Knoxville Construction and Updates

Plans for the Supreme Court building are scaled back. 

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2018/10/29/downtown-knoxville-hotel-market-capacity-development/1762137002/

“Marriott has basically told us there’s too much hotel product in Knoxville,” Dover said. “They’re not going to do anything else until further notice for the types of hotels that we’re talking about.

New hotel rooms downtown

• The Tennessean: 82 rooms
  • The Hyatt Place (former Farragut Hotel building): 165 rooms (also a Dover project)
  • Courtyard by Marriott/Residence Inn: 144 rooms and 88 rooms, respectively
  • Andrew Johnson Building (pending): 94 rooms
  • Embassy Suites: 160 rooms

New rendering keeps the mid-century Supreme Courts building with possible conversion to AirBnB use ("serviced hotel"). 

New renderings for the Supreme Court site downtown Knoxville keep the old court building (pink) intact.

Knoxville is getting ready to seek bids for redevelopment

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not really construction related but Knoxville will be hosting cycling US Road Championship again next year. I really hope to make it to this one as I was out of town last year. I know it isn't huge, but it probably does have somewhat of a positive financial impact for the city. A TN native won it this year

June 27-30 USA Cycling US PRO Road Championships Knoxville, Tenn.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/announcements/2018/10/11/usa-cycling-announces-2019-national-championships#.W-2IE0nQacw

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just set up a thread for this kind of news for you. Feel free to change things around once you get on board nativetenn. 

I would also get the burb news for Oak Ridge, and Sevierville too. You may get folks from those areas to start posting. Don't be discouraged as it will take some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Latest renderings for the Supreme Court building:

Proposed-Supreme-Court-Site-Development-Viewed-from-Locust-Street-Corner-of-Locust-and-Church.thumb.jpg.02f819a6e7fb283d4ba0691332137a63.jpgProposed-Supreme-Court-Site-Development-Viewed-from-Henley-Street-Corner-of-Church-and-Henley.thumb.jpg.11bf81891f28112acbb36fe43f9ef1d4.jpg

Original floor count and rooms were scaled back due to more hotels and rooms added downtown. 

I really like these renderings. This will blend in very nicely in this section of downtown. I'm a fan of the balconies. Makes it look very lively and suits Knoxville's outdoors-oriented vibe.

^^^ Credits to the InsideofKnoxville blog. Please give that site a visit!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IWS1402 said:

This project is listed on the "in progress" section of the architects website. I don't have any inside sources or anything like that but I have the feeling this one is actually going to happen. 

http://www.gamble-gamble-architects.com/in-progress/#/the-t-at-riverfront/

Thanks, @IWS1402, and welcome to the board!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The latest on the Kerns Bakery site redevelopment. Who knows if this will happen or not.

https://www.knoxtntoday.com/developers-reveal-latest-plans-for-kerns-redevelopment/

Also, there is an article on knoxnews from 3/22 that another section of Riverwalk will be built from Suttree Landing Park to River's Edge Apartments. It's behind a paywall so I won't link it. Knoxville will have something really nice when/if the riverwalk runs the entire length of that section of the south Knoxville riverfront, 

Edited by IWS1402
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IWS1402 said:

The latest on the Kerns Bakery site redevelopment. Who knows if this will happen or not.

https://www.knoxtntoday.com/developers-reveal-latest-plans-for-kerns-redevelopment/

Also, there is an article on knoxnews from 3/22 that another section of Riverwalk will be built from Suttree Landing Park to River's Edge Apartments. It's behind a paywall so I won't link it. Knoxville will have something really nice when/if the riverwalk runs the entire length of that section of the south Knoxville riverfront, 

The riverfront already looks so much better than it did just 3 years ago. I am very pleased the city is investing so much in our riverfront. 

I'll get some more pictures of the development there soon.

Walmart at University Commons has closed.  This is a big blow to revitalization efforts for the Fort/U.T. area.  Publix has said it has no intention of closing its University Commons store, but the 120,000 square feet of space left vacant by Walmart's departure isn't good news.  Any ideas what could replace it?

22 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Walmart at University Commons has closed.  This is a big blow to revitalization efforts for the Fort/U.T. area.  Publix has said it has no intention of closing its University Commons store, but the 120,000 square feet of space left vacant by Walmart's departure isn't good news.  Any ideas what could replace it?

Seems like it would be a perfect spot for an Ikea with so many students living on and around campus along with the population growth downtown. 

1 hour ago, IWS1402 said:

Seems like it would be a perfect spot for an Ikea with so many students living on and around campus along with the population growth downtown. 

I would like something like that there as well, but I'm not sure an Ikea model is feasible at that location because the space is too small.

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

We speculated what may replace it around a month ago; my guesses are a sporting goods outlet, a small-scale furniture store or an office supply store. It will be challening to replace that location with another retailer, especially with the frequency at which college students like myself order things online now. I'm beginning to think University Commons was a good idea, but flawed in practice. Walmart pulled out because the market was too saturated.

• 2 weeks later...