Clinton in the White House, an affable and pragmatic Pat McCrory had just been elected Charlotte's youngest mayor, the Summer Olympics were just down the road in Atlanta, Blackstreet gave us 'No Diggity', the Panthers made the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, and the Hornets drafted and then immediately traded future 18x NBA All-Star Kobe Bryant to the Lakers for Vlade Divac, a move that would ensure the team's status as a perennial championship contender for the next two decades.

amazing.