New Nashville MSA definition

BnaBreaker

I don't know if anyone was aware of this, I know I certainly wasn't until today, but apparently the federal government has come out with some new MSA and CSA definitions.  Some areas changed, others didn't.  In Nashville's case, things changed significantly.  There were a whopping SIX counties added to our MSA.  Those counties are Cannon, Trousdale, Smith, Hickman, Macon, and Maury, which altogether constitute roughly 170,000 people.  This would put our MSA currently at somewhere in the 1.8 million range, and it would put our CSA, which now includes Bedford, Marshall, and Lawrence County, at very close to the 2 million mark. 

It's a huge document, so be patient with it, but here is the document from the White House detailing all of the new definitions: 

[url[http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/bulletins/2013/b13-01.pdf

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yuk... that's like Atlanta... they have just about every county in north Georgia in their MSA.  Ridiculous... Nashville's MSA will always be the 8 counties of Davidson, Cheatham, DIckson, Robertson, Sumner, Wilson, Rutherford and Williamson to me.

Yeah, I'm not sure I like it either.  In the end, it really doesn't make too much of a difference I suppose, but even though the vast, vast majority of all of the new counties are rural areas, it does give the perception of Nashville being even sprawlier than it is.  I do think that Maury legitimately belongs, however.

I saw this. I'm not surprised that they added Maury. Cannon, Hickman, Macon, Smith, and Trousdale were already in it, since 2003.

We don't get to pick and choose our counties, but I think the 10 county region (old 8 county metro + Maury & Montgomery) is more representative of the area. But MSA's are based on jobs/commuting...and right now, the areas hurting for jobs are mainly rural...so this is no surprise.

I saw this. I'm not surprised that they added Maury. Cannon, Hickman, Macon, Smith, and Trousdale were already in it, since 2003.

We don't get to pick and choose our counties, but I think the 10 county region (old 8 county metro + Maury & Montgomery) is more representative of the area. But MSA's are based on jobs/commuting...and right now, the areas hurting for jobs are mainly rural...so this is no surprise.

My mistake!  I didn't realize that those were already added.

I'm not surprised Maury County (80,000+) is now part of the MSA. The growth of Spring Hill from 5,000 to 29,000 in the last decade indicates strong commuting patterns between Maury and the rest of the Nashville MSA. If you've ever seen the southbound, evening traffic jams on I-65 south of Franklin, you would have to agree.

I cannot see Montgomery County being added anytime soon as it is it's own MSA (250,000 +/-) that includes Hopkinsville, KY.

Also.... 1.7 million!!! Whew! If there is any basis to the claim that Nashville's MSA is growing by 50,000/year, that would add another 350,000 by the 2020 census; 2,050,000!

Also.... 1.7 million!!! Whew! If there is any basis to the claim that Nashville's MSA is growing by 50,000/year, that would add another 350,000 by the 2020 census; 2,050,000!

We need mass transit so bad if this comes true. I do not want to imagine driving around if Nashville continues to not solve the traffic problem.

Archived