Westbank Expressway

richyb83

The most important thing if they make it a 4 or 6 laned freeway to to at least acquire up front the right of way to make it a 10 lane freeway. Later on when expansion is needed it will make that part of the process much easier. I hope they make the bridge 10 lanes to future proof the thing. They don't have to stripe all of it but at least it would be ready.

They didn't do it along I-10 so I have little faith, but we shall wait and see.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They didn't do it along I-10 so I have little faith, but we shall wait and see.

I10 was put in 60+ years ago (if I recall correctly) so I doubt they had foresight to realize that one day the average household would have both spouses commuting to work and living 30 miles from the city center. Things have changed drastically since I10 was built. With that said, this is Louisiana. Whatever is half butt backwards and makes zero sense and is behind by 20 years when completed is what will happen.

I10 was put in 60+ years ago (if I recall correctly) so I doubt they had foresight to realize that one day the average household would have both spouses commuting to work and living 30 miles from the city center. Things have changed drastically since I10 was built. With that said, this is Louisiana. Whatever is half butt backwards and makes zero sense and is behind by 20 years when completed is what will happen.

I'm talking about the new I-10 :thumbsup: . The entire project only made I-10 a bit less embarrassing.

That's why I fully expect that if the freeway is built, it will be a clogged 4-lane nightmare.

When I-110 was built, most of Baton Rouge's population was located north of Florida Boulevard. I guess they were expecting development to continue moving primarily in the direction of Baker--BR's first true suburb. 

I wonder if Baker could be 'absorbed', if growth continues and starts again in the North?

"Absorbed"? are you trying to say annexed?

Not necessarily, simply Baton Rouge's growth eventually surrounds and infects Baker. Who knows maybe the city could annex baker if something like that happened. It seems to me that Baker is relatively small and if North Baton Rouge grew more could be threatened by a possible annexation. 

If Baton Rouge keeps going in the direction it is, I'm sure the Zachary/Baker area will grow, it's much closer to downtown and Mid-City compared to Prairieville and Gonzales. Or the Westbank Expressway will encourage the growth in WBR and Iberville Parishes and Baker suffers.

Looking at all of this growth it seems that Baton Rouge really could become Louisiana's major city. Sure New Orleans will always be the tourist destination I can see Baton Rouge gather clout as an economic and industrial center for the state.

Then again it depends on whether your lawmakers and the powers that be are willing to make an effort in fixing infrastructure and education...in those regards the future is not too bright  :ermm:

• 1 month later...

Looking at all of this growth it seems that Baton Rouge really could become Louisiana's major city. Sure New Orleans will always be the tourist destination I can see Baton Rouge gather clout as an economic and industrial center for the state.

Then again it depends on whether your lawmakers and the powers that be are willing to make an effort in fixing infrastructure and education...in those regards the future is not too bright  :ermm:

I can't say I disagree there at all. I could potentially see Baton Rouge becoming larger than New Orleans but it will never really feel like it.

West Side Expressway, new bridge, gaining traction

Traction is starting to build for a proposed new four-lane highway on the west side of the Mississippi and a new bridge across the river, but the speed bump on the plans may be the estimated price tag: $1.65 billion.

Talk of the new West Side Expressway and bridge began in earnest about five years ago, but the state Legislature only this year approved $1.65 million for a feasibility study of the proposed expressway, which would begin at Interstate 10 west of Port Allen and run to La. 1 south of Plaquemine.

A new Mississippi River bridge that’s part of the project would go from the west bank, between Plaquemine and White Castle, to the east bank, south of Baton Rouge.

Two parishes, Ascension and Iberville, are poised to provide funds for the study, as well.

http://theadvocate.com/home/9816415-125/west-side-expressway-new-bridge

Thanks for posting Antrell :thumbsup: meant to do this earlier

This Westbank Expressway is the best bet & help with Hurricane Evacuation route....Since a loop is highly doubtful. A new Mississippi River Bridge for Hwy 30 would be nice and should help in the long run...but still think it's too far south of BR below Plaquemine.

The proposed Livingston/Ascension Parkway will also be a nice complimentary project....(alternative for SE Leg of loop)

Thanks for posting Antrell :thumbsup: meant to do this earlier

This Westbank Expressway is the best bet & help with Hurricane Evacuation route....Since a loop is highly doubtful. A new Mississippi River Bridge for Hwy 30 would be nice and should help in the long run...but still think it's too far south of BR below Plaquemine.

The proposed Livingston/Ascension Parkway will also be a nice complimentary project....(alternative for SE Leg of loop)

It still would be helpful. Heck it would bring some much needed attention to that area. 

If we see a new bridge at all, I'm expecting a cable-stay bridge like the New Roads Audubon Bridge or the I-310 Destrehan Bridge.

That's the cheapest way to build them now.

I think the West Bank expressway as a whole is a great project, but only part of the solution in the Capitol city.

Archived