Storyville Gardens

L'burgnative

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

Aren’t  Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios just  over 100 acres? 

Magic Kingdom doesn't have a parking lot, and Hollywood Studios is 135 acres, and needs to be bigger honestly. It's the most crowded park at Disney World. 

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

The more I look at this, the more I am upset it isn’t Opryland.

I’m hoping that if this is really going to happen, that Storyland Studio (or whatever they are called) comes up with a design in the end that is more reflective of what would garner crowds.  Since they have worked on some huge products, I have to think they’ll tell the owners what they think would work and wouldn’t work.  Then again…maybe they’re just a “hired gun?"

To me, the fact they’re involved, at least makes me think this is serious…for now.  Of course…funding and reality will have to factor in eventually and we’ll see how that goes.

Edited by titanhog

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Carowinds in Charlotte  by comparison is over 400 acres and includes the theme park, campground, a hotel, a water park some retail.  It is owned by Cedar Fair Inc. which owns theme parks from coast to coast.   www.carowinds.com

I wish Cedar Fair would come in and run this park.  That is the one thing I do not get in the press release they said they are looking for a park operator but they want to break ground as soon as next year.

If they do not even have a park operator lined up yet, nor property picked out, not to mention zoning, infrastructure for roads, water, power, sewer, I just do not see this happening on that timeline. Someone is blowing some smoke up someones rear end somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I wish Cedar Fair would come in and run this park.  That is the one thing I do not get in the press release they said they are looking for a park operator but they want to break ground as soon as next year.

If they do not even have a park operator lined up yet, nor property picked out, not to mention zoning, infrastructure for roads, water, power, sewer, I just do not see this happening on that timeline. Someone is blowing some smoke up someones rear end somewhere.

So are you saying they're telling.....stories?

• Haha 1

Folks, this ain’t happening. And a part of me laments that Opryand failed to keep their park going, and the other part tells me that the Nashville tourist market has matured beyond the theme park stage. IMHO the only theme park operator that could come in and even get noticed in the Nashville market is Disney, and I think that ship has sailed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, satalac said:

Magic Kingdom doesn't have a parking lot, and Hollywood Studios is 135 acres, and needs to be bigger honestly. It's the most crowded park at Disney World. 

Well, technically they do.  It’s just far away and needs buses/monorails to make the journey.  

80788E05-9941-4D87-B112-4CDC8F37F2FE.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheRaglander said:

Well, technically they do.  It’s just far away and needs buses/monorails to make the journey.  

80788E05-9941-4D87-B112-4CDC8F37F2FE.jpeg

Right, I just don't think the Ticket and Transportation area is included in the 100 acres of the park. Looking at the sizes of other Disney parks surprised me. Disneyland is only 85 acres and Disney California Adventure is 72. So maybe this won't be as small as I'm thinking. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I do think the Tolkien family still controls everything and it may not go into public domain. That would be like Disney going into PD. Dont think it will happen. Rights would cost two arms and a dwarfs beard.

When did Mayor Cooper grow a beard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, LA_TN said:

What if they are NOT trying to be a Disney or Six Flags? How about a Beech Bend Park or Holiday World concept where it starts small and grows? It doesn't have to be a rival to Cedar Point on opening day

You've got the right idea here - after watching the interview with the Storyville team that someone posted here a couple days ago, this team isn't trying to be a theme park in the modern sense and has no intention of trying to emulate or compete with Busch Gardens/Six Flags/ Universal/Magic Kingdom, etc. 

They basically are just trying to be a Cheekwood gardens on steroids with an immersive storybook/fairy/folktale theme that will allow the kids to interact with the storybook world elements and places they encounter instead of just admiring the exhibits from afar ala Cheekwood. They will also have a few rides and a few games, but even those will be more about 'experience' and entering the world of a story than they will be about thrill/adrenaline.

In fact, my guess is that their primary competitors are going to be Cheekwood and the Zoo, although I'm sure their targeting an even wider geographic audience (especially for school field trips) given the uniqueness of the concept. 

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 4

On 6/29/2021 at 12:06 PM, Sean blackdog said:

I find online. I think. 
New Storyville Gardens. 

C62392E2-339D-4551-AB55-FBF21F1B8F84.jpeg

One thing that makes me think this may be further along than we think is the layout of the park.  In at least 2-3 renders I’ve seen, it’s in this weird shape…as if they are fitting the park to the land they have purchased.  Why else would they design the park in this shape?

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PruneTracy said:

The problem is the shape they used is the partial footprint of the multi-use fields at Ted Rhodes Park in MetroCenter. You can catch a glimpse of the surrounding area in the image overlay they used for their video.

storyville-gardens-music-city.thumb.jpg.2e92ca2c02da6a0b5c809b835a01246c.jpg

While a good location for the park (especially considering the adjacent proposed mixed-use development), something tells me this is a long shot with Metro and the neighborhood.

It does beg the question of why they chose a specific location, and in particular this one, for a conceptual vision. If we are just going to go around throwing out concept plans for various developments at highly infeasible locations around town I've got a hundred of those just from being bored at work.

Wow.  That’s interesting.  Good eye!

So…that’s Ted Rhodes Fields…right?  Is that mostly soccer fields…or kids’ football?  How many acres is that?  Yes…that would be an amazing place for this…but not much (if any) room to grow…so I have to think that even if the city allowed it, it wouldn’t be the best place longterm.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, titanhog said:

So…that’s Ted Rhodes Fields…right?  Is that mostly soccer fields…or kids’ football?  How many acres is that?

Looks like adult soccer and rugby. There are also the only two cricket pitches I know of in Nashville (and again if we are throwing out concepts in ridiculous locations I would have a solution for that).

It is 35 acres, give or take, for the park only (not the mixed-use development or any parking, etc.). For comparison (taking out parking and other non-core areas), the size of Dollywood (not including the areas up the mountain) is about 30 acres, Lake Winnepesauka (including the lake) is about 42 acres, and Holiday World (which is not space-efficient at all) is about 90 acres. So it's not as unreasonable as it seems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

Wow.  That’s interesting.  Good eye!

So…that’s Ted Rhodes Fields…right?  Is that mostly soccer fields…or kids’ football?  How many acres is that?  Yes…that would be an amazing place for this…but not much (if any) room to grow…so I have to think that even if the city allowed it, it wouldn’t be the best place longterm.

Why would Metro even consider getting rid of the pitches for the benefit of a dubious private venture?    I see on their presentation that a deal of their building props are much scaled down from real buildings. Why would kids today of school age even find this interesting given their access to the internet and other media?  This concept is  blatantly obsolete and unsophisticated such that it would likely be ignored except for toddlers.  This might have been a successful roadside attraction in the 1950s, but really... I think it is doomed for oblivion before it breaks ground.  And NOT on Metro Parks land.

Edited by Baronakim