gman430

Jet Pack rentals.

34 posts in this topic

It all started with a dream when Greenville Jetpack Rental's CEO, Terrance Woodburrow, took a trip to Alaska as a child. He saw three eagles fly over his campsite, and an unquenchable thirst for flight was sparked. Forty-five years later Terrance's dream is becoming a reality with the launch of Greenville Jetpack Rentals in Greenville, SC. With twelve employees and a fleet of over one hundred jetpacks, Greenville is well on its way to becoming the first city in the country to offer a fully functioning jetpack transit service.

Prepare for launch: http://www.greenvillejetpacks.com/

I ran the Whois report on the domain. It is owned by Erwin Penland.

Yeah... I dont get how this would work. I would not want to be flying over greenville in a jetpack.... then the battery die :shok:

Now this... this is cool.

I ran the Whois report on the domain. It is owned by Erwin Penland.

That makes sense. So we know it's a hoax campaign. But what for...?

That makes sense. So we know it's a hoax campaign. But what for...?

I'm guessing MBA students with too much time on their hands.

The Twitter and Facebook pages were only created on February 21 and 22. The guy is clearly made up.

And apparently, they used an image of a real jetpack. But one that runs on gas, not battery like the website says.

The question is...how long can you run a fake viral marketing campaign before you either disappoint, alienate, or piss off the general public?

Why would Erwin-Penland spend all of that money paying for these billboards if it's just a marketing ploy? Hmmm.

Edited by gman430

I saw this video on my friend's FB page today too. Hmmm..... 

Edited by KGBrasher77

Why would Erwin-Penland spend all of that money paying for these billboards if it's just a marketing ploy? Hmmm.

They may be doing it on behalf of a client.

They may be doing it on behalf of a client.

Exactly but who and why? Hmmm.

I saw this video on my friend's FB page today too. Hmmm..... 

Well that was clearly a staged video and fake. And the older couple walking didn't even look up, and that would surely draw anyone's attention.

And Verizon is an Erwin Penland client.......

Cool, a lot of people read the consumerist. Great visibility for Greenville!

Sure looks like the consumerist got some details from us.

Hey Knox White! We’d like you to take the inaugural flight on Wednesday, March 13th. What do you think?

This is either something big, like JetBlue or something silly that is spending an insane amount on marketing. Either way at least we'll find out soon. Press invites to the event should go out Monday. 

This is either something big, like JetBlue or something silly that is spending an insane amount on marketing. Either way at least we'll find out soon. Press invites to the event should go out Monday. 

I wouldn't mind if it were even just a major announcement for Erwin Penland. I'm not sure if they'd ever pull a stunt like this for themselves, but it would be exciting if they had a major growth announcement, or plans for consolidating their staff into one building. 

Based on the amount of stuff they've done (and the questionable quality of the creative), it doesn't look like they're poured a ton of time or money into it. It could be pro-bono. Or they could have interns working on it. Agencies also do stuff like this just to win Addys.