Storyville Gardens

L'burgnative

10 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Reasons I remain skeptical:

1. The cost of land. The amount of land needed for a project of this scope, with extra for future expansion, would be scarce and costly if in close proximity to the city. If it’s too far outside the city the project becomes less attractive to potential employees and local patrons.

2. The cost of the buildout of a new park. Those roller coasters ain’t cheap!

3. The tight labor market (under non Covid conditions) means that staffing the park with seasonal employees would be challenging. Not a lot of folks willing to work out in the heat (or cold) in jobs that typically would pay little over minimum wage. 

I worked at Opryland for nearly twenty years, so I have some insight from experience. As much as it would be nice...in my humble opinion...IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN.

What I would say about #3 is that in my experiences of going to Dollywood and Disney World (a lot), they employ a large senior/retiree force.  They are super pleasant and enjoy what they do.  With Middle Tennessee's reputation of a larger retirement community, I don't think staffing would be an issue at all.  The others are good points.  You almost need a management group like the MLB group with deep pockets.

If, and again If this ever happens do not expect this to go anywhere near the core of the city. It will likely go in Williamson or Rutherford Counties, Maybe Wilson. 

The reasons it would go there would be availability of land.  

Closer to a larger workforce as the population of the counties are higher to the south and east.

Better access to highways south & East, along with the fact that if a regional transit system happens it will go to one of those areas first.

The land is a little flatter to the south and East Vs North and West.

16 hours ago, NashRugger said:

Plop it in Wilson County adjacent to the super speedway. You already have heavy infrastructure in-place with regards to I-840 access & a huge interchange, relatively level land, & still close enough to a large amount of population as the node of strongest growth is centered on Wilson & Rutherford counties. You also have a younger overall population in close proximity given MTSU & Cumberland universities, in addition to what was said previously as Smyrna & Mt. Juliet are booming retiree areas. 

This makes sense.  The land is much flatter in this part of 840 in comparison to that closer to 24 and 65.  Plus (perhaps?) less restrictions/zoning on land here as it may be in Williamson County?   This won't be a Disney World where you need massive infrastructure and transportation needs.  I can't imagine anything larger than a Dollywood to be built in our region.  

What about the land around Nashville Shores?  I have seen A LOT of theme parks add a large water park.  Maybe go the reverse?  Add one coaster.... then another...  then another thrill ride...  From an investment standpoint it makes more sense than to start from scratch.  Nashville Shores already has concessions, utilities, etc.   It provides for a slow build-out.   I know that won't happen but it's not the worst idea.

12 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

This makes sense.  The land is much flatter in this part of 840 in comparison to that closer to 24 and 65.  Plus (perhaps?) less restrictions/zoning on land here as it may be in Williamson County?   This won't be a Disney World where you need massive infrastructure and transportation needs.  I can't imagine anything larger than a Dollywood to be built in our region.  

What about the land around Nashville Shores?  I have seen A LOT of theme parks add a large water park.  Maybe go the reverse?  Add one coaster.... then another...  then another thrill ride...  From an investment standpoint it makes more sense than to start from scratch.  Nashville Shores already has concessions, utilities, etc.   It provides for a slow build-out.   I know that won't happen but it's not the worst idea.

Nashville Shores sought permission from the Corps of Engineers for the addition of  theme park style element a few years ago. The Corps said no. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NashRugger said:

Plop it in Wilson County adjacent to the super speedway. You already have heavy infrastructure in-place with regards to I-840 access & a huge interchange, relatively level land, & still close enough to a large amount of population as the node of strongest growth is centered on Wilson & Rutherford counties. You also have a younger overall population in close proximity given MTSU & Cumberland universities, in addition to what was said previously as Smyrna & Mt. Juliet are booming retiree areas. 

I've always felt this, too.  That is such an ideal location for a theme park.  People forget that Disney World was way out in the boonies when it first opened.  Walt wanted a lot of space between his park and the rash of hotels and tourist traps that would inevitably follow; he didn't want a repeat of the mess that surrounds Disneyland in California.  I'm not suggesting that a new Nashville theme park would be on the same scale as Disney World, but just that it's not that unusual for a theme park to be built well outside an urban core.  And like you said, this location isn't THAT far from Murfreesboro and is already comfortably along a very busy interstate with pretty much all the infrastructure already in place for something like this.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Storyville Gardens is a fairy tale. You can wish upon a star all you want, this dream ain’t gonna come true!

Agree! Unless like Smeags said, we get something from Disney, Busch Gardens, Six Flags, Dolly .... etc . it’s not happening!

32 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

It's a beautiful concept that I hope to see come to fruition, but I think for it to ultimately be successful long term (if it gets built at all) it needs to be a little less Epcot Center and a little more Cedar Point. 

Exactly.  EPCOT by itself probably wouldn't be very popular.  It's popular because it's part of the Disney World mega theme park.  I'm glad someone is thinking seriously about a new theme park in Nashville, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I understand why Storyville Gardens will become a major draw to tourists.  Don't tourists come to Nashville for the music?  Isn't that why Opryland was so popular (in addition to the rides)?  Maybe in the "America" section of the Storyville Gardens they'll have some Opryland-type shows.

Another thing:  Opryland was 120 acres, and one of the reasons cited for its closure was it was too small and had no room to expand.  I don't know that this new place will be big enough.  It'll probably do really well at luring school field trips but I'm not sure it'll do much more than that.

But if it does get built, I'll gladly buy season tickets and do my best to support them.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Exactly.  EPCOT by itself probably wouldn't be very popular.  It's popular because it's part of the Disney World mega theme park.  I'm glad someone is thinking seriously about a new theme park in Nashville, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I understand why Storyville Gardens will become a major draw to tourists.  Don't tourists come to Nashville for the music? 

Yeah, no tourist has ever come to Nashville for anything other than music. 

Yep.

30 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

Am I missing a location in this article?

No, no location has been picked yet. If I were to pick a location I would put it in Wilson County on the Music City Star route so people could ride directly from downtown to the park. There would have to be major upgrades to the tracks to increase the number of trips daily. There are plenty of places that could accommodate the project or one like it.

• Like 3

Maybe there's enough room out in the Music Valley area or even the old Cornelia Fort Airpark property-you could build a bridge to it from the roundabout next to Briley Parkway.

I suspect they might not want to get too far from downtown with all that is going on there.

Edited by bnacincy
Content

I'm a coaster/theme park enthusiast by day — I give this a 2% chance of happening. I hope I'm proven wrong, but it's incredibly difficult for theme parks to get off the ground unless you're a Disney, Universal, Legoland, etc. I just don't see this as a feasible plan.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bnacincy said:

Maybe there's enough room out in the Music Valley area or even the old Cornelia Fort Airpark property-you could build a bridge to it from the roundabout next to Briley Parkway.

I suspect they might not want to get too far from downtown with all that is going on there.

If you want to see one of the most epic neighborhoods vs developer fights, then yeah, try to build a bridge that connects Opry Mills and East Nashville and take away a park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

I'm a coaster/theme park enthusiast by day — I give this a 2% chance of happening. I hope I'm proven wrong, but it's incredibly difficult for theme parks to get off the ground unless you're a Disney, Universal, Legoland, etc. I just don't see this as a feasible plan.

Agreed. Quite frankly I am surprised William Williams even gave them print space. This does not seem in any way serious. 

• Like 1