Hub City Co-op

Sparkleman

• 5 weeks later...

This forum has been really quiet lately.  So here are a few photos the Co-op posted on FB.  They've torn up the St John side parking area, they're stripping the white paint off the building, they've put in HVAC ducts, and they're currently putting up interior walls.  Definitely coming along well.  Oh, they're also hiring managers, if you're interested.

12065873_961214080584502_385842812641778

12036414_959998090706101_375010206524125

12187702_963293737043203_124790429882270

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the Co-op open house on Saturday.  Construction is coming along really nicely.  The first photo is looking toward the back, where the kitchen and prepared food area will be (i.e.- where you can grab a sandwich for lunch).  Wall for coolers / frozen food is on the right.  The second photo is looking toward the front, where the fresh produce and bulk items will be.  Also, the coolers / frozen food wall continues on the left.  Shelves will be in the middle, of course.  The outside is actually painted red (not bare brick), which is a bit disappointing, but it still looks pretty good.

coopint1.JPG.9296cc252c81dc41104775dc8d0

coopint2.JPG.7ff1cdd5be5fa6372a28376c7b1

coopext.JPG.9b0f3849f29086af12b3be637a0f

roads-scholar, the color is similar to the George, but maybe just a bit more red.  And yes, that's dark, forest-green flashing on the roof line.

This place is going to be awesome.  Now the City just needs to convince SCDOT to install a traffic light at Liberty & St. John.  This area of DT will be getting much more active, and a signal will become desperately needed as people walk between the George / CCC and the Co-op (and Papa's and HC Tap House). 

(Edit: Need to bury those power lines, too.)

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

I agree 100% with traffic calming on St John St. The challenge with a traffic circle is all of the extra space you'd need to make it large enough to allow 18-wheelers through. Options are probably limited on St John St due to the fact that it is also US-29, so a traffic signal is probably the best bet. Assuming SCDOT would go for it, the cost burden would probably fall on the City since it would definitely not meet any vehicular-traffic-based signal warrants.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The upper parking lot now has curbing, decorative lamps are in on the St John side of the building, most of the front windows are in, and the sidewalk along the side of the store has actually been poured since I took these photos this weekend.

56959959a3047_coopfront.JPG.695d74874d0a5695995c4c120_coopside.JPG.963cf6c944128

Edit: And here's a photo the Co-op posted on FB of the aforementioned lamps.

12540975_998294383543138_183974106483057

Edited by westsider28
Extra photo

• 3 weeks later...

A couple updates: landscaping is going in, sidewalks have been paved, the entrance has been completed, and the lower parking lot was just paved.  Here's my photo from the weekend, and one from the Co-op's FB page today:

coop.thumb.JPG.07a9d846bf752b4129986c13412644739_1009123989126844_50783093878475

Update (2/4): top parking lot is paved, too.

Edited by westsider28

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
9 hours ago, gman430 said:

I'm not a regular coop shopper but enjoy visiting and checking out their selections.  A few observations:

• I feel the term "coop" is confusing to people.  Some might believe the store is for members only.  That's got to change.
  • The coop's selections are limited.  If you're accustomed to Ingles or Publix then you'll be underwhelmed with the coop.
  • Prices are higher but not anymore than Whole Foods. or another specialty grocer.  You're going to pay a little more for a gallon of milk.  So what?
  • I'm not privy to the salaries paid to management but worry they may be out of line.  I hope I'm wrong on that. 
  • The store is clean and organized - just my style. 
  • I haven't been there on Sundays but wonder if Sunday hours are necessary?
  • Finally, the coop is not a "supermarket".  Its not going to have a vast selection.  It was never intended to be that.  Folks who come in looking for ten different variations of hamburger buns need to shop somewhere else. 

Thoughts?

Edited by roads-scholar

Been in there once and found it to be overpriced for what it is. 

Maybe it's a bit ahead of it's time for the berg, but in any case, I look forward to seeing what opens in it's place. It's a great location and great building. I'd love to see a sexy entertainment venue (nice lounge with great DJ and live music, craft cocktails and a great vibe). Spartanburg needs a place to go out! I mean bars are great, but they're bars, I want an awesome dance lounge, upper scale that keeps the riffraff out. ;)  

Edited by Spartanburg Dude

1 hour ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Been in there once and found it to be overpriced for what it is. 

Maybe it's a bit ahead of it's time for the berg, but in any case, I look forward to seeing what opens in it's place. It's a great location and great building. I'd love to see a sexy entertainment venue (nice lounge with great DJ and live music, craft cocktails and a great vibe). Spartanburg needs a place to go out! I mean bars are great, but they're bars, I want an awesome dance lounge, upper scale that keeps the riffraff out. ;)  

That was attempted at Rome and did not fly. In fact I cannot see this idea working now unless it were in a hotel. Perhaps the Cambria hotel can help with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1