Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 5/23/2017 at 11:00 AM, 49er said:

This is a new rendering and angle I haven't seen yet. They keep tweaking the building and it is finally growing on me.

tower.jpg

It's definitely not the most exciting building in the world, but it's not bad. Every building doesn't need to be a glass box. I think it would be cool if they'd switch out the 90s crown with something less boring... but I'm assuming they'll light it up like all of the other building crowns in uptown.

• Like 4

This new building was discussed a lot in the Nashville UP site as someone started it off saying they would rather have this new tower than a parking podium office tower going up there by Hines. (It looks like our Ascent tower) then others went on to say it looks like the 90s etc. same complaints people have said here. Then someone complained that is was surrounded by grass LOL and I am corrected them on that. I did not say we have a secretive developer who only released this building rendering because it was underway already. Anyway here is the thread if you are interested 

Basically the 3 office buildings going up in Nashville are about the size of the 615 South College tower not all that huge. However they have a lot of hotels and apartment towers going up in their downtown. Our office towers are much taller and bigger because our banks and office users have big space needs. 

• Like 1

I like the building, and am looking forward to seeing how the remainder of the project space takes shape.  

Also, this new 600+ foot tower will nicely cap off an impressive 2010 decade for Uptown development.  

• Like 4

Dear Lincoln Harris,

Please put a webcam up so we can see your wonderful new Bank of America Tower rising. Your Capitol Towers are finished in SouthPark  you can relocate the camera from that location.   (Maybe Duke would allow you to put it on top of 526 S Church and you can do the same when they build their new highrise) Thanks in advance! Please. 

Urban Planet of CLT 

• Like 4

Well this is fun

Pedestrian Bridge Easement Action:

A. Adopt a resolution granting an Air Rights Passageway Easement for a Pedestrian Bridge across South Church Street between West Stonewall Street and West Hill Street,

B. Accept $67,350 for an Air Rights Passageway Easement over South Church Street from GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC., and

C. Adopt a budget ordinance appropriating $67,350 from GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC. Staff Resource(s):

Explanation

§ GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC is redeveloping the old Charlotte Observer site on both sides of South Church Street between West Stonewall Street and West Hill Street.

§ GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC is proposing a pedestrian bridge, linking the two blocks comprising the development.

§ The proposed development will include up to 5,000,000 square feet, including office, hotel, retail, residential and open space components.

§ Staff supports the request to grant an Air Rights Passageway Easement be granted for the pedestrian bridge over South Church Street in exchange for the fair market value of that easement.

§ The proposed pedestrian bridge is in conformance with the City’s Overstreet Walkway Policy.

§ Engineering & Property Management has determined the cost of the easement and the value has been agreed to by the City and GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Well this is fun

A. Adopt a resolution granting an Air Rights Passageway Easement for a Pedestrian Bridge across South Church Street between West Stonewall Street and West Hill Street,

B. Accept $67,350 for an Air Rights Passageway Easement over South Church Street from GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC., and

C. Adopt a budget ordinance appropriating $67,350 from GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC. Staff Resource(s):

Explanation

§ GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC is redeveloping the old Charlotte Observer site on both sides of South Church Street between West Stonewall Street and West Hill Street.

§ GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC is proposing a pedestrian bridge, linking the two blocks comprising the development.

§ The proposed development will include up to 5,000,000 square feet, including office, hotel, retail, residential and open space components.

§ Staff supports the request to grant an Air Rights Passageway Easement be granted for the pedestrian bridge over South Church Street in exchange for the fair market value of that easement.

§ The proposed pedestrian bridge is in conformance with the City’s Overstreet Walkway Policy.

§ Engineering & Property Management has determined the cost of the easement and the value has been agreed to by the City and GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, LLC.

I'm not happy about the pedestrian britch requirement by the city. Lame. There is a promenade for christ sakes. 

That said, 

FIVE

MILLION

SQUARE 

FEET

22 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Well this is fun

Explanation

Is this for real? If so, bravo!

On 8/3/2016 at 11:19 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Screw it. I'll just share it. 

The scope I heard a 6 months back was:

$2B +

1.2M office, 800-1000 hotel, 1000 residential, 200-300k retail. 

I don't want people thinking this massive site will only have a single office tower, so I'll take one for the team.

Did the scope increase from this? @ricky_davis_fan_21

I was basically just wondering how far under construction this tower will be, before the other projects get started?  With 5M sqft, seems like they would want to start some of the other projects soon-ish.  Also, was thinking that if there is a place in Charlotte to build a condo tower right now, it would be here.  If what I'm envisioning for this site comes to fruition, this will be one of the hottest areas Uptown.  We have a bazillion apartments being built and I think if priced decently (not like1 Brevard), then I think they would sell very quickly.  If not a whole condo tower, I hope we get something like a Hotel & Residences (cough, cough, W lol).  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

Hmmm, did Duke get the new Duke tower thread removed? I can't see it.

anyway, Eric Spanberg reports that the city is considering subsidies for a 1,000 room convention hotel. I would think the new Duke parcel would be the most likely location followed by the observer project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/06/28/city-eyes-publicly-funded-convention-hotel.html

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

anyway, Eric Spanberg reports that the city is considering subsidies for a 1,000 room convention hotel. I would think the new Duke parcel would be the most likely location followed by the observer project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/06/28/city-eyes-publicly-funded-convention-hotel.html

I honestly think the most likely would be Lincoln Harris for the soul fact Johno was parading around town saying he had a 1000 room hotel get killed by HB2

16 minutes ago, kermit said:

Yes where did the Duke tower thread go I dont see it either. This site deals with a lot of rumors, wannabe towers but to snuff it out because they are not ready to talk about it is crazy. How about a thread called 522 South College where we can discuss the parking lot then? Duke bought this land to build a tower pure and simple I get they might not be ready to announce anything but that is being insane. The  Duke stockholders should demand to know why they bought and spent $24 million on a parking lot??? A new power plant or substation I think not. 

• Like 1