300 room hotel planned downtown.

gman430

JHM Hotels is planning another hotel in downtown Greenville, even as it wraps up a major renovation of the Hyatt on Main Street, an executive with the company said.

The proposed hotel would have about 300 rooms and be built at the corner of Spring and Washington streets sometime in the next year or two, though no firm schedule has been set, said D.J. Rama, president of JHM Hotels.

He said the Greenville-based company would develop the “premium brand” hotel “as the market matures.”

The square-shaped site where JHM Hotels plans the 300-room hotel consists of about an acre between the Spring Street municipal garage and the federal courthouse.

An entity controlled by JHM Hotels bought the site last year from Independence National Bank for $1.75 million, according to property records.

More info: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/proart/20130312/business/303120076?pagerestricted=1

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're not mutually exclusive. Why couldn't both get built?

Come on. You know better than that, its all about market saturation. Can Greenville support two additional hotels? And maybe another around the West End in the next few years. I don't have the numbers, but my guess is no. So in a way they are mutually exclusive. 

Strategically, I think Greenville needs more downtown hotel space, particularly a higher capacity hotel, for attracting conventions and such to the city. The site is a great one. Hopefully we'll see something matching the height of 100 East, which isn't all that much to ask I don't think. 

Come on. You know better than that, its all about market saturation. Can Greenville support two additional hotels? And maybe another around the West End in the next few years. I don't have the numbers, but my guess is no. So in a way they are mutually exclusive.

You didn't see the G-Journal article about the hotel occupancy rate growth in Greenville from a few months ago?

This project has been in the same state for many months and was discussed at the time the property was sold. I suspect that this article was the result of some reporter following up on the previous story, as there is nothing new in it: not the location, not the size, not the unspecified "premium brand"...

It's fun to notice that WYFF's story about this project includes an aerial photo of the wrong plot of land. It actually shows construction going on at the American Roadside Burgers site! http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/New-hotel-coming-to-downtown-Greenville/-/9654794/19286934/-/kl4m8h/-/index.html

It seems corrected now. Or is that parking lot not where it is being considered?

Wow, this would be terrific. With the the courthouse and this, all the of the big parking lots on that side of DT will be filled and will look great. 

Should also allow more room for DT to grow.

GV needs more hotels to attract business. I think both would be successful. Not to mention with all the housing built downtown, those people need hotels for people who visit them.

People don't build big expensive hotels and banks don't finance them unless the research shows that their is demand for them, otherwise they just don't make sense.  Obviously people make mistakes and build things there is not demand for all the time but my guess JHM is in much better position to determine demand for a new hotels than us.

People don't build big expensive hotels and banks don't finance them unless the research shows that their is demand for them, otherwise they just don't make sense.  Obviously people make mistakes and build things there is not demand for all the time but my guess JHM is in much better position to determine demand for a new hotels than us.

All valid points. I think the question is will this new hotel fulfill the demand or only partially fulfill it. I think they want to be the next one up, instead of Hughes. J h m granted a video interview, so i think they proactively made thi s announcement, not just a reporter calling

J h m granted a video interview, so i think they proactively made thi s announcement, not just a reporter calling

Nothing in the JHM press release archive nor their Twitter feed. If this had been based on a JHM press release, other local media outlets would have picked it up and all the hospitality trade publications would have jumped on it, yet not a single recent word on the subject is to be found outside of the GreenvilleOnline article and interview. Instead, other local media and a few random trade pubs only picked up the Kilwins announcement, which took place the same day as this article appeared. I suspect the Kilwins announcement set the stage for Greenville News staff writer Rudolph Bell to interview D.J. Rama, during which Bell probably asked what other local projects might be in the works. It's just good journalism. All the facts seem to point to that scenario, and there is no evidence whatsoever of any recent press release related to a future hotel.

Uhhhh: http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/greenville-news/New-hotel-coming-to-downtown-Greenville/-/9654794/19286934/-/kl4m8h/-/index.html I personally know the G-News business writer also and I can tell you with 100% certainty JHM went to him and other local news agencies with information about this project not the other way around.

I'm confused as to what the fuss is about... The hotel is in the EARLY planning stages and is still a year or two out. I'm not sure why this is problematic to report.

Welcome to Urbanplanet Greenville sub forum 2013 where everybody complains about the most stupid little things. Notice the difference in the excitement level between the Peacock announcement and this. Sad. Where is the excitement at people? Instead we are on here questioning whether an interview was conducted or not. *facepalm*

Archived