Storyville Gardens

L'burgnative

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

It's hard to watch this video and not get excited about Storyville Gardens.

Yeah…I do believe this is the most serious proposal we’ve seen since Opryland.  I don’t know all of the hurdles they will have to face to make this happen…or how many hurdles they’ve already jumped…but I definitely believe the developers think this is going to happen.  They say they’ve got the $300 Million for the first phase…so we’ll see.  If they don’t already have the land picked out and a buyer willing to sell it to them…then they still have a LONG ways to go because the  right land in the right location will be the make or break on even getting this open even IF they have the money.

I think they’ll have a hard time finding land in Davidson County….and the flattest land they’ll find near Nashville is probably Wilson or Rutherford along 840.  There’s still land near the Superspeedway to the north and south (in Wilson or Rutherford) with a large enough tract to maybe fit this…but whether or not someone is willing to sell…who knows?  Can’t really imagine any land in Williamson.  North of Nashville seems too hilly.  I don’t think you want to go much further than 840 or you’re getting further and further away from the major population.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

Yeah…I do believe this is the most serious proposal we’ve seen since Opryland.  I don’t know all of the hurdles they will have to face to make this happen…or how many hurdles they’ve already jumped…but I definitely believe the developers think this is going to happen.  They say they’ve got the $300 Million for the first phase…so we’ll see.  If they don’t already have the land picked out and a buyer willing to sell it to them…then they still have a LONG ways to go because the  right land in the right location will be the make or break on even getting this open even IF they have the money.

I think they’ll have a hard time finding land in Davidson County….and the flattest land they’ll find near Nashville is probably Wilson or Rutherford along 840.  There’s still land near the Superspeedway to the north and south (in Wilson or Rutherford) with a large enough tract to maybe fit this…but whether or not someone is willing to sell…who knows?  Can’t really imagine any land in Williamson.  North of Nashville seems too hilly.  I don’t think you want to go much further than 840 or you’re getting further and further away from the major population.

What about Century Farms?  I've heard speculation that Century Farms is large enough for this.  Otherwise, it does seem that somewhere along 840 between Lebanon and Murfreesboro would be the easiest, and probably cheapest, to develop.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

What about Century Farms?  I've heard speculation that Century Farms is large enough for this.  Otherwise, it does seem that somewhere along 840 between Lebanon and Murfreesboro would be the easiest, and probably cheapest, to develop.

I actually thought about Century Farms after I commented earlier.  I’m not sure how many acres are available…but that would be a great location.

• Like 1

Maybe tomorrow when I feel a little more up to it I will try and transfer a number of the comments from the B & P thread here. Now when I do this things will be a little out of order.

Going to the meeting today zapped me and I came home and slept for 2 hours, so I will probably do it tomorrow.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, titanhog said:

Looking at that area on Google Maps…there seems to be a lot of land that’s not cleared…but I’m not sure how flat it is…and I know some land over there somewhere is a new park…but I’m thinking that’s across the interstate?

century farms.jpg

I really do not see Oldacre McDonald selling tis valuable chunk of real-estate for a theme Park. They are selling parcels for high dollar and a theme park would not fit into the general plan there. Besides I do not think the Storyville people could afford the asking price and again I am 99% sure this will not go in Davidson County. I know you guys want it as close as possible to the city but it will be way out in BF Egypt. Trust me the council district would have plenty to say about increased traffic in the area if it were to go here! Think Starwood times 10 everyday of the week.

This will go where there will be zero push back from the neighbors according to what I have heard so that means it will have to go where there are no neighbors.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I really do not see Oldacre McDonald selling tis valuable chunk of real-estate for a theme Park. They are selling parcels for high dollar and a theme park would not fit into the general plan there. Besides I do not think the Storyville people could afford the asking price and again I am 99% sure this will not go in Davidson County. I know you guys want it as close as possible to the city but it will be way out in BF Egypt. Trust me the council district would have plenty to say about increased traffic in the area if it were to go here! Think Starwood times 10 everyday of the week.

This will go where there will be zero push back from the neighbors according to what I have heard so that means it will have to go where there are no neighbors.

In my mind, the closest they may get to Nashville would be somewhere near the Speedway on I-840.  After that…I’m guessing out towards Cookeville…or down south below M’boro or Shelbyville before you get in the hills near F’ville.  May find some land south of M’boro off I-24, maybe in the Epps Mill Road area.

Edited by titanhog

This can't go in Century Farms, because there is not a big chunk of land left. Across I-24 is the new Mill Ridge Park. South of Century Farms is already impossible because there are already several subdivisions and apartments (built and under construction)

Google Maps is behind in this area 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

From what I'm reading on their website, I too don't think they are trying to create the next Disney, Six-Flags, Universal Studios, etc.  I would put this more in the category of the Holy Land Experience in Orlando.  Which is a relatively small theme park that attracts families and obviously church groups.  I've never been personally, but I know people who have been and they all said they thought it was fine and achieves what the theme is all about.  I don't think they have any rides in that park.  So, Storyville Gardens, sounds like a theme park that isn't going to be about thrills as its primary focus.  However, I could see combination illusion rides like those at Universal Studios like Harry Potter and even the train ride they introduced a few years ago.  It's more about the story than the ride.  To some degree the Chaos ride at Opryland was somewhat the same.  It was a race in time .  It was one of the first indoor rollercoasters in the U.S.  It didn't require a huge footprint either.  So, I can see Storyville doing the same.  Some of the Six Flags parks now have them as well.  Quite frankly the one I've been on at a Six Flags wasn't done as well as those at Universal.  And, for anyone that has been to the Disney, you know that the "Small World" ride is one of the most memorable rides and it's simply a boat ride through various cultural settings around the world with robotic kids singing "It's a Small World."  A grown man in the boat I was in actually shed tears during the ride he was so touched... :)  

Storyville Gardens may not be the frills and thrills theme park so many of us would want.  But, if it comes to fruition, I think it will be an added tourist attraction that is family friendly.  Something Nashville really needs.  As far as locations go, couldn't the Bells Bend area also be considered?  Years ago wasn't that area supposed to have been developed into a major business/residential/retail area called May something?  Why not a theme park?  Of course given the acreage that would probably be a great location for a frills and thrills type park too,   Heck, I'd like somebody buy all the land between Dickerson Road and I-24 at W. Trinity Lane  and develop it into a theme park.  Anything to get rid of the crap that is there now.  That would really be a good location because you already have interstate access and exists.

They would be spending half of their budget on land in that area. Either way, I give this project 0.1% chance of happening.

I do think this depends on WHO gets behind this and WHAT the final vision is. We just do not know that yet. One part of the park could be ride heavy while another part of the park is not. 

The further out you go the less your land price is. As long as this is in the general Nashville area, they have nothing to worry about IF it happens. A lot of the rides at Disney, Universal are going more towards the 3D/4D experience which takes up a lot less room and gives you a lot more of a total five senses experience in a much more confined space. Now that does not mean they will not have a few coasters/thrill rides and even those take up a lot less space. I would not look for the old wooden coaster experience as those behemoths take up a huge amount of space.

Another variable is the park operator. That can bring in a whole new set of experiences into the park as whoever the park operator is, they have their own franchise agreements with certain brands.

Now if they have in fact been working on this for two years as the Tennessean article said, they do have a jump start and have probably been looking at property anonymously. It will more than likely be right off of 840 or 40 somewhere. I doubt it will be off of I 24 as that is already a heavily trafficked corridor and would further increase traffic there and would probably rule Rutherford County out. Williamson County land is higher than Wilson, so I still say Wilson County is the most likely location.

I am not schooled on the availability of utilities in the area. One thing I would do is to make sure that I included is ample parking, campgrounds, and hotels as part of the overall plan and control that land as well as part of the project. There are plenty of locations with available land around I 40 and I 840 and there does not see to be an issue of bringing utilities to this area because of all of the warehouses.

Co-operation from the State would guarantee a new interchange where it is needed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has anyone seen or heard anything more about this project? It’s been sometime since it was first brought up, their website is still active and saying opening in spring of 2025. But they still haven’t even announced a location yet. Watching the press release videos, they do seem to have some great theme park visionaries and designers working with this project . It’s a good idea , and although probably not a thrill ride park as some would like, it has potential to become a destination for many . You know the old saying “ if you build it , they will come” it applies to anything. Still believe that “IF” this happens , I-840 between Lebanon and Murfreesboro is the best logical location. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Has anyone seen or heard anything more about this project? It’s been sometime since it was first brought up, their website is still active and saying opening in spring of 2025. But they still haven’t even announced a location yet. Watching the press release videos, they do seem to have some great theme park visionaries and designers working with this project . It’s a good idea , and although probably not a thrill ride park as some would like, it has potential to become a destination for many . You know the old saying “ if you build it , they will come” it applies to anything. Still believe that “IF” this happens , I-840 between Lebanon and Murfreesboro is the best logical location. 

I stayed subscribed to the information and nothing so far. they are going to have to get on the ball for a 2022 ground breaking as they seem to not even have the land in hand yet where ever that is. I know of 65 acres off of Trinity lane they could build on.

• Haha 2

I think you would have a big market for an amusement park in metro Nashville with all your tourists and would make it a more family friendly attraction .  (not sure the bars on Broadway would qualify LOL)   But honestly it might be a good addition and even  attract some of your Bridal parties to spend a day there and lengthen their stay in the area.  

It is difficult to build from scratch but maybe they need a partner like Cedar Fair which owns Carowinds in Charlotte and many other parks across the nation. 

• Like 4

I agree with KJH.  Even as a long shot, this would do wonders for Nashville's reputation as not just a destination city, but a family-friendly destination city.  IMO, that invites yet another type of dollar to the area's economic party.  Sending nothing put positive thoughts towards this one.  

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 3

Ok I searched and searched but cannot find it so maybe y'all can help me remember.  AFTER the "Festival Tennessee" Spring Hill proposal there was another smaller grassroots attempt at an amusement park.  I remember seeing it online and thought they were hoping for property in Spring Hill or Columbia.  They even went through the art work to sell pictures of the animal mascot/character prints to help raise money for the park.  Does anyone remember this plan?