Knoxville Construction and Updates

3 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

Here is what's planned. 

"Development is underway to transform the former hotel into apartments with retail. 375 units are planned, with 360 designated as studio apartments." 

"The company recently stated to the C.B.I.D. Development Committee that they had been approached by the University of Tennessee about the possibility of leasing a block of the units or the entire building in order to ease their student housing crunch. Ms. Jimenez said, “We have received the master lease agreement from the University of Tennessee. Our legal is currently reviewing the terms and conditions. We are moving forward and we are in the middle of the mutual negotiation."

Read more on Inside of Knoxville: https://insideofknoxville.com/2022/11/former-marriott-to-become-vision-apartments-funding-requested/

Images Courtesy of Inside of Knoxville:

zsdSTtY.jpg

fbnBd9T.jpg

PqulL81.jpg

I'm glad to see they're planning to give the old girl a makeover. I stayed there a couple of times over 20  years ago. It looked dated even then, like an indoor "motel".  It's built like a WW2 bunker, and it's iconic on the K'town skyline. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2023 at 2:24 PM, smeagolsfree said:

I saw this and was excited to see!

On 4/29/2023 at 10:04 PM, MLBrumby said:

Yep! Construction on the first phase is in full swing! It's a massive site. This doesn't even show the other parcel next to it that's also a part of this phase. Here's a good gallery of construction progress.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/money/business/2023/05/01/cumberland-avenue-businesses-make-plans-amid-construction-on-the-strip/70012782007/

MgHQ2JP.jpg

• Like 2

A 5-story Homewood Suites by Hilton, one of the new projects revealed in the Excelsior project's Design Review Board file, is being planned for the parking lot at 207 E. Jackson Ave.  The 3rd picture shows where the project will be located in yellow, as well as an elevation of the entirety of E. Jackson Ave when this, Excelsior, a planned flat iron project, and stadium are all complete. Heyoh Design and Development, who is a part of the Excelsior project, had a few of these Homewood Suites images on their website, so they are most likely contributing to this project as well. 

CeOKxBE.jpg

1GvpARS.jpg

jLkwAe4.jpg

vbAoNIN.png

• Like 3

Thanks Wes! Good to know what's happening in K'town these days. Haven't been in months, but the city has the "nub" for a great downtown/university area. I've even seen it on lists lately of best college towns in the South.  You always see Charlottesville and Athens at the very top... then some with Oxford and I've been surprised to see Knoxville climing up that list. Scruffy city! 

Also, IIRC you're in the Archiitecture school at UTK, right? What year are you? I have a family member who graduated two years ago, a family friend who graduated three years ago, and a member of my family's chuch graduating this spring. All have great jobs. I've heard all of them say it's the "toughest major" there!  And there's a daughter of a fellow attorney who attends one of the private schools here (a HS junior I think) who's weighing architecture schools for college. She sounds like she's stuck on Univ. of Mich, but anything I can add for her parents to make the case for UTK, they'd appreciate. 

• Like 3

On 5/5/2023 at 11:27 AM, MLBrumby said:

Thanks Wes! Good to know what's happening in K'town these days. Haven't been in months, but the city has the "nub" for a great downtown/university area. I've even seen it on lists lately of best college towns in the South.  You always see Charlottesville and Athens at the very top... then some with Oxford and I've been surprised to see Knoxville climing up that list. Scruffy city! 

Also, IIRC you're in the Archiitecture school at UTK, right? What year are you? I have a family member who graduated two years ago, a family friend who graduated three years ago, and a member of my family's chuch graduating this spring. All have great jobs. I've heard all of them say it's the "toughest major" there!  And there's a daughter of a fellow attorney who attends one of the private schools here (a HS junior I think) who's weighing architecture schools for college. She sounds like she's stuck on Univ. of Mich, but anything I can add for her parents to make the case for UTK, they'd appreciate. 

Yeah and there are more projects popping up all over. I think we’re finally shifting into a higher gear with the new stadium, population boom, and the university skyrocketing in attendance. 

I am in the architecture school! Just finished 2nd year. I would argue something in the medical field would be tougher haha, but I have long nights working occasionally as well… I’d say the arch program at UTK is definitely more supportive than it used to be judging off of what my cousin has said when she attended years ago. While you are responsible for being a problem solver, the teachers are always helping us with how to improve our work to be the best it can be. They aren’t there to make you fail and will always provide you with support, but you can’t just scrap by either you have to put in the work for sure. This has at least been my experience so far! Hope that helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So good for you!  Best wished on your future!  And thanks for that "inside" on the Arch curriculum. I understand it's five  years and a semester abroad is required. I even posted something about one class a couple of years ago, where their "abroad" was to look at relocating the Radnor Yards in south Nashville and repurposing that land/tracks through the heart of the city. I never heard about anything that came out of that project. I suggested to my colleague that his daughter look at where the grads go to work, and not just the geographic area, but firms, their sizes, their projects, etc. 

• Like 1

301 E. Jackson Ave, another one of the new projects revealed in the Excelsior project's Design Review Board file, is being planned for a vacant lot. It will be a flatiron project sandwiched between James White Parkway and the intersection of E. Jackson Ave and Morgan St. It is highlighted in blue in the first picture below. It can also be seen in the 2nd picture behind the Homewood Suites in the upper right corner.

jLkwAe4.jpg

vbAoNIN.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GEM Community Development Group revealed that Yardley Flats will be the name for the two apartment components attached to the new multi-use stadium in the Old City. Both buildings will be 5 stories of units over 2 levels of parking and will be connected via a skybridge. "This $70 million residential development along the third-base line with ballpark views is in addition to the nine-story condo building named after Beauford Delaney" "Named Yardley Flats, the 233-unit apartment complex will remember William Francis Yardley, a civil rights advocate believed to be the first African American to bring a case to the Tennessee Supreme Court." "The project is led by Third Base Residential, a new company formed as a partnership between local developer Joe Fielden Jr., Joe Fielden Sr., and GEM Community Development Group, the private development partner to team owner Randy Boyd and Boyd Sports." Rents are expected to be on the higher end, and "One building will feature a courtyard with views of the stadium, fire pits, grilling stations and dining areas. Other amenities include:  Swimming pool with sundeck, grilling stations, firepits and field views, Indoor-outdoor fitness center, Business center with co-working spaces and a café, Game room, Gathering spaces for “watch parties”, Sports lounge with stadium and pool views, Dog park in the garage, Pet spa with dog washing stations, Storage and repair center for bicycles, In-unit washers and dryers, Quartz countertops with subway tile backsplash, Stainless-steel Energy Star Whirlpool appliances, [and] Electric vehicle charging. The apartment buildings also will feature lockers for packages, a leasing center and 2,500 square feet of retail space. More than half of the units will have full or partial views of the field, [and]  every resident will have access to common areas with stadium views." Groundbreaking is expected in a few months with the first building coming online in spring 2025 and the second in summer 2025.

Read more on Inside of Knoxville: https://insideofknoxville.com/2023/05/stadium-adjacent-yardley-flats-apartments-announced/

Read more behind the paywall on Knox News: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/money/business/2023/05/01/downtown-knoxville-apartments-yardley-flats-smokies-stadium-view/70157649007/

Read more on Yardley Flats website: https://apartmentsdowntownknoxville.com

xSf0TMl.jpg

t2HM65a.jpg

YkNZWRL.jpg

5zhknsw.jpg

xpKooAE.jpg

nPuQXH8.jpg

QhxQcec.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2023 at 10:46 PM, UrbanWes03 said:

I saw this and was excited to see!

Yep! Construction on the first phase is in full swing! It's a massive site. This doesn't even show the other parcel next to it that's also a part of this phase. Here's a good gallery of construction progress.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/money/business/2023/05/01/cumberland-avenue-businesses-make-plans-amid-construction-on-the-strip/70012782007/

MgHQ2JP.jpg

There is a live camera of this construction site from WVLT. Go here and scroll down to the last camera feed. https://www.wvlt.tv/page/cameras/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

When will Knoxville get another mid-rise/high-rise? That is the question! You guys seem to be getting a fair amount of infill now but nothing of note in the CBD. Do you think there will be a high-rise apartment tower downtown anytime soon?

Yes I think. Rumors are floating around for the historic Pryor Brown parking garage site and the entire block of parking lot surrounding it. It is beyond feasible repair and the owners have applied for a demo permit for that. Apparently the project will be the entire block and be the biggest thing in Knoxville. That's literally all I have heard though. The T at Riverfront site is apparently seeing another proposal as well that will be a smaller project and no renderings have been released…

5 hours ago, IWS1402 said:

There is a live camera of this construction site from WVLT. Go here and scroll down to the last camera feed. https://www.wvlt.tv/page/cameras/

Wow I never knew about this! This is great, thanks!

• Like 3

On 5/10/2023 at 8:16 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Welcome back to the forum after a few years of hiatus. Looking forward to seeing more of you.

Thanks. While I haven't been posting I've definitely been lurking around here. There are a couple of other cameras at the stadium site but they don't appear to be live streaming yet. They do show time lapses though which are kind of cool. https://www.denark.com/project/knoxville-multi-use-stadium/. Scroll down a little. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Vector Hospitality has also placed on their website that they will be constructing a Tempo by Hilton at the corner of Walnut St. and W. Church Ave. where a surface parking lot currently resides. Like the AC Hotel, I really y hope this is preliminary. The curb cuts are horrendous. Nonetheless, far better than a surface lot.

https://vectorhotels.com/affiliated-hotels

bK6ap7K.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for keeping us up to date on what's happening in Knoxville! I don't make it through very often, but I'm always impressed with the build-out of the area around downtown every time I'm through. Can't wait to see what the area around the new baseball stadium looks like here in a few years!

Does anyone know if there are any plans to build on the giant lot at Gay and Cumberland? Even when I was working at the ETHC back in 2003-2007 I always would walk past it and think about what a waste it was having a giant parking lot on what could be one of the most vibrant street corners in the state.

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
  • Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 1:57 PM, UrbanWes03 said:

Yes I think. Rumors are floating around for the historic Pryor Brown parking garage site and the entire block of parking lot surrounding it. It is beyond feasible repair and the owners have applied for a demo permit for that. Apparently the project will be the entire block and be the biggest thing in Knoxville. That's literally all I have heard though. The T at Riverfront site is apparently seeing another proposal as well that will be a smaller project and no renderings have been released…

I believe you’re also referencing the Pryor Brown site as well. This is the rumor ^^^. They have officially been granted permission for demolition but they have to get permits for road closures and things like that. So we’ll see if they announce any plans after that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Henry Lofts will be a 5-story mixed-use development at 109 S. Broadway St. Hatcher-Hill Properties, Land Development Solutions, and elemi architects are involved. It seems there will be 25 1-bed units and 12 2-bed units, with 3,300 sf of retail.

Board of Zoning Appeals File: https://cdnsm5-hosted.civiclive.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_109478/File/Boards/zoningappeals/packets/2023/6D23VA.pdf

0HCVUJs.png

eZgaDMx.png

PSj0o70.png

ak3c5Lo.jpg

• Like 2