Alamance Crossing

NCgfx

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBL's Alamance Crossing website shows a new projected size.... 660,000 sq ft? This is about 180K sq ft smaller than the original proposal. Is this quote just the size of "Part 1" of the development? Have developers decided to downgrade the project? Anyone know? :huh:

• 1 month later...

Well... I did a bit more snooping and found out that the following retailers will be coming to AC, as well! :shades:

Phase I (2 months and counting!)

Hollister

Jungle Fun

Red Bowl Asian Bistro - this restaurant was at Southpoint Mall, but I think the Cheesecake Factory is in it's space now.

Charlotte Russe

2 other restaurants and many more retailers

Phase II (Completion ~late 2008/early 2009)

Kohl's

Lifeway Christian and Retail

Texas Roadhouse

3 more additional "casual dining" restaurants

Hotel

Bank

"Travel Plaza" (Sheetz or Pilot, etc?)

I like that idea - convert Burlington Square into a miniature "Mills" type mall. Or... convert BMOC into an outdoor "Mills" mall and raze BSM to make way for residential/retail.

Hopefully Burlington Square Mall will replace Foot Locker with Champs or a similar shoe retailer. I really hate to see that mall deteriorate. I'd rather see a mall with this mix of tenants built from scratch at the Burlington Square mall site.

• 1 month later...

Here is a new update on Alamance Crossing. All of the main entrance signs have been put up with only the Dillards and Belks logos up for now. The new St Marks Church Rd alignment is near completion. Most of the sidewalks are nearing completion. Most of the stores appear ready to open. All stop lights for the center have been installed. The main road through the development will be Boone Station Dr, making it an extenstion of the already existing road. It appears they are about to fill the project's signature lake. I 40/85 exit 140 modifications are almost complete. The intersection of Univerity Dr and Boone Station Dr (The main entrance to Alamance Crossing) reminds me of Wendover Av around Stanley Rd and Bridford Pkwy only with more trees. Hopefully I can get past the security they have at the entrances and take some pictures prior to the grand opening on August 1.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove through it today. A couple of places are open now (though the grand opening officially is on Wednesday). We only went into the JC Penneys today. There are still areas blocked off to traffic and a lot more to be built and done-but so far it looks nice. I like the layout of the buildings. IMO it has more of a Friendly Center feel than a mall feel in that you drive up to most everything individually and park. You can walk around outside on walks and paths too. If no one else posts some pictures soon, I'll try to remember to take my camera and get a few while out and about one day.

Thanks for the photos! It does look a lot like Friendly Center. I wish they had kept some of the original trees. I hate to see such huge areas clear cut like that, but at least they made somewhat of an effort to plant some new trees. It will probably be a mad house tomorrow.

I think these lifestyle center are going to make indoor malls somewhat obsolete. Greensboro has two Village at North Elm, Shops at Friendly and another one planned across the street from Lowes and Walmart adjacent to the loop in southeast Greensboro. I think this new lifestyle center in Burlington will compete head to head with their enclosed mall. Allamance Crossing has already lured away some big anchors

I wouldn't say that the two malls compete. Its more like a slaugter fest :o. The only good tenants Alamance Crossing hasn't taken is Abercrombie & Fitch, and American Eagle. Sears will remain the last one standing for a short while. Its a shame though, to be so small, Burlington Square (a mall constructed in the late 1960's) was actually a decent mall with a decent tenant mix. Growing up everyone wished it would be torned down and replaced with a much larger one. I feel Burlington Square can be saved through expansion and re-invention but it would take the right person to come in and save the mall. Someone like the developer of North Hills mall in Raleigh.

This project can't decide if it's a lifestyle center or a strip mall. On one hand you have the "Dillard's side" that fits the definitions of a lifestyle center - it's compact and walkable. On the other side of the vast sea of asphalt you have the Belk and JCPenney. They're in the same shopping center by definition only. Nobody is going to walk down the little "street" between Dillard's and Barnes and Noble and then over to Belk. They really could have designed this better.

I drove through yesterday before going into work. It's quite disappointing to see it in person. I was expecting something different, but as cantnot said, it's just like all the other lifestyle centers. Blah. This is still good for Burlington, but it didn't live up to my expectations.

Archived