Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

3 hours ago, Dale said:

We won the lottery over Cleveland, getting Pelli's far better effort.

Not to stray too far off topic, but I love seeing Pelli's work through different periods of time. He certainly went through a prolific period of the granite buildings. Not just BOACC and Key Tower, but also One Canada Sq (London), Wells Fargo Center (Minneapolis), 777 Tower (LA), and 181 Madison (Chicago). They all have extremely similar characteristics, and very much happen to be some of his most celebrated works. He sometimes catches flack for recycling designs, but hey, if something works, don't reinvent the wheel.

Also, BOACC is one of the pinnacle buildings of the post-modern era. I would put it and Wells Fargo Center at the top of the list of greatest Pelli works.

• Like 2

After looking up those other buildings (some of which I wasn't even aware existed to be honest), Pelli certainly had a certain style at that time. 

I think the reason that Charlotte got a better looking tower is that it was intended to be and still is the signature tower for Charlotte. In london, chicago, or los angeles, his designs were made to fit into the skylines better rather than define them.

Edit:@Matthew.Brendan That picture reminded me of how much I LOVE Cleveland's courthouse. I really hope Charlotte gets something classy and timeless (and also tall would be nice).

Edited by Nick2

Off topic, but I think that Key building is ugly. Doesn't compare to BoA in CLT or ATL. 

I like the BoA logos on this building. Especially beside the stadium. Of course BoA will have those red signs outside the building like at Hearst and 1BAC & Corp. It'll be Bank of America overload on that side of town. 

4 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

The one in Cleveland is all colored precast concrete. The one in Charlotte is granite from base to crown. I'll take Charlotte's.

BofA also doesn't have a terrible logo at the top like Key does. Charlotte wins again.

Minus the spire, the height difference is pretty negligible anyway.

I have said along that Bank of America is growing in Charlotte and I dont believe they will give up much space anywhere else uptown when this new tower opens. Does anyone think 578 current openings in Charlotte is a lot? That is what their website is showing more than any city in country. Many seem to be in technology and capital markets. http://careers.bankofamerica.com/search-jobs.aspx?c=united-states&r=us   

Some of these job descriptions are really detailed and specialized. Any of you bankers out there may be able to tell us what you think of this. I have followed these open positions for a while and has been above 500 for the last 6 months now it is  even getting higher. Only a handful at the branch level and they are also looking for a pilot! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

I Know they've been laying a lot of people off in Global Technologies due to a restructuring.

Also they're trying to be less reliant on offshore and replace them with onshore employees and maybe contractors. They have a certain percentage they want to reach. 

I think 500 positions will be pretty much a wash. Space is needed though. At least where Technologies sits. 

TransAmerica, Odell, 5/3, Gateway, Independence Center and Corp. are where most of technology sits now. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, atlrvr said:

Regarding BofA Plaza.....BofA leases ~415k there.

~85k sq ft (floors 18-21) were put up as available for lease in 2019.  On floors 3-17, I assume that was the space extended to 2020, and perhaps they will be keeping all that space???

• Like 1

I'm going to fly down for the Nov. 5th panthers game, my seats have a great uptown view. I expect this building to be 17-19 floors by then. I expect when I fly back for the NFC championship game (see what I did there [emoji6]) it'll be topped out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm going to fly down for the Nov. 5th panthers game, my seats have a great uptown view. I expect this building to be 17-19 floors by then. I expect when I fly back for the NFC championship game (see what I did there emoji6.png) it'll be topped out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you really think it will top out by December?  That would be great. 

When might the facade start rising?