Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

19 minutes ago, Missmylab4 said:

So this would be in addition to the residential building too? Would they aim to break ground on them in tandem? 

Haha, no residential has been announced to break ground in tandem. Also them posting this building on CoStar means that they have nearly completely filled their 850k officer tower and are testing the waters for an additional tower. Costar is a Market Analytics site used in the CRE industry.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Also them posting this building on CoStar means that they have nearly completely filled their 850k officer tower and are testing the waters for an additional tower. Costar is a Market Analytics site used in the CRE industry.

and they want to prevent Tryon Place from getting any traction.

Just now, kermit said:

and they want to prevent Tryon Place from getting any traction.

Basically. JLL and Crescent breathed a big sigh of relief when the BofA news came out and they didn't have to compete with another tower. Welp, guess who's back, back again.

8 minutes ago, Missmylab4 said:

So I'm guessing the aforementioned tower that was hinted at with the new deck news belongs to this spec office tower? 

I would say absolutely not. I'd say this tower would go at the corner of Stonewall and Tryon or partially overlapping the base of the first tower along Hill/Tryon. That aforementioned tower is on a parcel more suitable for residential. Lets be honest, nobody is going to build Class AA uptown with a Mint Street address. 

You are looking at 48k sq feet in this parcel. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 3.31.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 3.31.47 PM.png

Edited by Guest

Based on the address 650 S Tryon it would be the corner with Hill and S Tryon not at Stonewall or Mint. Again it makes sense to do an office tower next to a freeway for visibility naming rights etc. As for Costar they are testing the waters I am sure but it could be legitimate proposal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Based on the address 650 S Tryon it would be the corner with Hill and S Tryon not at Stonewall or Mint. Again it makes sense to do an office tower next to a freeway for visibility naming rights etc. As for Costar they are testing the waters I am sure but it could be legitimate proposal. 

You can't fit 48k floor plate at Hill and Tryon. 28-30k MAX. You could build 30k for the first 4 floors and have an additional 20-30k built on top of the deck attached to 620 S. Tryon. 

Edited by Guest

Dumb question. If a 3rd ward resident, such as myself, went to a city council meeting and asked for information on this project since it is near my house are they obligated in any way to communicate wth is happening? Who is watching these people and making sure the site doesn't turn into all office space or a really lame retail area to placate people? Why is there no notification to the community regarding development in the area. This process and the lack of community involvement holding the developers feet to the fire is so foreign to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Dumb question. If a 3rd ward resident, such as myself, went to a city council meeting and asked for information on this project since it is near my house are they obligated in any way to communicate wth is happening? Who is watching these people and making sure the site doesn't turn into all office space or a really lame retail area to placate people? Why is there no notification to the community regarding development in the area. This process and the lack of community involvement holding the developers feet to the fire is so foreign to me.

You should go to a Council Meeting and say exactly that, honestly.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You can't fit 48k floor plate at Hill and Tryon. 

Really then how do you explain the address? Could it be over the parking deck along Mint but fronting S Tryon? They have to have an idea that is what the address would be or they would not have put it out there? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Really then how do you explain the address? Could it be over the parking deck along Mint but fronting S Tryon? They have to have an idea that is what the address would be or they would not have put it out there? 

I can't argue with the address lol. Its more ATLRVRs mention of a 48k floorplate for the first 4 floors. 

6 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Why doesn't LH raise their current tower? Is the spec so huge that it requires another mid-rise? 

I'm assuming construction costs, and redesign of the present tower to take it from 620 feet to 950+ would be too great. Also who the hell wants a sandblasted concrete beige tower to be a new tall? I'd rather have a 300 foot and 600 foot office tower. 

I'm also going to speculate that it's at Tryon and Hill based on:

1) The address (though not certain if LH gave them the address of if that was CoStar needing to plug in a #)

2) If it was at Tryon/Hill they could use the service garage for loading, etc that is going up for the BofA tower....if they locate it at Stonewall, they would have to build a duplicate service area.

3) BofA would be really peeved if their views go blocked, even with a shorter tower.....I suspect, whatever goes along Stonewall will be more midrise, or much smaller floorplates.

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm assuming construction costs, and redesign of the present tower to take it from 620 feet to 950+ would be too great. Also who the hell wants a sandblasted concrete beige tower to be a new tall? I'd rather have a 300 foot and 600 foot office tower. 

Id rather have a mega tower than 2 office towers IMO. They are in the beginning stages so not like they cant change materials unless pre-ordered. Personally a 300ft office building is a insult to that parcel.  

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Why doesn't LH raise their current tower? Is the spec so huge that it requires another mid-rise? 

They are at the magic 32 stories right now....any more and they would need additional elevator shafts, which would eat into the sq ft of lower floors and greatly increase the cost.  The rents that they would need for the higher floors would need to be much higher to offset this cost.

Related to that, that means either BofA would need to pay more in rent (because they are taking the top 2/3 of the building right now), or allow a new tenant to enter their building and take the higher floors....I suspect they would rather have fewer tenants on their turf.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the next anchor is another bank (US Bank or Ally perhaps???)  BofA probably doesn't want to share a tower with another bank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Basically. JLL and Crescent breathed a big sigh of relief when the BofA news came out and they didn't have to compete with another tower. Welp, guess who's back, back again.

This is shaping up to become SouthPark North. 90's PoMo architecture and a huge surface parking lot across the street.

9 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I'm also going to speculate that it's at Tryon and Hill based on:

1) The address (though not certain if LH gave them the address of if that was CoStar needing to plug in a #)

2) If it was at Tryon/Hill they could use the service garage for loading, etc that is going up for the BofA tower....if they locate it at Stonewall, they would have to build a duplicate service area.

3) BofA would be really peeved if their views go blocked, even with a shorter tower.....I suspect, whatever goes along Stonewall will be more midrise, or much smaller floorplates.

Well....scratch #1....CoStar just changed to 600 S Tryon....so who knows if that means it's at the corner of Stonewall, or they just reassigned a generic address to indicate that block.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

They are at the magic 32 stories right now....any more and they would need additional elevator shafts, which would eat into the sq ft of lower floors and greatly increase the cost.  The rents that they would need for the higher floors would need to be much higher to offset this cost.

Related to that, that means either BofA would need to pay more in rent (because they are taking the top 2/3 of the building right now), or allow a new tenant to enter their building and take the higher floors....I suspect they would rather have fewer tenants on their turf.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the next anchor is another bank (US Bank or Ally perhaps???)  BofA probably doesn't want to share a tower with another bank.

Not to mention someone like US Bank is going to want their name on their own building. Nobody is going to take 30% of a vanity building in a 3rd tier market and be okay with not having their name on it. 

Just now, atlrvr said:

Well....scratch #1....CoStar just changed to 600 S Tryon....so who knows if that means it's at the corner of Stonewall, or they just reassigned a generic address to indicate that block.

I emailed them for clarification after you said 48k sq foot floor plate at 650. My B.