Scope Area Renovations and Redevelopment

Ghentite

• 2 months later...

The potential plan calls for digging down 4-1/2 feet, and would add an extra 4,000 seats. Not bad, but looking at the rendering, it would still keep some open space that could be filled in with more seats. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/here-s-what-digging-down-to-expand-scope-could-look/article_c39fd995-0072-5585-a9e3-9c1fdcc5777b.html

5a009345a1283.image.jpg

Very nice. I do find it interesting that this announcement was made the literal day before the deadline for the Virginia Beach arena. This won't be a major league arena or anything, but it may just be enough to attract a team temporarily while a true major arena is built (and I think if we're learning anything, it's that a model for a major league arena can't work without an actual major league team).

• Like 1

https://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/harry-minium/it-s-time-for-virginia-beach-arena-developers-to-concede/article_7fa586e9-188f-5a75-9315-8df738eab2d2.html

24 suites isn't a lot, but it would make a nice placeholder until somebody decides to build a larger arena wherever. I do wonder if they could at least get an NCAA opening round here and keep the MEAC. 

I think Norfolk pulls the trigger here and gets naming rights. What do ya think? The Scope at Dollar Tree (or Norfolk Southern) Arena? :lol:

Screenshot_20171109-135523.png

• Like 1

Something else just hit me. The AAU Junior Olympics came here in 2015; the main events were at NSU (track and field) and the VB Convention Center (gymnastics mostly).

They're coming back to the area in 2020. I was hoping VB would've had an arena built by 2020, but I imagine, if Norfolk went through with this and started by next summer, the renovations would be completed in time for the Junior Olympics. That would be huge, IMO.

I would hate to see Norfolk lose the MEAC Tournament for a year or two, though. That does really well for the city, and I hope they'd be willing to return if/when this is completed.

4 hours ago, BFG said:

Something else just hit me. The AAU Junior Olympics came here in 2015; the main events were at NSU (track and field) and the VB Convention Center (gymnastics mostly).

They're coming back to the area in 2020. I was hoping VB would've had an arena built by 2020, but I imagine, if Norfolk went through with this and started by next summer, the renovations would be completed in time for the Junior Olympics. That would be huge, IMO.

I would hate to see Norfolk lose the MEAC Tournament for a year or two, though. That does really well for the city, and I hope they'd be willing to return if/when this is completed.

If not, I would venture to guess that Norfolk would also be a candidate to host the CAA Tournament... or even the CUSA Tournament. But the MEAC has done quite well in Norfolk.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BFG said:

https://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/harry-minium/it-s-time-for-virginia-beach-arena-developers-to-concede/article_7fa586e9-188f-5a75-9315-8df738eab2d2.html

24 suites isn't a lot, but it would make a nice placeholder until somebody decides to build a larger arena wherever. I do wonder if they could at least get an NCAA opening round here and keep the MEAC. 

I think Norfolk pulls the trigger here and gets naming rights. What do ya think? The Scope at Dollar Tree (or Norfolk Southern) Arena? :lol:

Screenshot_20171109-135523.png

Norfolk southern arena sounds much better. I thought it would be Smithfield foods............. Its weird that they (Norfolk southern, smithfield, dollar tree, etc...) do not have naming rights, many people from the area do not even know these companies are local. That is also tragic.

I'm not sure if cutting off the scope for 2 years for 5k seats and who knows how many millions is worth it. Then again, we have no numbers to support how much money the scope actually makes.

5000 new seats brings the total to 16k. Reconfiguring the arena for hockey subtracts 2300 from the number. So for the new number makes the Scope too big for ECHL and way too small for NHL. Scope isn't nice enough to host NCAA tournament games and the only reason the MEAC tournament does as well as it does is because there are two schools within a 20 min drive. Why would the CAA or the A-10 move their tournaments like some have suggested? They may have alumni's here but no schools. C-USA maybe because of ODU but probably once every 6 or 7 years. Being on the eastern edge and almost on an island of a conference that stretches to El Paso will make Norfolk a once in a decade stop for their tournament. 

Long story short if its not going to be up to NHL standards and include luxury suites, its going to be a waste of money.

Edited by Virginia City

3 hours ago, Virginia City said:

5000 new seats brings the total to 16k. Reconfiguring the arena for hockey subtracts 2300 from the number. So for the new number makes the Scope too big for ECHL and way too small for NHL. Scope isn't nice enough to host NCAA tournament games and the only reason the MEAC tournament does as well as it does is because there are two schools within a 20 min drive. Why would the CAA or the A-10 move their tournaments like some have suggested? They may have alumni's here but no schools. C-USA maybe because of ODU but probably once every 6 or 7 years. Being on the eastern edge and almost on an island of a conference that stretches to El Paso will make Norfolk a once in a decade stop for their tournament. 

Long story short if its not going to be up to NHL standards and include luxury suites, its going to be a waste of money.

Conferences tend to move the tournament venue every few years. The CAA was in Richmond for quite a while, but since that point, they spent a couple years in Baltimore and are now in Charleston, SC I believe. The CAA has William and Mary about an hour away. The A-10 has Richmond and VCU (though the A-10 tournament tends to be in bigger cities). And then of course CUSA has ODU a few miles away but in general is very spread out. 

But the MEAC is a great fit for obvious reasons as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see Scope as a long-term option, but if a league is interested in expanding or having an exhibition match, we now have a modernized arena. It would hold us over for a few years. 

If nothing else, we could probably get a few more concerts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

If the Admirals end up folding/leaving, just demolish it and build a new arena in Scope's spot.

Nah, it has a historical concrete dome. Better to find another place for a new arena and convert scope into something else (imagine if it were possible to convert it into a train station). Could make the area now inviting and open to development by removing the large unused elevated space around the arena.

• Like 1