Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

That is awesome.  Any ideas when that phase might be developed?  If they add retail along mint that creates a nice pedestrian experience, and they also hide the garage, that little sliver of land could go a long way toward making or breaking the overall project.  Even if it is only a handful of days over the course of the year, I can't wait to see what impact that has on the game-day environment as well.

In regards to game-day, aside from the retail aspect, I think this project could actually detract from the experience for some.

Now, trust me, I'm all for the redevelopment of every last parking lot. But the lot across Mint was one of the last true prime tailgating spots that every fan got to participate in if they wanted. It added to the gameday experience as you entered the stadium, all of the lively activity within that lot always brought a sense of community and grit to uptown--made everything seem less sterile and corporate. But, granted, that's only for 8-10 days a year, so it's an acceptable loss.

I don't like that they chose to have a parking deck entrance on Mint. That seems like it's not going to work out very well on game days (if their goal is to rake in some cash, at least. 3546 spots x at least $20 x at least 8 game-days (not including other events) is definitely nothing to scoff at. But on the scale of costs of this project, it's just a drop in the bucket.

In a perfect world, the entrance would be subterranean coming off of Hill St; but that's probably way too cost prohibitive.

5 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

In regards to game-day, aside from the retail aspect, I think this project could actually detract from the experience for some.

Now, trust me, I'm all for the redevelopment of every last parking lot. But the lot across Mint was one of the last true prime tailgating spots that every fan got to participate in if they wanted. It added to the gameday experience as you entered the stadium, all of the lively activity within that lot always brought a sense of community and grit to uptown--made everything seem less sterile and corporate. But, granted, that's only for 8-10 days a year, so it's an acceptable loss.

I don't like that they chose to have a parking deck entrance on Mint. That seems like it's not going to work out very well on game days (if their goal is to rake in some cash, at least. 3546 spots x at least $20 x at least 8 game-days (not including other events) is definitely nothing to scoff at. But on the scale of costs of this project, it's just a drop in the bucket.

In a perfect world, the entrance would be subterranean coming off of Hill St; but that's probably way too cost prohibitive.

I would hope the top level of the deck is being designed for tailgating (which would require a lot of additional structure cost and evacuation egress space)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

That is awesome.  Any ideas when that phase might be developed?  If they add retail along mint that creates a nice pedestrian experience, and they also hide the garage, that little sliver of land could go a long way toward making or breaking the overall project.  Even if it is only a handful of days over the course of the year, I can't wait to see what impact that has on the game-day environment as well.

A birdie told me there is a 30+ floor residential building drawn for that space, but I dunno how reliable the birdie is, its a new birdie, lol. I'm hoping two floors of retail, and 33 floors of residential. I'd imagine the massing would be like this.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 10.48.15 AM.png

26 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

Fair point.  I was mostly considering retail, maybe including a restaurant or two with TVs and an outdoor seating area.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dylansukkert said:

Can we please get rooftop bars facing the stadium?! Just adding to the gameday experience! 

I'm doubtful a residential tower gets a public rooftop bar. I'm pretty confident all residential will front stonewall and Mint, and all hotel/office will front Tryon. 

48 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm doubtful a residential tower gets a public rooftop bar. I'm pretty confident all residential will front stonewall and Mint, and all hotel/office will front Tryon. 

Ah, I guess I was a little confused. I was hoping for a 2-3 floor bar/restaurant with a rooftop bar facing the stadium on South Mint.... something like the Dog House but open all year round, or maybe anything with a patio facing the stadium to still give that area somewhat of a tailgate feel on gamedays.

1 minute ago, dylansukkert said:

Ah, I guess I was a little confused. I was hoping for a 2-3 floor bar/restaurant with a rooftop bar facing the stadium on South Mint.... something like the Dog House but open all year round, or maybe anything with a patio facing the stadium to still give that area somewhat of a tailgate feel on gamedays.

The little building on the corner of MLK and Graham is going to basically be that. 

25 minutes ago, DMann said:

Is this the infamous "Home Plate" of the Furman design?

Homeplate is dead. There is still plans in the works for that site, but its not Furman controlled any longer. 

I'm talking about the little squat building, thats becoming a neighborhood sports bar with a rooftop deck. 

grahma-st-pub-rendering-e1483930283283.png

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Just now catching up on all this chatter. Man. A 30-ish story residential building right behind BofA stadium is going to have some priceless views on game day. 

I am sure the developer will try to assign those views a fairly high price :)

• Like 4

Do you think the residential $/sq would have to come in below the failed project near the bus station (forget the name) or is this location so compelling it could demand that price or every higher?

Edited by elrodvt

On 5/5/2017 at 8:52 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Don't discount the space left over. There is 24,500 sq feet of space left over for retail. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 9.49.47 AM.png

More than width than I thought, though think that would have to be shrunk a bit on both left and right sides for non-abutment to parking structure, and increased setback form road for outdoor/crowd space, but yes, that.  Two story structure, with open on the terrace roof.

8 hours ago, mpretori said:

Can't see whats in here. Someone know? It's paywalled 

Lincoln Harris president talks current projects, development cycle

The only stuff we have not already discussed here: 

1) they just closed on their construction financing which they wanted to get done before the French election #Globalization!

2) he talked obliquely about loosing some 'significant' tenants due to HB2

EDIT: The HB2 quote:

"I don't think people realize that the minute HB2 passed, the faucet turned off. The companies we were talking to — and I can tell you, we lost significant companies that I'm not sure are going to come back

Edited by kermit

15 minutes ago, kermit said:

The only stuff we have not already discussed here: 

1) they just closed on their construction financing which they wanted to get done before the French election

2) he talked obliquely about loosing some 'significant' tenants due to HB2

I think he was talking about relo prospects for Charlotte in general not necessarily for this project. He said Bank of America was on board from day one when they announced they were buying the land and developing a mixed used project. 

• Like 1

hmmmmm....interesting....

CoStar just listed new space for lease in a 2nd tower.  504k sq ft over 16 stories...the bottom 4 floors being huge 48k sq ft floorplates....address listed at 650 S Tryon.  No renderings or any other interesting information.  No space noted as pre-leased.

CoStar's data is sometimes suspect, but they usually don't just make up completely new buildings.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

CoStar just listed new space for lease in a 2nd tower.  504k sq ft over 16 stories...the bottom 4 floors being huge 48k sq ft floorplates....address listed at 650 S Tryon.  No renderings or any other interesting information.  No space noted as pre-leased.

CoStar's data is sometimes suspect, but they usually don't just make up completely new buildings.

what this tells me is that Bank of America may take most if not all of the space in the first tower. every article says at least 550,000 sq ft so maybe they are in talks for more and now a more speculative tower is proposed. Lets see who could need it maybe US Bank maybe Ally Bank both which are growing in town. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Just confirmed this with a contact. They added a second proposed tower this morning. I'm kind of pissed. Didn't want any more than 200k office more on this site. but it explains the recent massive ramp up in parking. There is still enough parking for an additional 1.5-2M sq feet of development beyond these two towers IMHO.