Westbank Expressway

richyb83

I'd like to see a map of this proposal....

Proposal connects BR to N.O.

Opinions vary among local and state officials whether or not a proposed “West Bank Connector” can get off the ground this legislative session.

Wilfred Barry, president of the SJB Group, a Baton Rouge design firm, is working with six parishes on a plan that would bring an “interstate-quality” highway connecting Port Allen with New Orleans on the west side of the Mississippi River.

The $1.656 billion project would run through West Baton Rouge, Iberville, Ascension, St. James, St. Charles and St. John the Baptist parishes, connecting Interstate 10 west of Baton Rouge with I-310 north of New Orleans.

It also would include the construction of a new Mississippi River bridge in Iberville Parish between Plaquemine and White Castle on the west bank and just south of Baton Rouge on the east bank.

While many parish and municipal officials and state legislators are supportive of the concept of a west bank connection between Baton Rouge and New Orleans that can serve as an alternative route to I-10, they also have concerns about whether it’s a feasible project, especially considering its price tag.

*rest of article

http://theadvocate.com/home/5428126-125/proposal-connects-br-to-no

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$300 million dollar commuter rail line upgrading existing rail infrastructure... deemed too expensive...

$1.6 billion dollar highway... considered a good idea....

Interesting a enough, I received a call from a friend in Dallas who was flying into BTR because flights into MSY this weekend were overpriced or booked, he asked if there was a train from BTR to MSY, I had to say no and suggested taking LASWIFT.

$300 million dollar commuter rail line upgrading existing rail infrastructure... deemed too expensive...

$1.6 billion dollar highway... considered a good idea....

Interesting a enough, I received a call from a friend in Dallas who was flying into BTR because flights into MSY this weekend were overpriced or booked, he asked if there was a train from BTR to MSY, I had to say no and suggested taking LASWIFT.

To be fair, a commuter rail line would cost at least 1 billion if done correctly. I've always liked the idea of a Westbank Expressway but always knew a properly built rail would provide much more economic impact for both cities.

If it is built I wonder how I-310, the Expressway, and I-49 will connect at I-310.

Rail will come. The idea is planted. As Baton Rouge and New Orleans upgrade their city transit (CATS does not count as a genuine or smart effort), passenger rail lines between the two cities are going to be demanded by the general population.

The West Bank connector would be great for industrial development. Natural gas prices are so low....it's going to happen. The connector would really help fuel that.

I meant to make this thread a while ago so thank you.

It's an interesting concept to me. It would give a viable alternative to I10. I wonder how this would impact I-49 south. It would almost make it pointless. The other thing is I wonder what type of relief it would really give. Majority of the traffic at the 10/12 split takes 12. 

It wouldn't help traffic through Baton Rouge taking 12. The northern loop would provide that alternative. I could see how this may help with traffic along I-10 though- especially during hurricane evacuations. I'd like to see more details as they flush out in the future.

The west side has had some traffic problems and very heavy truck traffic over the years, and there is a tremendous amount of industrial employment there and thousands of people live on the east side and commute to the plants on the west side every day (and vice versa) especially in Baton Rouge and Ascension. This would help alleviate some of the I-10 bridge traffic if the route is well thought out. I've always thought a bridge somewhere between Brusly and Plaquimine would really help out traffic in both areas and potentially reduce truck and hazardous material transport through Baton Rouge.

The proposed new bridge isn't far from where I'd place it to be honest. Highway 30 would have to be widened on the Baton Rouge side all the way out to Gonzales, but considering the residential and industrial expansion taking place in the area, that would have needed to happen anyways.

Also from an economic development standpoint, it helps market the river between the two metros for industrial expansions and new business that need access to the gulf....and that is exactly where that kind of development should go, IMO.

• 1 year later...

Noting imminent yet...but this will eventually happen(if the loop won't)...they know there is no other choice! If the new Bridge has a Toll...then so be it...the argument could be made this new bridge was needed before the Audubon Bridge to the north....

Nicholson(Hwy 30) can be upgraded(or build the major road paralleling to it) to connect with the Westbank Expressway........

New bridge backers seek traction...West bank transportation proposal faces obstacles

An ambitious transportation study plan is winding through the Louisiana Legislature: whether a new bridge across the Mississippi River near Baton Rouge is feasible despite financing questions and other obstacles.

The proposal, known as the West Bank Connector, is the subject of legislation calling for a review of the idea by the state Department of Transportation and Development.

The measure, House Concurrent Resolution 100, has breezed through the state House and Senate without dissent. In addition, $1.65 million to finance the assessment is in the House-passed capital improvements bill, which is awaiting Senate action. However, the complex rules of how a feasibility study is financed, aside from other hurdles, mean nothing is imminent.

“We could possibly start the study in August 2015,” said Sherri LeBas, secretary of the state Department of Transportation and Development.

The idea of a new bridge and upgrades to roads on the west bank of the Mississippi River has been tossed around for decades.

The latest proposal, which carries a price tag of $1.65 billion, includes a new bridge that would connect La. 1 and La. 30.

Possible connecting sites on the west bank include spots between Brusly and Addis, south of Addis, and south of Plaquemine but north of St. Gabriel....A four-lane highway between Interstate 10 near Port Allen and I-310 just west of New Orleans is part of the plan, too.

House Transportation Committee Chairwoman Karen St. Germain, D-Pierre Part, sponsor of the resolution, said the bridge and highway overhaul would carry economic and other benefits.

A new bridge, which would cost around $800 million, would reduce traffic on the Interstate 10 bridge in Baton Rouge that is the site of daily backups and congestion that often extends through Baton Rouge on I-10, Interstate 12 and Interstate 110.

St. Germain said the growth of industrial plants like Dow, Shintech and others has made traffic woes worse. “The problem comes from the new additions to the plants and all the employees that have to cross the river,” she said. “They can get to the plant OK, but going home takes them from an hour to an hour and a half, and that is a good day,” If this was open, it would be 20 minutes to where they live,” she said. Plant officials have quit because of commuting problems.

LeBas said the need for a new bridge is evident. “I believe that a new crossing over the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge and the Sunshine Bridge is needed, and I believe it would relieve the traffic along the I-10 crossing in the Baton Rouge area,” she said. But, like any mega road and bridge proposal, how to pay for it overshadows any discussion of the proposal. “It would be a ways off, definitely,” LeBas said. “There are a number of steps.”

Louisiana already faces a $12 billion backlog of road and bridge needs, not including proposals like the West Bank Connector and an equally ambitious plan to launch a toll road around Baton Rouge that would connect interstates 10, 12 and 110 and U.S. 61 and U.S. 190. Cost estimates for that plan range from $700 million to $1 billion.

In the Legislature, efforts to boost funding for highways have died for years. Federal highway aid, which often supplies 90 percent of the costs, is so uncertain that states are unsure about future funding.

Backers of the West Bank Connector emphasize that it is separate from efforts to build a loop around Baton Rouge.

However, loop backers may see the plan as another threat to the loop, which is already beset by financing and other problems. LeBas said it is premature to talk about how a new bridge and road improvements would be financed.

St. Germain cited tolls. “It is the only way we could build a bridge,” she said.

The idea of a new bridge and four-lane highway between I-310 and Port Allen has been trumpeted as an economic development tool by officials in the six most affected parishes — West Baton Rouge, Iberville, Ascension, St. James, St. Charles and St. John the Baptist.

“There is nobody that I have spoken to that is not on board,” St. Germain said.

http://theadvocate.com/home/9254892-125/new-bridge-backers-seek-traction

Noting imminent yet...but this will eventually happen(if the loop won't)...they know there is no other choice! If the new Bridge has a Toll...then so be it...the argument could be made this new bridge was needed before the Audubon Bridge to the north....

Nicholson(Hwy 30) can be upgraded(or build the major road paralleling to it) to connect with the Westbank Expressway........

New bridge backers seek traction...West bank transportation proposal faces obstacles

An ambitious transportation study plan is winding through the Louisiana Legislature: whether a new bridge across the Mississippi River near Baton Rouge is feasible despite financing questions and other obstacles.

The proposal, known as the West Bank Connector, is the subject of legislation calling for a review of the idea by the state Department of Transportation and Development.

The measure, House Concurrent Resolution 100, has breezed through the state House and Senate without dissent. In addition, $1.65 million to finance the assessment is in the House-passed capital improvements bill, which is awaiting Senate action. However, the complex rules of how a feasibility study is financed, aside from other hurdles, mean nothing is imminent.

“We could possibly start the study in August 2015,” said Sherri LeBas, secretary of the state Department of Transportation and Development.

The idea of a new bridge and upgrades to roads on the west bank of the Mississippi River has been tossed around for decades.

The latest proposal, which carries a price tag of $1.65 billion, includes a new bridge that would connect La. 1 and La. 30.

Possible connecting sites on the west bank include spots between Brusly and Addis, south of Addis, and south of Plaquemine but north of St. Gabriel....A four-lane highway between Interstate 10 near Port Allen and I-310 just west of New Orleans is part of the plan, too.

House Transportation Committee Chairwoman Karen St. Germain, D-Pierre Part, sponsor of the resolution, said the bridge and highway overhaul would carry economic and other benefits.

A new bridge, which would cost around $800 million, would reduce traffic on the Interstate 10 bridge in Baton Rouge that is the site of daily backups and congestion that often extends through Baton Rouge on I-10, Interstate 12 and Interstate 110.

St. Germain said the growth of industrial plants like Dow, Shintech and others has made traffic woes worse. “The problem comes from the new additions to the plants and all the employees that have to cross the river,” she said. “They can get to the plant OK, but going home takes them from an hour to an hour and a half, and that is a good day,” If this was open, it would be 20 minutes to where they live,” she said. Plant officials have quit because of commuting problems.

LeBas said the need for a new bridge is evident. “I believe that a new crossing over the Mississippi River between Baton Rouge and the Sunshine Bridge is needed, and I believe it would relieve the traffic along the I-10 crossing in the Baton Rouge area,” she said. But, like any mega road and bridge proposal, how to pay for it overshadows any discussion of the proposal. “It would be a ways off, definitely,” LeBas said. “There are a number of steps.”

Louisiana already faces a $12 billion backlog of road and bridge needs, not including proposals like the West Bank Connector and an equally ambitious plan to launch a toll road around Baton Rouge that would connect interstates 10, 12 and 110 and U.S. 61 and U.S. 190. Cost estimates for that plan range from $700 million to $1 billion.

In the Legislature, efforts to boost funding for highways have died for years. Federal highway aid, which often supplies 90 percent of the costs, is so uncertain that states are unsure about future funding.

Backers of the West Bank Connector emphasize that it is separate from efforts to build a loop around Baton Rouge.

However, loop backers may see the plan as another threat to the loop, which is already beset by financing and other problems. LeBas said it is premature to talk about how a new bridge and road improvements would be financed.

St. Germain cited tolls. “It is the only way we could build a bridge,” she said.

The idea of a new bridge and four-lane highway between I-310 and Port Allen has been trumpeted as an economic development tool by officials in the six most affected parishes — West Baton Rouge, Iberville, Ascension, St. James, St. Charles and St. John the Baptist.

“There is nobody that I have spoken to that is not on board,” St. Germain said.

http://theadvocate.com/home/9254892-125/new-bridge-backers-seek-traction

I would like to see an ultra modern bridge if they are going to do this, the industrial look the bridges have now is rather outdated. I would prefer an arched bridge, I think those are the most beautiful. 

I would like to see an ultra modern bridge if they are going to do this, the industrial look the bridges have now is rather outdated. I would prefer an arched bridge, I think those are the most beautiful.

I'm no expert but thanks to the hurricane threat I doubt we will see a arched bridge.

If we see a new bridge at all, I'm expecting a cable-stay bridge like the New Roads Audubon Bridge or the I-310 Destrehan Bridge. 

If there is no direct connection to I-10 via a freeway, we will have a different set of traffic concerns in the growing area between LSU and St. Gabriel. Also, a four lane highway just isn't going to cut it. Interstate 110 is 6 lanes, built in the 60s and they are satisfied with 4 lanes?

Infrastructure just isn't Louisiana's thing.

I'm no expert but thanks to the hurricane threat I doubt we will see a arched bridge.

Did not think of that...although wouldn't it depend on construction? I actually think Arched bridges are stronger then conventional ones...I'll do some research on it. 

If we see a new bridge at all, I'm expecting a cable-stay bridge like the New Roads Audubon Bridge or the I-310 Destrehan Bridge. 

I have family that lives in Houma, when getting back to the city we passed a beautiful cable bridge which at it's peak you could see the New Orleans skyline. Does anyone know what bridge it is? It would be cool to see something similar in Baton Rouge. 

If there is no direct connection to I-10 via a freeway, we will have a different set of traffic concerns in the growing area between LSU and St. Gabriel. Also, a four lane highway just isn't going to cut it. Interstate 110 is 6 lanes, built in the 60s and they are satisfied with 4 lanes?

Infrastructure just isn't Louisiana's thing.

It really isn't. What's strange is that you guys pay a lot of taxes, where does all that money go? It seems like with all that money pouring in the state could spend money improving infrastructure. I was driving down 110 today and realized that there is enough room to give it 8 lanes (it looked like they were doing that in Livingston). If they decide to do this project it should have 8 lanes or more, nothing less. 

Did not think of that...although wouldn't it depend on construction? I actually think Arched bridges are stronger then conventional ones...I'll do some research on it. 

I have family that lives in Houma, when getting back to the city we passed a beautiful cable bridge which at it's peak you could see the New Orleans skyline. Does anyone know what bridge it is? It would be cool to see something similar in Baton Rouge. 

That was the Luling bridge.

It really isn't. What's strange is that you guys pay a lot of taxes, where does all that money go? It seems like with all that money pouring in the state could spend money improving infrastructure. I was driving down 110 today and realized that there is enough room to give it 8 lanes (it looked like they were doing that in Livingston). If they decide to do this project it should have 8 lanes or more, nothing less. 

Good 'ol boys keep it through the cracks of corruption and greed. If the oil and energy industry had to pay taxes, we'd be in a better position. Especially the fact that their business deteriorates our infrastructure more quickly.

It won't, if constructed, it would probably be 4 or 6 lanes and completed in 2030.

The most important thing if they make it a 4 or 6 laned freeway to to at least acquire up front the right of way to make it a 10 lane freeway. Later on when expansion is needed it will make that part of the process much easier. I hope they make the bridge 10 lanes to future proof the thing. They don't have to stripe all of it but at least it would be ready.

Archived