Knoxville Construction and Updates

1 hour ago, nativetenn said:

20190410_161103.thumb.jpg.3903edc78566c126480d81571e9b8289.jpg

It's happening! This old lot on the Strip is finally being developed.

Once this is developed, there will be no more vacant spaces along the Strip. Great for UT and the city.

I absolutely love how the city is transforming the strip into a bonafide urban college commercial district.  I was blown away by the change I witnessed when I was there last July, and it sounds like it has only gotten better since then.  Before last year it had been probably ten years since I had been on the strip, and back then it was almost entirely made up of just ugly suburban fast food joints.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I absolutely love how the city is transforming the strip into a bonafide urban college commercial district.  I was blown away by the change I witnessed when I was there last July, and it sounds like it has only gotten better since then.  Before last year it had been probably ten years since I had been on the strip, and back then it was almost entirely made up of just ugly suburban fast food joints.  

Street-level retail is transforming the Strip for the better. Knoxville is prioritizing everything but cars around UT campus. It's much easier to walk and bike around here than it was when I got here in 2015.

• Like 1

Not much info out there about whatever that is going to be. Only thing I could find is:

"A Resolution to amend Resolution No. R-250-2017 which authorized the Industrial Development Board of the City of Knoxville to negotiate and accept from Orange Knoxville Cumberland, LLC (subsequently assigned to Breckenridge Group Knoxville, Tennessee, LLC), payments in lieu of ad valorem taxes with respect to property located at 2223 Cumberland Avenue, so as to clarify language outlined in the PILOT lease defining the project and uses of the property. (Requested by Law Department and Office of Redevelopment)"

The only other info is that Breckenridge Group paid $15 million for the property in December.  

Edited by IWS1402
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, IWS1402 said:

Not much info out there about whatever that is going to be. Only thing I could find is:

"A Resolution to amend Resolution No. R-250-2017 which authorized the Industrial Development Board of the City of Knoxville to negotiate and accept from Orange Knoxville Cumberland, LLC (subsequently assigned to Breckenridge Group Knoxville, Tennessee, LLC), payments in lieu of ad valorem taxes with respect to property located at 2223 Cumberland Avenue, so as to clarify language outlined in the PILOT lease defining the project and uses of the property. (Requested by Law Department and Office of Redevelopment)"

The only other info is that Breckenridge Group paid $15 million for the property in December.  

This is what's going on that spot on Cumberland. https://aspenknoxville.com

Based on the CVS rendering on the website, it's at least 5 stories. 

Edited by IWS1402
Added additional info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Stockyard Lofts will be a six-story mixed-use apartment complex in the Old City, bringing 400 more residents to Downtown Knoxville. Yet another wasted space of land will be converted into an ideal urban experience. It will occupy the former Crown and Goose parking lot. Construction has already started.

The links are from Sept. 2019, but I missed this piece of news.

Photo Gallery: https://www.knoxnews.com/picture-gallery/news/2019/09/05/stockyard-lofts-construction-breaking-ground-steve-davis-mixed-use-development-knoxville-old-city/2201500001/

More information: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbir.com/amp/article/life/six-story-apartment-complex-slated-for-the-old-city/51-0125d55f-5565-4d00-a93c-e6b597c3461c

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

What goes around comes around.  I remember going to baseball games in Knoxville when the stadium was just east of downtown, a mere few blocks from where the new proposed stadium will be.  It was incredibly stupid to let the Smokies relocate all the way out to Sevier County.  Speaking of which, what will happen to that stadium at Exit 407?

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Again from BALLPARK DIGEST

A new Knoxville ballpark for the Tennessee Smokies (Double-A South) is moving forward, with funding included in a state budget proposal and the appointment of a city Sports Authority.

Governor Bill Lee included $13.5 million for a new downtown ballpark in his 2021-2022 administrative budget, part of a funding plan for a $65-million ballpark anchoring a proposed $142-million mixed-use development in Knoxville’s Old City area. That ballpark for the Smokies would be the economic fuel driving the mixed-use development featuring 630,000 square feet of residential, restaurants and retail in the ballpark vicinity. The earliest the new ballpark could open: 2023.

As shown above, a preliminary rendering;

1887194776_SmokiesBallpark.jpg.b7195afc9d4edafb2aedd5adca785d79.jpg

More about the financing and the State's help; The city will own the ballpark and lease it out to the team owners, but the City can use it for concerts and festivals.

Besides the state contribution, the ballpark be funded by a 1.5 percent sales tax within a quarter mile of the ballpark, including all events within the ballpark itself. The sales-tax agreement is contingent on commitments for $100 million in investments in the ballpark area; Smokies owner Randy Boyd already was shooting for $142 million in investments.

This sounds like it's getting real. Good for Knoxville.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

World's largest convenience store coming to Sevierville  on some Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians property along I-40.

Now 2 locations from Charlotte to Nashville to stop at in the future! I can not wait!  The world's cleanest public restrooms and full of good food and interesting stuff.  

""Buc-ee's just broke ground on its first Tennessee location, and it already has plans for a second — which will also be the world's largest travel center. The company already touts its 66,335-square-foot store in New Braunfels, Texas, as the largest convenience store in the world. The new store in Sevierville, Tennessee, would be the new record holder at more than 74,000 square feet, according to a press release from Cherokee, North Carolina-based Kituwah LLC and Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. The Sevierville Buc-ee's would be part of a 200-acre future development called The 407: Gateway to Adventure. Buc-ee's is the first company announced for the development. The travel center will include more than 120 fueling positions, electric vehicle charging stations and a car wash over 250 feet long. Buc-ee's says its store in Katy currently has the world's longest car wash, at 255 feet long. 

Earlier this month, Buc-ee's announced it would break ground on its first Tennessee location on June 15. That 53,400-square-foot location in Crossville will also feature approximately 120 fueling positions. Crossville is about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville.  The Tennessee locations are part of Buc-ee’s multistate expansion across the South, joining stores in Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Kentucky, where Buc-ee's broke ground in April. Others locations are in the works.""

from the Houston Biz Journal

Buc-ee's plans world's largest travel center in Tennessee - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Knoxville-Knox County approves site plan for Smokies Stadium;

The Knoxville-Knox County Planning Commission approved a preliminary site plan for a new Tennessee Smokies (Double-A South) home, in the first step toward a ballpark-driving development in the city’s Old Town.

The vote for the rezoning from various industrial classifications to development was unanimous, as was expected. 

The redevelopment of the 21.5-acre site is centered on a new ballpark for the Smokies, who currently play at the suburban Smokies Park. The proposed $142-million mixed-use development in Knoxville’s Old City area would be anchored by a new $65-million ballpark for the Smokies. That ballpark for the Smokies would be the economic fuel driving the privately financed mixed-use development featuring 630,000 square feet of residential, restaurants, retail and a grocery store in the ballpark vicinity. A sales tax implemented just for the ballpark events would be implemented to partially finance the ballpark construction.

A Smokies 2.jpg

A smokies 6.jpg

A Smokies 5.jpg

A Smokies 4.jpg

A Smokies 3.jpg

a Smokies 7.jpg

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

“Taking one more in the myriad of steps needed to ensure the project goes forward, the local city-county Sports Authority approved a formal pact Wednesday that commits it, Knoxville and Knox County to financing for creation of a downtown stadium.”

“Next week the Knoxville City Council and Knox County Commission are scheduled to affix their approval to what's being called an "interlocal agreement.”

“It covers specifics such as the up to $65 million in bonds that will be issued to pay for the stadium and the revenue sources -- including team rent and sales tax collections inside the stadium -- that will cover financing costs. It also includes commitment to create a reserve fund that in the future will cover capital expenses when equipment gets old or fresh maintenance is needed. The city and county would split contributions into the fund, documents show.”

More on WBIR: https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local/sports-authority-signs-off-on-pact-with-city-county-governments-must-bless-document/51-0d8ea248-0f80-4cae-8602-68d9e3f8b946

• Like 1

The Dominion Group is planning a $60 million development known as South Banks with 230 apartments, 268 podium and surface parking spaces, and 2 retail spaces of unknown size on Waterfront Dr. across from Suttree Landing Park in South Knoxville (SoKno). There will be 10 buildings, mostly at 3 stories but a few at 2 stories, totaling 314,000 sq. ft., and work on the development is expected to begin in the spring. Studios could start at around $1,300 per month.  Grading of the site is ongoing in conjunction with two of the four new road extensions for the project, which are almost complete. The final two extensions have some utilities in place, but work beyond site clearing has not been done. Additionally, the surrounding roads, including the extensions, are having new sidewalks, streetlights, and street parking installed.

More behind the paywall on Knox News: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2021/10/29/south-banks-suttree-landing-apartments-parking-south-knoxville-dominion-group/6176320001/

More on Sanders Pace Architecture: http://sanderspace.com/project/south-banks-at-suttree-landing-park/

Images courtesy of Sanders Pace Architecture:

6EmJ8sW.jpg

8tF69eW.jpg

v0yogL3.jpg

5o5nrAi.jpg

GaGDoyX.jpg

Current grading and road extension/improvement:

Langford Ave improvements:

hdegGhg.jpg

Empire St. extension:

WThYMgY.jpg 

LVhWtiR.jpg