Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

30 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Yeah. Without overstreet, people wouldn't venture as far as they do from their office. People just want to eat their chick-fil-a & go. And besides, plenty of people already do go outside to epicenter, Hearst tower, etc for food anyway. 

My wife worked in Bank of America Corporate Center, for 21 years, packed her lunch and rarely ventured outside her office.

Edited by Dale

5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Let me tell you about my journey to Eden.

I remember the dark times. The horror. The shrieking. It was said that the end times were near - that night would appear in the middle of the afternoon. It was what the commoners refer to as "Monday." I managed to survive another journey to the center of hell, driving dozens of miles in a steel cage while fighting off the thousands of other slaves on the ironically named Independence Boulevard who seek to destroy me by not using their left turn signal.

I arrived at my grey-walled penance chamber at 8 am. They were half-walls so the slaver drivers could watch me work my red Swingline stapler, and so the other slaves could distract me with meaningless banter and kitty memes. My torture chamber is not special. It exists along side hundreds of others in a tower stacked 35 stories into the sky- so tall that some say it scrapes the clouds as they pass. I hate my life. But there is one saving grace to my daily routine: Eden. In Eden, there are many forms of delight. There are drinks made of fruit so sweet you can get type two diabetes, food so delicious you will gain weight just looking at it, plenty of beautiful women, and fat-free ice cream.

The only way to access Eden is to brave another battle with the slaves. I must descend further into the depths of hell: the sidewalk. The sidewalk is a special kind of misery. On the sidewalk I must endure the wrath of mother nature for over two blocks. This day, like most others, is awful. The sun is out, birds are singing, a troupe of wild children attached to a rope make their way to the science center, and the green trees cast a delightful shade on to the thousands that pass. The man yelling positive things at the top of his lungs catches my eye and said "Jesus loves YOU." I hate it. The happiness eats at my soul. Only my desire for the flesh of a maimed foul keeps me moving.

After walking an eternity, possibly five long grueling minutes, I made it to Eden. There, the glorious aromas and colors soothe the soul. What I sought was a delicious, pristine piece of processed meat, deep-fried in what I can only assume is pure love. It comes in a red and white box, with a side of more deep-fried vegetables in the shape of a waffle, and a piece of lettuce to make it nutritious. After ordering and waiting what seemed like seconds, I took my seat and took a drink of my tea and a bite of my sandwich. I had arrived in heaven.

As I sat there, I thought of the stare from the Jesus-yeller as he attempted to deafen me. I continued to eat. After a few minutes, a weird feeling came upon me. I started seeing things in my mind. Was it a vision? A sign from God? YES! The solution to the torture. It will come from concrete, glass, and steel. No, not more skyscrapers. Glass tubes. These non-pneumatic tubes will connect from tower to tower, whisking people directly to Eden. It's so simple I can't believe the slavers had not thought of it. People will sing songs about me for generations as they hail the architectural genius. They will build statues on pedestals so people on the sidewalk will not have a chance to enjoy it. Brilliance. It's proof that Eden continues to inspire, and I now have something to live for.

Who needs to go to church ? Find a sidewalk eatery and touch the face of God. Third Heaven reserved for those who find a food truck when it's rainy and cold.

Dale: "Besides, why should office workers have to brave the rain and the cold just to satiate some urban geek's notion of what a city should look like ?"

Rewrite that as "why should a person who lives downtown have a say over how it is re-developed". Well, if it's not obvious to you, I want where I live to be nicer. It's not an abstract concept for me as you seem to think. 

I know a lot (most?) of you don't live downtown, and while having some interest in an abstract concept of urbanism,  you primarily just want to make sure you don't have to pay tolls ;-) or wait in traffic to get home to your suburban enclave. I get that. It's your choice, I've done it during a different phase in my life, and I don't insult you for making it. OTH, if one of the few people who actually LIVE in the downtown area have an opinion they shouldn't be labeled an urban geek and their opinion should be given some weight.

Fair enough?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Dale: "Besides, why should office workers have to brave the rain and the cold just to satiate some urban geek's notion of what a city should look like ?"

Rewrite that as "why should a person who lives downtown have a say over how it is re-developed". Well, if it's not obvious to you, I want where I live to be nicer. It's not an abstract concept for me as you seem to think. 

I know a lot (most?) of you don't live downtown, and while having some interest in an abstract concept of urbanism,  you primarily just want to make sure you don't have to pay tolls ;-) or wait in traffic to get home to your suburban enclave. I get that. It's your choice, I've done it during a different phase in my life, and I don't insult you for making it. OTH, if one of the few people who actually LIVE in the downtown area have an opinion they shouldn't be labeled an urban geek and their opinion should be given some weight.

Fair enough?

Why should you get to strong-arm people who work downtown just because you live downtown ? Are you okay with a diversity of preferences ?

So you want Chik-Fil-A, Salsaritas, etc to be street facing so the suburbanites make you feel like it's a bigger city?

Anyway, I know we have Studio Movie Grille at Epicenter. But I would love to see a large AMC movie theater with an IMAX at Legacy Union. Among other retail stores. Not necessarily a mall, but a decent mix of soft goods. 

I feel like an "attraction" like a movie theater would lure people around center city. It would support other retail and restaurant traffic. NFL & Minor League baseball foot traffic could bleed towards Legacy Union amongst typical residents, office workers, convention center folks. 

If a movie theater did go to Legacy Union. I wonder if SMG would survive. If not, I wonder if an urban target could go there and not murder its midtown location. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

So you want Chik-Fil-A, Salsaritas, etc to be street facing so the suburbanites make you feel like it's a bigger city?

Anyway, I know we have Studio Movie Grille at Epicenter. But I would love to see a large AMC movie theater with an IMAX at Legacy Union. Among other retail stores. Not necessarily a mall, but a decent mix of soft goods. 

I feel like an "attraction" like a movie theater would lure people around center city. It would support other retail and restaurant traffic. NFL & Minor League baseball foot traffic could bleed towards Legacy Union amongst typical residents, office workers, convention center folks. 

If a movie theater did go to Legacy Union. I wonder if SMG would survive. If not, I wonder if an urban target could go there and not murder its midtown location. 

Hah! Good point. And it is nice McD and Chix are hidden from view which I hadn't thought of.

I don't think you can deny that if the tubes were not there then there would be a more bustling street scene and good things would happen such as more of a food truck scene and more places like Amelie's that cater to the business crowd and residents?

I would love to see a replacement for SMG. That places stinks. Can't even get a darn popcorn and drink before the movie starts and you have to tip for that!! Just give me a stand to go to for crying out loud. rant off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

What are you talking about? I didn't strong-arm anyone. you said I had an "urban geeks notion". No, I want where I live to be nicer not satisfy some urbanist abstract concept. 

All I'm saying is that 99% of the people who work downtown, whom also have a stake in downtown, probably like a climate-controlled area for convenience shopping.

10 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I wonder when they will get to the point where they will complete about one floor a week?

Honestly, with the current floor plate size, and the fact they haven't started the midrise portion, they should be completing around that currently. 

Am I the only one who this project has grown on? I mean the tower isn't amazing (it's fairly nice) but its quite exciting to be back in the 80s/90s! Looking forward to seeing a more classic design among the glass towers that will be at S Tryon and Stonewall.

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Am I the only one who this project has grown on? I mean the tower isn't amazing (it's fairly nice) but its quite exciting to be back in the 80s/90s! Looking forward to seeing a more classic design among the glass towers that will be at S Tryon and Stonewall.

I've always liked it a lot. Not necessarily from the odd angle it showed at first, but I imagined it would look good from the other angles and another rendering confirmed my thoughts.

It makes me wish that Condo tower on Morehead with the golden crown was built. I would love to see that same design built in Brooklyn Village. 

What I'm going to judge this project off of is the base. 

13 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Image result for city creek centerImage result for city creek centerImage result for city creek center nordstrom

I would love to see something similar to City Creek Center in downtown Salt Lake City built at this development or elsewhere in Uptown.

Honestly I'm expecting a 200-250k version of this, maybe without the Department stores. 

Then again I've heard Harris Teeter tied to the site (as well as Brooklyn Village), which makes me all kinds of MEH. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Honestly I'm expecting a 200-250k version of this, maybe without the Department stores. 

Then again I've heard Harris Teeter tied to the site (as well as Brooklyn Village), which makes me all kinds of MEH. 

So 2/3 the size of Charlotte Premium mall?

I wouldn't mind Harris Teeter if it were away from retailers like clothing stores. If there was a side dedicated to say Harris Teeter, Target, Rite Aid, etc. it would be nice. 

Id absolutely like to see a smaller anchor among clothing retailers if there is a little mall type of setting going here. Like an H&M. Apple Store, movie theater would be nice in my opinion too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I could see an urban format Walmart in Brooklyn Village happening.