Jump to content

Durham City Center Tower


RALNATIVE

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Durham_Transplant said:

It’s an impressive looking building. Will be interesting to see whether the next phase is a hotel as alluded to in the brownfield filing or something else. Obviously they already have a hotel in the middle of downtown so would be well positioned to judge the opportunity.

So now we have the South Bank project, next phase of Durham ID and and ATC West all solidly underway. Wonder when we will see renderings for the Northgate project. They’ve already filed plans with the city for the preliminary site layout….

I don't understand what they meant by the different phases.  It looks like one building.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't understand what they meant by the different phases.  It looks like one building.   

I guess we won’t have much detail until they make a formal announcement next year but this image definitely shows a second building lightly shaded in on the other side of the tower. Maybe slightly taller than half the height?

0FC7137B-5BBE-4C22-B419-F9ACD8A8B60F.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Durham_Transplant said:

I guess we won’t have much detail until they make a formal announcement next year but this image definitely shows a second building lightly shaded in on the other side of the tower. Maybe slightly taller than half the height?

0FC7137B-5BBE-4C22-B419-F9ACD8A8B60F.jpeg


Thanks.  You’re correct.  I kept thinking that this site was way too big for one tower.

A hotel would be great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m shocked that Durham is selling multi-million dollar downtown condos, and yet the state’s metropolis, Charlotte, hasn’t built any downtown condos in over ten years.  Hopefully, that will change.

Anyway, I’m very pleased with this amazing addition to Durham.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/durham-county-news/million-dollar-condos-among-more-than-1000-housing-units-under-construction-in-downtown-durham/amp/

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m shocked that Durham is selling multi-million dollar downtown condos, and yet the state’s metropolis, Charlotte, hasn’t built any downtown condos in over ten years.  Hopefully, that will change.

Anyway, I’m very pleased with this amazing addition to Durham.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/durham-county-news/million-dollar-condos-among-more-than-1000-housing-units-under-construction-in-downtown-durham/amp/

Well before COVID the Nash would have been a 20 story condo tower in downtown Raleigh. The project has since been rezoned to 40 stories however the scope of the project (office/apartments/hotel/condo) has not be mentioned. There's been two condo projects in DTR since 2008. Fairweather only has the penthouse left to be sold and the under construction Peace Street condos has pre-sold 70% of their units. I'm sure if there is demand there will be a new condo tower in Charlotte soon. 

Edited by carolina1792
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Durham is also much different from Charlotte or even Raleigh in that the downtown area had been neglected for so long that developers can freely choose where they want to put projects on land that can be acquired fairly cheaply (until recently at least). The site for the ATC expansion was a car dealership on 11 acres of prime real estate as were several of the other sites that have now seen large scale development along 147. The One City Center site was a vacant lot and obviously this tower is replacing a terribly aged mid-rise office building. Elsewhere in downtown major developments are going on empty sites, replacing an auto repair shop and a plumbing business. The sheer amount of available property is just crazy, although with the absolute boom the last few years most have been snapped up by now.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

Durham is also much different from Charlotte or even Raleigh in that the downtown area had been neglected for so long that developers can freely choose where they want to put projects on land that can be acquired fairly cheaply (until recently at least). The site for the ATC expansion was a car dealership on 11 acres of prime real estate as were several of the other sites that have now seen large scale development along 147. The One City Center site was a vacant lot and obviously this tower is replacing a terribly aged mid-rise office building. Elsewhere in downtown major developments are going on empty sites, replacing an auto repair shop and a plumbing business. The sheer amount of available property is just crazy, although with the absolute boom the last few years most have been snapped up by now.

 

Let's not forget that a lot of that "available property" is because the City of Durham at one point went a bit insane and started to declare "urban blight" and tear down a bunch of pretty cool buildings.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Austin Lawrence is very committed to Durham.  Apparently, the CEO is a Duke alum.  Hopefully, they have more in the pipeline after this.  A few 27-30 fl towers in the Bull City would look great.

Also the reason why Google chose downtown Durham for their NC location. The lead is a Duke grad. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.