Long time reader; first time poster with a question

KeithTenn

Can anyone tell me what is going on in the area just across Charlotte Avenue from ElevenNorth?  The whole area where Hansen Chysler, the old green Chinese market and Korean restaurant were, Capitol View Pawn, Metamorphosis, etc... That whole area except for Porter Paints and Nashville Glass - everything has been torn down and pulverized or is being pulverized into pieces by demolition crews.     Any idea what is going to happen to this area?    Sorry if it's been mentioned here and I just haven't seen it.   Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

One of the future retailers is Publix. I confirmed it with a Publix Manager I know. He told me last week. He may have told me something they don't want out yet, but now it is. Publix to the North Gulch. There is a possibility we get two. One in the North Gulch, and one on the Music Roundabout.

One of the future retailers is Publix. I confirmed it with a Publix Manager I know. He told me last week. He may have told me something they don't want out yet, but now it is. Publix to the North Gulch. There is a possibility we get two. One in the North Gulch, and one on the Music Roundabout.

That's great news, but weren't the plans for the Publix on the roundabout withdrawn?

Also, welcome to UP KeithTenn!

Welcome to the forum, Keith! 

Glad to hear that Publix is going to be a part of that development.  I just hope that they are willing to follow our urban design guidelines.  They refused to do as much in Chattanooga with their North Shore/Frazier Ave. store.

Good to hear about the Publix for the Northwestern Mutual site. The Music Row proposal is probably dead in the water then. I think a Publix in the North Gulch and one on Demonbreun would be overkill at this time. I know some grocers like to saturate a market, but two urban Publix within a mile radius would probably cannibalize each other. That said, I think another Publix further south on either on 21st or 8th would make a killing.

Can anyone tell me what is going on in the area just across Charlotte Avenue from ElevenNorth?  The whole area where Hansen Chysler, the old green Chinese market and Korean restaurant were, Capitol View Pawn, Metamorphosis, etc... That whole area except for Porter Paints and Nashville Glass - everything has been torn down and pulverized or is being pulverized into pieces by demolition crews.     Any idea what is going to happen to this area?    Sorry if it's been mentioned here and I just haven't seen it.   Thanks!

Welcome!  No problem.  We UP folks, in the Nashville thread at least, are pretty easy-going, reasonable people.  Unless you call us shrills then we might have a problem!  :P Don't worry about asking questions.  We've all been there!

I really think a better location for Publix is at the roundabout. I'm probably a little biased as that would put a Publix within walking distance of me, but I really think it would do bett there. The North Gulch site is getting fairly close to the Germantown Kroger, and the residential areas around the roundabout don't have any grocery stores closer than the Germantown Kroger and the Harris Teeter on Blair and 21st. Neither of those are within walking distance. Putting a Publix at the roundabout would have a grocery store within walking distance or a very short drive of a very large number of people: all of the Gulch, downtown, Sobro, Edgehill Village area, the midtown condos around the Adelicia, Note 16, the planned apartments for the buckingham development, the planned apartments on 17th, Rhythm, and the new apartments at 12th and demonbreun. For many of these places the North Gulch Publix isn't going to be any closer than the Harris Teeter is now, so I think they're going to miss an opportunity.

Unless that parcel is in an Urban Design Overlay or unless there is a Specific Plan that requires an urban set-up for the Publix, then I would almost absolutely guarantee that Publix would follow a more suburban model in their layout.  Maybe not as bad as the Brentwood Creekside Crossing Publix, but still. 

I would say that if we are lucky, that the Publix would be set up sort of like the Hill Center location, except that instead of fake city streets, they might use the actual city streets.  I wouldn't look for it to be on Charlotte or all that acessible via public transportation without walking a good ways.

Welcome to the forum, Keith! 

Glad to hear that Publix is going to be a part of that development.  I just hope that they are willing to follow our urban design guidelines.  They refused to do as much in Chattanooga with their North Shore/Frazier Ave. store.

Archived