Storyville Gardens

L'burgnative

55 minutes ago, titanhog said:

The one other name I’d love to see attached is Dolly.

Absolutely.  With her Imagination Library and all the thousands of free books she's given to children, Dolly Parton would be a natural.  I wonder if maybe she feels this would compete against Dollywood?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, downtownresident said:

From the NBJ, Pat Emery signs on as a co-developer, groundbreaking of Phase 1 in late 2022, opening in 2025. Phase 1 is to cost $330 million which is lined up from private investors. Site to be announced soon. More here: https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/03/16/pat-emery-theme-park.html

So I’ve been thinking about this all night. They are saying groundbreaking sometime later this year, how does something this large go undetected as to location, without being noticed. I mean if they are this close to starting this, then I would think that plot plans , topography maps, infrastructure plans, planning department meetings, community meetings…etc have taken place. But yet it’s not on the radar of any locals, how is it so hush hush? Are they even considering one of the counties right around here ( Davidson, Rutherford, Williamson,Wilson ) or is there a chance it’s way remotely hidden in say Dickson, Montgomery, Robertson ? Or is it possible that they haven’t even decided that yet, and all those planning stages can be done that quickly?

• Like 1

I personally believe they need to keep it within the 840 loop (or right next to it).  As many have speculated, somewhere near the 40/840 interchange near Lebanon seems ideal (for so many reasons).  May also be some land near 840 / 24 in Rutherford…but you’re getting really close to residential areas…so you’re gonna get blowback.  Same thing goes for land along 840 between 24 and 65 in Rutherford / Williamson.  Too much residential going on.

After those areas…you really have to start looking at maybe between Mboro and Shelbyville…or somewhere east of Columbia (just thinking of flat land).  Could see south of Murfreesboro, possibly…near 24 before you get to Manchester.

Can’t see anything going north of town just because of hills and other terrain issues.

840/40 at Lebanon is a no-brainer, to me.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 2

I also think the same, makes sense to have it have interstate highway frontage . I know that Brookside development has a planned office park/ mixed use project in the works right along the 40/840 interchange in Lebanon. Maybe we could see a change of hands , that would be ideal spot with both interstates and close proximity to BNA.

C80A2AE0-4853-4DA4-BC70-7A24A4E59D4A.png

0DF7A364-3FA5-45E4-9EB0-F3C340469ED1.png

Interesting that someone from Legoland is tied to this. Legoland is one of the few brands that has been successful in building a theme park from the ground up aside from Disney or Universal. It would be great if this could morph into a Legoland property. It would be far enough away from the New York and Florida parks. But whatever they build, I hope they build it somewhere with room to grow, because aside from poor attendance, nothing hinders a theme park more than lack of room to grow.

• Like 4

Still, I think this is very underwhelming.  I was very unimpressed with the  early concept sketches.    I can not imagine how they expect to divide the facility into zones for Africa, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.   Reduced scale, sketchy buildings with bits and pieces of dubious architecture and landscaping seems entirely optomistic.  Our climate here is ttotally unsuited to recreate very much of the fell of these areas.  For instance, I think The "African village" will have to depend on a lot of fake plastic treeslook covincing with a bunch of tiny round huts and a single cental structure.  I think ultimately the Nashville ZOO does a better job... it has sufficient scale.  The palms and vegetation of the "Arabian" area will be hard pressed to stay alive in our winters too.   The European structures and gardens will look too dinky and insufficiently detailed.  The historical granduer of that period of European design relies on large scane and big vista.  I think it will be difficult to produce the tranquility and detail nescessary for Japanese or Chinesse images. As this will be mainly and outdoor experience, I think our wet  and cold Winteres and scorching Summers will limit having enjoyable visitation.  This looks about as appealing as the World of Sid and Marty Craft was in Atlanta or as successful ast he Speedway was nearby.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

I don't know... I appreciate the concept, and it looks like it has the potential to be a very visually pleasing experience, but I still think it needs some roller coaster punch.  As proposed right now it kind of strikes me as a bit Epcot Center-y... the park everyone goes to just because, 'well, we're already here for Disney and have another day to kill so why the hell not.'  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Still, I think this is very underwhelming.  I was very unimpressed with the  early concept sketches.    I can not imagine how they expect to divide the facility into zones for Africa, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.   Reduced scale, sketchy buildings with bits and pieces of dubious architecture and landscaping seems entirely optomistic.  Our climate here is ttotally unsuited to recreate very much of the fell of these areas.  For instance, I think The "African village" will have to depend on a lot of fake plastic treeslook covincing with a bunch of tiny round huts and a single cental structure.  I think ultimately the Nashville ZOO does a better job... it has sufficient scale.  The palms and vegetation of the "Arabian" area will be hard pressed to stay alive in our winters too.   The European structures and gardens will look too dinky and insufficiently detailed.  The historical granduer of that period of European design relies on large scane and big vista.  I think it will be difficult to produce the tranquility and detail nescessary for Japanese or Chinesse images. As this will be mainly and outdoor experience, I think our wet  and cold Winteres and scorching Summers will limit having enjoyable visitation.  This looks about as appealing as the World of Sid and Marty Craft was in Atlanta or as successful ast he Speedway was nearby.

To deal with these issues and make it look more realistic you would pretty much have to dome the whole thing to keep actual tropical plants going.....that of course would blow up  costs by several levels.

The question is, will this be a year round attraction or just seasonal?

Also, is there enough land in the Music Valley area to possibly put it there?

It needs to be in an area with other attractions I think to make it viable-don't know that it would work sittin' out in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by bnacincy

If Legoland, Pat Emery, and Mel McGowan (Storyland Studios) are involved, then I’d say it’s in good hands. Look up  the Storyland website, they know what they are doing. This has some legs, it all comes down to financially stable. If they have the investors and they say they do, the quality and design will be top notch.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rolly said:

I vote yes for the Dome, Roller Coaster, and giant Ferris Wheel.  And the Amazon River Ride.  (sponsored by amazon :D). 

Or Amazon could make a ride where you just sit on a porch inside of a cardboard box while it gets chewed on by a dog... get the real deal Amazon experience!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, Luvemtall said:

If Legoland, Pat Emery, and Mel McGowan (Storyland Studios) are involved, then I’d say it’s in good hands. Look up  the Storyland website, they know what they are doing. This has some legs, it all comes down to financially stable. If they have the investors and they say they do, the quality and design will be top notch.

I was looking at all of the players yesterday. It looks decent on paper except for one thing. I was searching bid site and I have not been able to find one mention of anything out for bid as far as this project goes anywhere in middle TN. You would think that a project as large as this, if it were to start by years end would have started at least pre-bidding by now on at least some of the largest construction bid sites????

What say the heads familiar with construction and building and timelines on the board? Are they being too ambitious with the timeline?

I do want to see this succeed, however there is still the little voice in my head with the Mr Haney voice from Green Acres saying “Mr Douglas Have I got A Deal for You”!

I think we have seen that several times before on this thread when it comes to amusement parks proposals in Middle TN.

• Like 1

Yep, with you Smeags. That’s my thoughts, this big of a project has to show up on some type of radar. Can they have some kind of legal stipulation that keeps this quiet until they announce location? 

I’m not sure if the likes of Pat Emery, would be involved if there’s nothing to it. That’s the baffling thing.

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I was looking at all of the players yesterday. It looks decent on paper except for one thing. I was searching bid site and I have not been able to find one mention of anything out for bid as far as this project goes anywhere in middle TN. You would think that a project as large as this, if it were to start by years end would have started at least pre-bidding by now on at least some of the largest construction bid sites????

What say the heads familiar with construction and building and timelines on the board? Are they being too ambitious with the timeline?

I do want to see this succeed, however there is still the little voice in my head with the Mr Haney voice from Green Acres saying “Mr Douglas Have I got A Deal for You”!

I think we have seen that several times before on this thread when it comes to amusement parks proposals in Middle TN.

Do you suppose the Storyville people are doing what Disney did in the 1960s in Florida?  Disney set up fake corporations to secretly buy up 30,000 acres southwest of Orlando under a variety of names and timed the transactions so that they all took place at roughly the same time, paying cash each time so as to not arouse suspicions.  I know it was a lot easier back then to do things like that but I wonder if something like that is what's happening here.  Likewise, maybe if there are bids advertised, they're innocuous sounding things like roads or water lines for "new subdivisions" that happen to be located next to each other.

• Like 4

Here is a case in point, a Hugh project like Barton’s Village in Lebanon. 350 acres with the same general zoning as a theme park, near a I-40 interchange. They could go though all the necessary red tape without being detected, then announce the change of development right at the end. 

419BBABB-0411-4832-8FF3-02A107627F3C.jpeg