Alamance Crossing

NCgfx

I'm not sure about the Wal-Mart move. About a year ago, there was mention in the paper about Sam's Club talking to CBL, for some reason Wal-Mart was mentioned. I am sure that K mart will close before too long, if both stores close on Huffman Mill, it's going to get ugly.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure about the Wal-Mart move. About a year ago, there was mention in the paper about Sam's Club talking to CBL, for some reason Wal-Mart was mentioned. I am sure that K mart will close before too long, if both stores close on Huffman Mill, it's going to get ugly.

Yeah. That's one of the few Super K Centers left in the state

Wal-Mart moving at this point would be just a rumor. They are building one in Mebane that is a super center with a tire center. They built one on Elm Street in Greensboro that is a Super Center with a tire center, and then of course the one over where CCM used to be will be a super center with a tire center. The one in Burlington does not have a tire center and has been there for longer than most Wal-Marts in the area. They cannot build a tire center with that one because of how the land and buildings are laid out from what we've been told. Target and many of the other stores that are opening on University Dr have taken a hit on Walmart's business as one would expect.(sales are down-not by much-but they are indeed down) It seems that with all this, in order to continue to compete, Wal-Mart might would have to build a new store close to all the other stuff. Then again, if Alamance Crossing is going to reach around from Garden Rd to University drive, they may continue to be in a good spot there. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

As for leaving big empty boxes, Wal-Mart isnt the first to do so. K-Mart left an empty box on Maple in Burlington many years ago as they built closer to Wal-Mart. It became something...though at the moment not sure if it is still occupied. Right now, on S Church, Winn Dixie has left a big box, that will sometime be occupied by a Harris Teeter that will move there from right across the street. I assume that too will leave yet another big box open. Before it was a Winn Dixie, there was a Roses there-that left. The Lowes that is on the Corner of Huffman Mill and S Church moved there from where Tractor Supply is. This kind of thing happens all the time. Currently over near CCM there is a big box that K-Mart left vacant. Wal-Mart isnt the only one that leaves big boxes behind-if anything...they are just following a trend that is precedented before them...and responding to people's shopping habits that usually shows that folks want to go to the new places more than the older areas. (IE: Going to Targets that are brand new as opposed to Wal-Mart on Garden Rd) Something will always find a use for land and buildings. It may take 20 years for the transition, but it does come around again.

It was my understanding that prime outlets bought Burlington Square Mall. If that is the case, and if it becomes the new outlet area of Burlington-it will not leave the mall empty-but the current outlet areas down off Maple. The outlet mall of the past (off Chapel Hill Rd)is now occupied by JRs, and Burlington Coat Factory occupies what was another part of an outlet mall many years ago.

The main thing is that this area is growing by leaps and bounds. Land near here is in demand for both housing as well as retail. After all these years of nothing...and all the years of expansions in every direction in Guilford Co besides East-it is interesting and exciting to see some activity in this area. I see it more as a transition time than a time of big box abandonment.

Goodness, I remember a Cooks and Kings both being very active-but now unheard of. Where Kings was, now sits a Food Lion. Where K-Mart was on Market St now sits a Janets Craft Mart and a Ceci's pizza.

So walmart leaves where it is now-isnt that part of the "game"....I am sure that the decision isnt made lightly...and approval for such new buildings is not given easily. No, I do not like seeing big boxes left, but I know that it is part of it all-and someday they will be something new. I do not like seeing farmland taken again and again-but as this state grows, so grows the demand for housing and places to shop.

• 1 month later...

Burlington's office market hasn't matured enough to warrant that kind of activity.

This is a little out of thread. I find it interesting that LabCorp has managed to use all available office space in downtown Burlington and then some. Burlington's downtown is extremely fortunate LabCorp doesn't pick up and consolidate its office space into a campus or large office park. I wonder how large such a building(s) would be if they did so?

This is a little out of thread. I find it interesting that LabCorp has managed to use all available office space in downtown Burlington and then some. Burlington's downtown is extremely fortunate LabCorp doesn't pick up and consolidate its office space into a campus or large office park. I wonder how large such a building(s) would be if they did so?

They are not the only business located downtown, in offices etc-but do take up a lot of space there indeed. As you suggest, Lab Corp also exists throughout Burlington in different buidings throughout the city. It really is interesting they are not under one roof. I wonder if it is cost cutting, or security reasons or just how they grew so far...

Talking though of office buildings, I noticed there was a for lease sign on the big westpoint stevens building on the highway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The BS Mall corridor, IMO... is really the center of west Burlington and is on a very heavily traveled corridor in town. Also, BS and AC are only probably 1 mile from each other. Thus, even if BS's days as a mall are coming to an end, the property is "Prime" (no pun intended) for redevelopment. Hopefully we won't be disappointed. I would like to see K-Mart demolished and International Drive which runs on the west side of BS connected to Boone Station Drive. That way, AC's main thoroughfare would run from U Drive at U Commons to S Church Street at BS Mall.

• 2 weeks later...

cantnot, I had a chance to speak to the Store Manager of Sears. I asked him whazt he thought about the other tenants, what he had to say was very interesting... He has been told by corparate that after Belks leaves (close to when their lease runs out) they will move to the current K-Mart location and open a new store. Probably a Grand or Essentials store.

Archived