Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

5 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Legacy_Union_Charlotte.thumb.jpg.f5ce23e5be7cb505e6948f69b5cc3173.jpg

I don't think this rendering has been posted on here before (but if it has I am sorry).

Did they change the rendering colors from a beige (on the stone/concrete between the glass and at the base) to more of a gray?  If so, I tend to like it.  It looks sleeker and less meh to me.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Denver Pavilions which is in the heart of the 16th Street Mall in Denver (minus the movie theater).  It has 40 shops and restaurants/bars, including typical mall fare Express, Gap, Journeys, Sephora, Victoria's Secret, PacSun etc.  Additionally they have some local shops mixed in like a chocolate shop, tobacco and fine wine shop, a local burger/draft beer joint, among others.  Gotta love the 3 story H&M!

It's pretty compact as it's 3 stories of outside store fronts in a double horseshoe configuration, opening up to the 16th Street Mall.

Denver-Pavilions-high-definition-HD-photography.jpg

53 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing something like Denver Pavilions which is in the heart of the 16th Street Mall in Denver (minus the movie theater).  It has 40 shops and restaurants/bars, including typical mall fare Express, Gap, Journeys, Sephora, Victoria's Secret, PacSun etc.  Additionally they have some local shops mixed in like a chocolate shop, tobacco and fine wine shop, a local burger/draft beer joint, among others.  Gotta love the 3 story H&M!

It's pretty compact as it's 3 stories of outside store fronts in a double horseshoe configuration, opening up to the 16th Street Mall.

Denver-Pavilions-high-definition-HD-photography.jpg

Edited by caterpillar2
I made my point earlier.

8 hours ago, AuLukey said:

No. More. Blue. Glass. The skyline is shifting from being the Emerald City (layout-wise) to the Sapphire City. I'd like to see more creative use of color and materials in modern CLT towers.

I have a question for the people here who are more knowledgeable about design and aesthetics than I am: what's wrong with more blue glass in the skyline? Some cities (e.g. Siena, Italy) look nice despite (because of?) uniformity of materials.

Not trying to argue with AuLukey, I'm genuinely curious about this. Though I do get why EIFS everywhere is lame...

• Like 2

I have a question for the people here who are more knowledgeable about design and aesthetics than I am: what's wrong with more blue glass in the skyline? Some cities (e.g. Siena, Italy) look nice despite (because of?) uniformity of materials.

Not trying to argue with AuLukey, I'm genuinely curious about this. Though I do get why EIFS everywhere is lame...

There's nothing particularly wrong with blue glass. In fact I find it quite stylish/handsome on a tower. But I'm not a fan of uniformity-- the entire skyline will start losing its visual interest if every new tower is the same color; they'll just blend together. For example, I like the Museum apartment tower, but the biggest flaw in its design was matching DEC. It sort of gets lost in the skyline because it blends in with its neighbor. Were it any other color glass, it would stand out much more.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

^ Is it true that the developer chose the revolting color to get the goat of neighbors who wouldn't let him build taller ?

^^^^that is what the rumor was as Jim Gross wanted to build this tower 34 stories Dilworthers fought him tooth and nail with all the usual complaints reduced property values etc (and we know that NEVER happened) so it got shorten to the 22 stories it is today with Desert Rose colored glass aka pink. At the time I wrote into the C Observer and said everyone says they want density why cant this be approved at 34 stories?  However the Dilworthers won out on the height. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^^that is what the rumor was as Jim Gross wanted to build this tower 34 stories Dilworthers fought him tooth and nail with all the usual complaints reduced property values etc (and we know that NEVER happened) so it got shorten to the 22 stories it is today with Desert Rose colored glass aka pink. At the time I wrote into the C Observer and said everyone says they want density why cant this be approved at 34 stories?  However the Dilworthers won out on the height. 

It was actually 42 floors.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 2.27.49 PM.png

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ You are right I forgot how tall it was but I still loved the original design. Remember this area of South End was run down by todays standards. 

it wasn't that long ago that Simpsons Lighting was considered an asset to Southend

simpson.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kermit said:

it wasn't that long ago that Simpsons Lighting was considered an asset to Southend

simpson.jpg

God I remember going to Jillians in SouthEnd and just wondering what was up with the big barbed wire lot where Post Southend Sits today. Amazing how undeveloped southend was when I was a kid. 

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

got d@mn thats a big fat parking deck

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 3.27.49 PM.png

The retail portion looks deplorable. and the glass showing the stakes looks so cheap. The pedestrian bridge is cool as a gateway to uptown. 

The screening on the deck would look amazing if they plan on letting greenery grow up it 

7 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

The retail portion looks deplorable. and the glass showing the stakes looks so cheap. The pedestrian bridge is cool as a gateway to uptown. 

The screening on the deck would look amazing if they plan on letting greenery grow up it 

Here is the bridge

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 4.07.11 PM.png