Knoxville Construction and Updates

Just going to start a general Knoxville construction thread and pin it.

This looks nice!

0309_kclo_ipad_marble-thumb-550x339-2656

Developer Buzz Goss is teaming with a Murfreesboro firm on a 238-unit downtown apartment project that would also include a pool and a parking garage.

The Marble Alley Lofts venture was announced Friday morning. Goss is teaming with TDK Construction Company, of Murfreesboro, on a project that would be located on a block bounded by State Street, Commerce Avenue, South Central Street and Union Avenue.

Currently a surface parking lot, the site is owned by Knox County but Goss has an option to buy it.

The developer said this morning that construction should begin late this year or early next year and be completed by 2015. The buildings will be three to five stories tall and Kent Ayer, of TDK, said a one-bedroom studio will likely rent for around $850 a month.

The parking garage would have 350 spaces.

Financing has not yet been finalized, but Ayer said the team is targeting a HUD program in which that agency insures a loan issued by a bank. But he emphasized that Marble Alley Lofts would be a high-end project, and not a rent-subsidized or Section 8 development.

Update:
Specifically, Ayer cited HUD's 221(d)(4) program.

For his part, Goss in 2009 had pitched an ambitious plan for Marble Alley which included 150,000 square feet of retail space; 100,000 square feet or more of commercial and office space; and a retail arcade that would front Gay Street and run across the parking lot next to Mast General Store.

The plan announced Friday does not include a retail component, but Goss indicated he's working on retail and commercial space for a second phase.

In 2011, a Georgia developer outlined a plan for an apartment community that would have been the first phase of development on the site, but Goss said that project is not happening.

Update #2:
Here's a link to the site plan.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I drove up to Gatlinburg this past weekend and took Chapman hwy from Knox to Sevierville...I noticed demolition at the old Baptist Hospital right across the river from downtown.

The site is massive, 23 acres, and about 10+ buildings. They completely shut the whole hospital down and the developer is tearing down every building but two. Kind of wished they would have kept the main hospital tower. I liked the art deco pinkish look that it had. Plus it had a massive pressence.

However, glad this campus is getting redeveloped. This will be great for Knoxville.

Knoxville is a great city....and continues to get better.

http://www.cityofknoxville.org/Press_Releases/Content/2013/0604.asp

http://wuot.org/post/south-knoxville-riverfront-development-will-replace-baptist-hospital-campus

riverfront_dev_060413.jpg

riverfront_dev_060413a.jpg

The Existing campus

blanchardannounce580.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Inside of Knoxville has news on a new residential/commercial structure planned for the old Regas restaurant site...

http://insideofknoxville.com/2015/10/amazing-new-condo-and-retail-project-announced-regas-square/

Also, Regal is considering moving their headquarters to the south waterfront...

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/regal-negotiating-move-to-south-knoxville-waterfront_90407498

• Like 2

So nice to see an update about Knoxville. I have been there enough times over the past few years to know there's more going on, and not just at UT's campus. There's a lot of potential in that city. Would like to see those fast-expanding suburbs give up some of that growth to the core. 

• Like 1

Inside of Knoxville has news on a new residential/commercial structure planned for the old Regas restaurant site...

http://insideofknoxville.com/2015/10/amazing-new-condo-and-retail-project-announced-regas-square/

Also, Regal is considering moving their headquarters to the south waterfront...

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local-news/regal-negotiating-move-to-south-knoxville-waterfront_90407498

Great news on both fronts. Getting Regal downtown just makes sense, and would be a great re-purposing of the old hospital site.

Love the look of those apartments, too.

• Like 1

More on the Regal prospects and the hospital site, from WBIR:  http://www.wbir.com/story/news/2015/10/14/regal-move-knox-waterfront-could-cost-taxpayers-millions/73907122/

"Tennova Healthcare sold the 24-acre site to Blanchard and Calhoun, an Augusta, Ga.-based developer, in December 2013 for $6.25 million. Before that, it sat vacant since the hospital closed in 2008.  The company plans to build one of the largest developments in the history of Knoxville and Knox County: A $165 million mixed-use project that features luxury apartments, shops, a hotel, restaurants and a riverwalk between the Gay and Henley bridges."

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 3:06 PM, MetroTN said:

Wow! That's gonna feel weird...first, that was my local bank branch. Secondly, there were many times I walked through there on the way to Cool Beans. 

I was there last summer, and that seemed to be one of the few places in Knoxville seeing quite a bit of development. I love the urban development, but I hope they don't kill the vibe of The Strip (though in this case, nothing is really being lost, other than excess parking for FTB).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Damn, that's rather unfortunate. Hard to believe Knoxville is seeing hardly any major projects while just a couple of hours away Nashville is booming.

What's the deal? Stagnant economy? Just a low level of population growth? Seemed like there was lots of change happening when I was living there from 2002-2007.