Alamance Crossing

NCgfx

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that Burlington will get upscale stores, unless you consider Target and Dillard's upscale. The fact is, if anything upscale comes to the triad, it would probably come to Greensboro or Winston first. It's nice though, that Burlington is getting some retail that you'd originally have to drive to Greensboro or Durham for.

I doubt that Burlington will get upscale stores, unless you consider Target and Dillard's upscale.  The fact is, if anything upscale comes to the triad, it would probably come to Greensboro or Winston first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... unless they're trying to make it a destination for people from Greensboro and Durham as well as Burlington? People in the Triangle have proven themselves very willing to drive ridiculously long distances on a regular basis, so what's a quick jaunt over to Burlington? If they did it right, it could definitely be a draw...

Consider this though...

Burlington has in the past been know for its shopping. It has faded in the past 20 years, but people still know burlington for that. Also, it sits directly between the Triad and Triangle. There is no way Burlington can support the amount of retail that is proposed by itself (im not just talking about exit 140 developments...there are new strips going up all over town...also a giant new Wal-Mart in east burlington and a Wal-Mart in mebane). I would think that the only way to make 820,000 sq. feet of additional shopping is to find a way to get people to drive from g'boro, w-s, durham and raleigh. Target and Dillards isnt going to do that. Seriously, over 1,000,000 sq. feet on one corner of a new exit that has ample room for a regional shopping destrict.

Not to mention that fact that i know of very few Targets and Dillards that are in a pedestrian mall with a lake. But who knows.

AlamanceRendering-sm.jpg

This is the old site plan...the one that was approved last year. All 85/40 frontage. Half way between the 40/85 splits. 20 min to G'boro. 30 min to Druham. 50 min. to Cary/Raleigh. 50 min. to Winston. 1hr 30min to Charlotte. $$$Elon$$$University$$$(very rich parents) exit.

25,000 residental lots approved in Burlington...including Mackintosh on the Lake ...homes from the $130,000 to >1,000,000. The only wakefield project outside of Charlotte and Raleigh.

Out of curiosity where is the new Wal-Mart going to be in east Burlington? Is it off Church St or I-40 (I figure it has to be 1 or the other if it's E. Burlington). I used to head out to Burlington alot when I lived in Hillsborough, but I rarely get the chance to anymore.

Out of curiosity where is the new Wal-Mart going to be in east Burlington? Is it off Church St or I-40 (I figure it has to be 1 or the other if it's E. Burlington). I used to head out to Burlington alot when I lived in Hillsborough, but I rarely get the chance to anymore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is going to be on Graham-Hopedale Rd....Just off of 70. It is in the Fairchild park-Indians stadium area.

For some reason I developed this theory while watching TV 2nite. This "upscale shopping center" will probably entice the anchors to leave Holly Hill aka Colonial Mall, and maybe 1 more anchor tenant will be drawn in and that's how the project will be "upscale". I've thought for a while that the mall in Burlington, and it's tenants were quite small. I've visited several small malls that for all purposes no longer exist b/c their anchors were drawn to a "strip center", although if many ppl have heard of these malls I'd be suprised...Henderson Mall in Henderson, NC....Belks and JCPenney were lured away when a new strip center opened anchored by a Wal-Mart in the mid '90s leaving the mall anchored only by Roses...also Wilkes Mall in Wilkesboro....once again Belks and JCPenney lured away to a strip center. I'm sure there are other examples of this occuring in NC.

I'll just cross my fingers that this new development will bring in new stores and not simply pull them away from existing centers like so many new retail developments tend to do in smaller cities.

And yes I realize that Burlington is larger then both Wilkesboro and Henderson, but I have a feeling that there is only so much "new retail" it can support b4 it starts hurting older shopping centers..

i SERIOUSLY doubt that there will be any real upscale stores anytime in the next 10 years in burlington. burlington just can't support high-end retailers, elon parents or not. i mean, charlotte is just starting to go upscale, burlington is about 20 years behind greensboro, which in turn is about 20 years behind charlotte. i'm sure it will be a nicely landscaped mall, and it will bring retailers that burlington needs to start catching up with other cities like greensboro and winston-salem, but upscale it will not be.

OK, so it passed the planning board tonight...if i find a server to post with i'll try to draw what I remember from the meeting. The western portion of the property is going to be like southpoint. There is a lake between the western and eastern parts. A main street--half one-way streets with parking and half pedestrian will be on the eastern side of the lake. I pedestrian bridge will cross the lake--from restaurants and shops on the south end to what looks like a movie theater on the north side. I guess they are going to make the whole property the same elevation as the interstate b/c there is going to be a 25ft retaining wall on the north side of the entire property.

This should be very interesting. Still dont have any names of stores.

The site plan looks a lot like this...

Rivers Crossing

Rivers Crossing...Alamance Crossing

CBL and Assoc...CBL and Assoc

25 min fin Cincy...25 min from G'boro-Durham

We already know that a Dillards and Barnes and Noble will be there, other stores are to be announced next week

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is an update on Alamace Crossing.

The Times News is reporting that CBL has purchased 140 acres for $20.8 million. I guess this means construction will start soon. btw, it is also noted that Colonial Mall was purchased for $19 million. The land for Crossing is cost more that the entire Colonial Mall, I'm thinking this guy is going to be big.

According to the article I read, yes.  Along with Dilliards, it looks like it might have a Khols, Circuit City, among other things.  It also seemed to indicate that it might mimic the design of Streets at Southpoint in Durham.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So a SouthPoint with Big-Box stores

I have FINALLY found a rendering of Alamance Crossing.  I doesn't show much, just some store fronts.

Alamance Crossing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you do a print-screen of the rendering or something? PDF files never work on my computer :( thanks

I have FINALLY found a rendering of Alamance Crossing.  I doesn't show much, just some store fronts.

Alamance Crossing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, that's a nice looking rendering.

As for it being big boxed, I've seen some nationwide stores fit quite nicely in the intimacy of a mall setting. A Dillards or a Belk or a JC Penney could be considered "big boxed" if you just looked at the square footage that they take up in any given mall. A mall itself is a huge pile of concrete and steel same as a walmart or a target. What makes the difference is the atmosphere developed that takes it from just steel and concrete to being a place you want to spend your time and money and meet with your friends.

When we moved out here 14 years ago to the Eastern edge of Guilford County, I never imagined the area growing as it has. It felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. Funny how things change.

A Dillards or a Belk or a JC Penney could be considered "big boxed" if you just looked at the square footage that they take up in any given mall.  A mall itself is a huge pile of concrete and steel same as a walmart or a target.  What makes the difference is the atmosphere developed that takes it from just steel and concrete to being a place you want to spend your time and money and meet with your friends. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A good point, ILoveCallingNCHome. There is a diffference between making a place and simply building a store.

• 3 months later...

Archived