Save The Cordell Hull and The Ben West

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I saw that story. I'm happy that people are starting to pay attention.

Another story at 10 mentioned that L&C's owner is suing the state because the state is trying to get out of its lease. They called the state's "T3" initiative a "shell game" to get out of leases they didn't want.

The more that comes out, the more I question this "consulting." I have a feeling that this whole ordeal is going to actually cost the state money (because of how it is being done -- controversially) rather than save money like it is supposedly intended to do. 

^That's really stretching it to say it has much to do with Haslam, let alone a "scandal" (see anything that's happened in DC lately ?). I don't favor the Hull's demolition, but touring the building with two state reps (Odom & Jones), both of whom couldn't find their butts with both hands, is not exactly engendering much faith in stopping this.

^That's really stretching it to say it has much to do with Haslam, let alone a "scandal" (see anything that's happened in DC lately ?). I don't favor the Hull's demolition, but touring the building with two state reps (Odom & Jones), both of whom couldn't find their butts with both hands, is not exactly engendering much faith in stopping this.

I don't think it's a stretch that Haslam could have a scandal on his hands. How much he's involved in it is another matter...but I think at the very least he is taking bad advice from Jones Lange LaSalle. His administration basically granted them full control over state facilities. I'm not going to throw any accusations at Haslam himself, but I am starting to question the wisdom of the consulting he and his administration are receiving. And whether or not it is deserved, if something bad comes to light about this, the blame will not fall on JLL, but on Haslam and his administration. 

I don't think it's a stretch that Haslam could have a scandal on his hands. How much he's involved in it is another matter...but I think at the very least he is taking bad advice from Jones Lange LaSalle. His administration basically granted them full control over state facilities. I'm not going to throw any accusations at Haslam himself, but I am starting to question the wisdom of the consulting he and his administration are receiving. And whether or not it is deserved, if something bad comes to light about this, the blame will not fall on JLL, but on Haslam and his administration. 

JLL is an industry leader. If the state had not picked the lowest bidder people would be complaining about that. I have no issue with leaving the L&C tower and going to more efficient/economical/excess facilities. There is no scandal here, just people making decisions that probably should have been made years ago.

JLL is an industry leader. If the state had not picked the lowest bidder people would be complaining about that. I have no issue with leaving the L&C tower and going to more efficient/economical/excess facilities. There is no scandal here, just people making decisions that probably should have been made years ago.

I don't have a problem with the state getting consulted on the matter, or them having another company manage their office space or negotiate their leases....but I am a little alarmed that they are using the same company for all of those things...and it has been a very very quick ramp-up in their involvement. 

I also do not like the direction they are going with leasing office space AND wanting to teardown buildings. I understand if they do not want to build anything new right now...but moving out/destroying state owned buildings in favor of leasing space elsewhere is a bad direction to take, IMO. I know they are renovating Snodgrass...but they seem to have dropped the ball on maintenance in other locations. 

It's just too much, too quick for me.

As for L&C....I don't know the details behind the situation....but if they are breaking the terms of the lease, then they should be held liable. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the arguments between preserving 2nd Ave and the viability/uniqueness of Cordell Hull have simmered down, I wanted to share an album of the Puryear Mims statues that, while they probably would have been moved and preserved elsewhere, are part of the Cordell Hull property. Credit to Jeffrey. Whoever that is.

http://www.photocapturesbyjeffery.com/p968484595

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This building is a dump and looks like a prison. Hopefully it's torn down and replaced with something that helps the skyline not look so dull and boring. Shouldn't be hard to do because literally anything would look better.  Where is the petition to tear it down so I can sign it???

This building is a dump and looks like a prison. Hopefully it's torn down and replaced with something that helps the skyline not look so dull and boring. Shouldn't be hard to do because literally anything would look better.  Where is the petition to tear it down so I can sign it???

If this was 1960, I can see you being one of those people just itching to tear down all of the old Victorians and Brownstones because they look 'dated and boring,' and replace them with 'modern' parking lots and strip malls to impress our peer city pals. 

^How does parking lots and strip malls impress our peer city pals? You can say whatever you want, the building is ugly as sin and I'm willing to bet if you asked just about anybody outside of the handful of poeple on this forum (or the whopping 1422 people that signed the petition)  they would agree.

If it was 1960, I would probably think that shag carpets and popcorn ceilings look really awesome (kinda like how someone thought this building was at that time). Thank god that era is long gone! Would I be in favor of this being torn down for a parking lot or strip mall, no...not really. But if it was going to be replaced by a nice new modern shiny glass building with some color I would be all for it.

You're missing my point.  I'm saying that your comments about the Cordell Hull, and the motivations behind them, mirror the same comments and motivations of those people who pushed for urban renewal. 

I can respect that you don't like the way it looks.  Preference in architecture is a subjective thing.  What I can't appreciate is that you, apparently, think that the fact that the Cordell Hull's design isn't your cup of tea is ample reason for it to be demolished.

It may be ugly to some but is great to others. Architecture is just like art, some like a work of art while others hate it. I think the real point here is how many of our older buildings will we tolerate being destroyed. With the state,the only thing they want to do is put a parking lot there. Few things in the world are uglier than a parking lot. I don't want to see the building come down for another reason and that is if another building replaces it, it probably would never have the same mass and density as this building. They simply do not build them like that any longer.

Wow. Opposite sides of the urban planet from you, my friend. Cordell Hull is one of the few remaining structures in the art deco style left in Nashville. Stand on the capitol hill side of it and appreciate the architectural talent and thoughtful design, exhibiting an understated strength and beauty that were intended to elicit confidence in government, despite what we may think about how government functions today. The details around the entrances and interiors of CH are simply not found in contemporary buildings. Public buildings of this design and prominence should be preserved for future Tennesseans to appreciate and enjoy.

Archived