The "Orlando" Look & Identity

It seems over the past few weeks, reference to an ambiguous idea of an Orlando look & identity has come up in conversation. What exactly is this Orlando "look?"

As Orlando continues to grow and come into its own, how would you describe the current feel of Orlando and where would you like for it to go? Opportunity awaits the right planners to create an identity for the city of Orlando through its architectural appearance and urban planning.

I think each of us has an idea of where we'd like to see the city head in terms of creating a unique sense of place--- share your thoughts here:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know u opposed this..since we are theme park capital of the world and visitor center of the USA.... I think Orlando should be modern, sleek, clean and cutting age...

If i have to pick a city to model after...it will be Singapore with tons of manmade beauty in downtown. We already labeled as disney world....might as well embrace it....same as Vegas embraced themselves as adult playground...show people how fake we can be...

As someone that grew up in Orlando, my initial reaction to this question is the following:

Orlando is...

Less neon and more natural materials

More Post-Modern than Art Deco

Muted pastels over flourescent colors

Residentially it is where Orlando really shows it's traditional roots especially in the neighborhoods downtown.

Think Spanish Revival, Craftsman, Florida Bungalos, Cape Cods, Tudor, and the generic Florida Stucco home. 

While not all of this is unique to Orlando, the particular blend is what makes it unique to Orlando

Orlando, in my mind has always been the more traditionally " Middle American" of Florida's major cities.

Feel free to agree/disagree.

I'm not opposed to sleek and modern at all. Whereas signature buildings should strive to be unique and not a "replica" of one found elsewhere.

One idea I have in mind for Orlando is to push forward with green walls and vertical gardens. Downtown remains to be very "green" viewed above the treeline. I think by introducing vertical gardens, green roofs and terraces to our architecture, it can become a very "Orlando" signature not particularly found elsewhere in the nation. This concept combined with modern glass buildings with organic form could be the signature of "The City Beautiful."

I know u opposed this..since we are theme park capital of the world and visitor center of the USA.... I think Orlando should be modern, sleek, clean and cutting age...

If i have to pick a city to model after...it will be Singapore with tons of manmade beauty in downtown. We already labeled as disney world....might as well embrace it....same as Vegas embraced themselves as adult playground...show people how fake we can be...

Archived