Scope Area Renovations and Redevelopment

Ghentite

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_5d1ff814-36f5-11e9-ba4c-079b32a9015c.html

"City Council got an early look at a nascent project that could alter the face of the city’s historic Scope complex.

During a presentation updates for Chrysler Hall, the city’s 47-year old performing arts venue that has long been known as the region’s home for Broadway, a team of architects rolled out a series of concepts for a brand-new performance space.

The pitch: a 2,400 square-foot building that would seat 400 and would double as a rehearsal space for the Virginia Symphony Orchestra, which doesn’t currently have a home base for rehearsals.

Rob Cross, the executive director of the Virginia Arts Festival, said the 400-seat facility would fill a gap in Norfolk’s performing arts world – a mid-level venue that could capture shows that are currently passing Norfolk by..."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vdogg said:

There's actually 4 different designs to choose from for the area around Scope. I like Harmony the best. It's bold without being too loud.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/take-a-look-at-how-norfolk-plans-to-transform-the-scope-area/291-9017f6b2-b070-42f3-a8ce-52c4385bdc6e

I agree. I like harmony the best. The others either compleatly do away with the original archutecture, or in the case of rythem, simply change nothing and add a cancerous growth to the back of the building. It worked for the slover but, i dont think it would work with Chrysler Hall.

Edited by Cjnfkvb
  • Like 1

I’ll agree with Harmony being the best one. I don’t think Norfolk has enough all- or mostly glass structures downtown. 

I didn’t realize there’s no small performance venues here. Even the Sandler is a pretty decent size. 

Now that these are out in the open, I hope Mayor Alexander still has some surprises he’s holding on to for the State of the City address. 

• Like 2

Harrison Opera House is especially underutilized, and sits on a gateway lot linking Ghent and Downtown, with a massive parking lot. I wonder how dedicated the city is to keeping Harrison open when it seems the other seven venues could absorb most of the shows that go there, especially with the new library hosting private events now. 

9 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

I'm not sure I understand the need for another venue. Attucks is slightly bigger with 624 seats and sits dark more often than not. And with how seldom they use Chrysler and Harrison, couldn't they just rehearse there?

I've only been a handful of times, but I don't think the Attucks is the same thing as what they're looking for. Sounds like they want something small and informal...otherwise I think they could do the Attucks or the Wells Theater. But overall, it looks like this is more for having a rehearsal space for the Symphony, then small shows or events.

• Like 1

Not really a surprise, but Scope is off the table with Chrysler Hall renovations. Apparently the proposed upgrades would come to $200M, so that makes sense.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/entertainment/article_04cef438-3a03-11e9-8f04-f383430ceea9.html

But, this quote aggravates me...

Even though a drive to Richmond can approach two hours, Rhamstine said Hampton Roads residents would make the trek for big shows at a new arena. He said he knows people from Richmond regularly attend Scope events like basketball tournaments.

I really hope this area doesn't get complacent and not build an arena just because Richmond may have one. I'm so tired of no one ever wanting to take a chance on anything large in this area. We can never get ahead because what we have is "just good enough".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If they leave the scope then they need to capitalize on Military Circle/Janaf. That seems like the only place to put a large or even a complex of arenas in Norfolk itself. This area definitely can support all major league franchises. I’m also loving the glass for the venue. Harmony seems to stand out with the shapes! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Norfolk will plan a whole new arena, won't expand Scope, mayor says - Virginian Pilot

The article summarizes the mayor’s State of the City but highlighted the announcement of a new arena. Seems like the plan is in the early planning stages as there are few details. 

I’m assuming the Pilot got a draft cause I’m watching the speech live and he hasn’t said anything about Scope yet. 

Edited by 23320
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Arena on Military Highway?

That's the only place I can think of in the city where there's ample room, including parking. It's close to the 64/264 interchange, plus it fits the city's long-term plans to revitalize that area and JANAF, including light rail expansion. It being close to the airport makes it easy access for concertgoers or people in town for say, the MEAC tournament or a UFC fight. The owner's website says there's 6,500 parking spaces, and the mall itself takes up 900K square feet. T-Mobile Arena in Vegas, and Golden-1 Center in Sacramento take up 650-700K square feet. A new arena at Military Circle could go for 650K, and with the extra 250K either add more parking or a few restaurants. For comparison, the Ikea is about 330K sf. I know it's probably in horrible shape, but I'd love to see if it's worth remodeling the Doubletree.

From the City of Sacramento site: Parking in downtown is plentiful, but downtown visitors are encouraged to plan ahead! There are 15,500 parking spaces within four blocks of Golden 1 Center which includes private and public parking garages, surface lots, and on-street spaces. A typical sold-out Kings game uses only about 7,000 parking spaces.

A couple of four-story garages may be necessary, perhaps on the old Sears and Macy's, away from Military Hwy? In the meantime, relocate Movement Mortgage and Optima to the Norfolk Southern or Gateway Tower.

As for funding, this really needs to be a regional effort, as it will bring people from every city in Hampton Roads. Folks in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake will complain, but those same people will show up for a concert or NCAA tournament game. Bank on it.

2 hours ago, EJ_LEWIS said:

Norfolk is considering building a new performance space next to Chrysler Hall on the Scope Plaza.  They also are planning to better landscape the plaza with trees, plants and grass. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_f7ec83a4-668d-11e9-abfb-33a79d83b914.html

The rhetoric of the three councilmembers in this article makes me doubt that a new arena is coming anytime soon. If they’re hesitant to spend $10 million then I can’t see them potentially spending $100s of millions. Granted certain conditions (like a pro team or shared expenses with other cities) might change opinions, I don’t see Norfolk following through on this. 

• Like 1

I'm a little torn there. As nice as the designs are, and as much as I'd like to see an investment in the arts, I kinda see where they're coming from. I do wonder if there are other facilities Norfolk could use. Maybe remodel a space in the Neon District or at the new TCC Performing Arts venue.

That said, I think Norfolk needs an arena more desperately. I think funding that could be a little easier (naming rights, a 1-2% increase on sales and hospitality taxes).

If you follow Andrea McClellan , you'll know that she isn't afraid of taking big steps to progress the city. I would say, as someone who frequents the NEON district, $10MM would go a LONG way to make that a more organic and appealing part of the city for artists and patrons alike.  That's not chump change we're dealing with here and we need to make sure we're allocating it correctly.

• Like 2

All of the above options we mentioned are great ideas. I know it may sound cheesy, but I'd even consider a space in MacArthur or the Selden Arcade. The latter, if there's enough space, fits in with the eclectic vibe Norfolk wants.

There's two theaters in the Park Place/Riverview area that have sat closed for years. As much as I love the all-glass building, I think there's more efficient options that Norfolk could consider to promote the arts, and rebuild the communities as a whole.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Respectfully disagree, Key Arena's renovation will cost almost a billion, yes with a B, and only add an extra 2300 seats for the hockey set up for a total of 17,400 seats. If the Scope where to undergo such a ridiculous renovation and somehow, despite being a smaller footprint, add 2300 seats the total for an ice hockey set up would be 11,001. Scope is great but tear it and Chrysler Hall down and replace it with something bigger and better. 

• Like 1