Toronto Street Pics

BrandonTO416

(I finally got the pics to work!!)

Now that the Toronto photos from the air have been posted, I wanted to take a chance to show Toronto from the ground level more. Its such an active, inviting, beautiful city!

These photos taken by nicetommy4 on pbase

http://www.pbase.com/nicetommy4/profile

1 King West

Shows great Art Deco against the Modern First Canadian place in the upper right.

1kingwest.jpeg

Looking West

1kingwest2.jpeg

Christmas lights going up at Nathan Phillips Square

nathanphillipssq.jpeg

These photos taken by cwk on pbase

http://www.pbase.com/cwk/profile

Yonge Street

yongest.jpeg

Eaton Centre

eatoncentre.jpeg

Queen Street West

queenstwest.jpeg

The Beaches

thebeaches.jpeg

John Street

johnst.jpeg

Some homes in the Entertainment District

(homes like these are throughout the city)

entneighborhood.jpeg

Bloor Street Photos:

bloorst1.jpeg

bloorst2.jpeg

bloorst3.jpeg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting Toronto fact: Toronto has more than 5000 (yes, that's thousand, not hundred) total stores and restaurants in the downtown area. There are really only a handful of cities in the United States and Canada that even have 1000 total shops/restaurants in the downtown core, so 5000+ is an astounding number.

I'd love to know where people get numbers like those for stores and restaurants. Is it the chamber of commerce or a city agency? How do they define downtown in Toronto? How do we know the numbers are real?

I found a .pdf file about the state of downtown Toronto written several years ago that gave all kinds of statistics. It was online, unfortunately I didn't save it or the address. The 5000 number isn't hard to believe though. The PATH (underground walkway system that connects the buildings in the CBD) alone has more than 1200 retailers and more than 4 million square feet of retail.

I believe the numbers. I wonder how to get these numbers for other cities so we can compare them. It seems like it would be hard to compare since there is so little agreement as to what the downtown area boundaries are for each city. Still any well defined numbers are interesting.

Archived