Arena South

Gorath

Under the proposed plans, Business U.S. 131 between Cherry and Oakes streets would be removed and replaced with a mixed-use building and a four-seasons activity space. Ottawa Avenue, which runs along the west side of the Arena, would be extended and connected with Cherry Street.

Current parking lots directly behind the Arena and between Oakes and Cherry streets, as well as the parking lot across the street from the Arena on Ottawa Street, also would be replaced with mixed-use buildings.

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/proposed-facelift-for-arena-district

http://woodtv.triton.net/news/ddaarenaandparks/arenadistrictproposal.pdf

arenasouth.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the legend it calls for two 12 and one  20 story buildings but I can't figure out where they are.

Edit 1: Maybe this map will help as I think the areas used on the legend are the same as the numbers on the arena lots.

arenaparking.jpg

Edit 3: I think this is correct.

arenasouthheight.jpg

The green space is totally stupid. There is green space next to the Bank of Holland and Heartside Park is a stone toss away.

How much of our tax money was spent to come up with stupid?

The green space next to the Rapid in Lot 6A? Yeah, I don't understand that one either.  

I like the pedestrian street along the area heading south as well as the extension of Ottawa.  I wish the on ramp to 131 connected to the Ottawa extension.

Agreed, Oaks would be so much better if they can get it built like it is shown.  As to the on ramp, that would make sense, however it can't be done with the way that the support columns for the S-curve are built.

I like it!  I also like getting rid of the silly Business 131 boulevard between Cherry and Oakes.  We could probably stand to lose Oakes between Ionia and Ottawa too.

The green space is totally stupid. There is green space next to the Bank of Holland and Heartside Park is a stone toss away.

The green space next to the Rapid in Lot 6A? Yeah, I don't understand that one either.  

I think the purpose is to address the problem of unfriendly pedestrian access to the Rapid terminal, should this get built.  The green space is just a small storm drain, and it goes hand-in-hand with the "Highway Underpass Enhancement and Programming Opportunities" space right next to it that I hope will be something cool.  As it sits beneath a freeway, and between on/off ramps and the bus driveway, what else would you put there, if not parking?  How about a nice, new Admiral Gas station?  :)

Most 'great' cities have pocket parks throughout the city. Sure, the green space next to Bank of Holland seems out of place right now, but if this vision were to happen, it would seem completely logical. As far as the proposed greenspace, why is it stupid? It fits within the context of a larger development. I think it is a food way to integrate the space and give some breathing room.

About the taxes. I say we stop spending ALL tax money on making our city better. What a waste. [/sarcasm]

The only thing I dont like is that weird curved orange wall thing right in front of the pedestrian space facing Oakes. Completely unnecessary and ruins the line of sight. Other than that, PLEASE BUILD NOW!

And I cant be the only one that wanted to strangle all of the "OMG where's muh parking!!" parrots commenting on WoodTV. I had to get up and walk away from my computer or else I would have exploded from the sheer stupidity on display.

I interpreted the weird orange wall thing as a small stage.  A wall would be bad there.  But i could be a good place for an art installation.  My concern with that area is that it might end up feeling like a service drive area (like Lyon between Monroe & the river).

I really like the pedestrian path that starts at Fulton along the south side of the the arena. And ends at Heartside park with the new sidewalk between US Signal and the off ramp.

I like it!  I also like getting rid of the silly Business 131 boulevard between Cherry and Oakes.  We could probably stand to lose Oakes between Ionia and Ottawa too.

I think the purpose is to address the problem of unfriendly pedestrian access to the Rapid terminal, should this get built.  The green space is just a small storm drain, and it goes hand-in-hand with the "Highway Underpass Enhancement and Programming Opportunities" space right next to it that I hope will be something cool.  As it sits beneath a freeway, and between on/off ramps and the bus driveway, what else would you put there, if not parking?  How about a nice, new Admiral Gas station?  :)

I was referring to the green space right across Oaks from the Bank of Holland pocket park. Totally unnecessary.

I interpreted the weird orange wall thing as a small stage.  A wall would be bad there.  But i could be a good place for an art installation.

I really like the pedestrian path that starts at Fulton along the south side of the the arena. And ends at Heartside park with the new sidewalk between US Signal and the off ramp.

There is a weird orange wall there.  Facebook has pictures.  Agree, an art piece would be better.  Still love it all regardless.

this looks awesome, I love the infill along Ionia, remove the street if only Ottawa could be directly linked to bus 131!. 

As for the parking, it will be underground duh! or maybe one of the building will be a new parking structure? The DDA is not stupid, building something like this of course would require more parking, especially considering its gobbling up existing surface parking lots. 

Not really sure of the green space people are refering to? It looks like there could be a turnaround thing for a possible hotel where the 6-20 story building is? kind of like JW has?

I really hope the arena expansion is done, I am all for hight but I almost think a possible 20 story building behind the arena would be too much and make the skyline a lot more spread out. I would rather see more 5-10 story ones, 15 floors max. 

This is great news

I interpreted the weird orange wall thing as a small stage.  A wall would be bad there.  But i could be a good place for an art installation.  My concern with that area is that it might end up feeling like a service drive area (like Lyon between Monroe & the river).

"Connections" and road diets were big topics of discussion on our walkabout. Everyone wanted better pedestrian connections.

If you guys look closely, there are three parking ramps buried in some of the "liner" buildings. I love that the "alley" that runs behind Hopcat is not only celebrated, but enhanced and connected to the buildings to the South. And the parking lot next to Hopcat is made into a street and greenspace.

As far as the greenspace up by The Rapid, we all talked about how we wanted the area under the s-curve enhanced. How else would you do it? You pretty much can't build anything on that size/shape of a parcel.

Oh sorry, the three parking ramps were on this version:

532895_10151367822558244_1629234663_n.jp

Here were the other two:

149469_10151367920508244_1145871169_n.jp

149469_10151367920513244_155052872_n.jpg

Here is an interesting image from the Arena South Facebook Page:

64343_532002346842113_1122175539_n.jpg

Was having trouble interpreting it until I went through their gallery of images on FB. This is floating from approximately the Tall House location, with the cyclist riding away from the back side of the enlarged arena.

Wish they'd make a helium balloon app. http://goo.gl/maps/J5y2V

• 4 weeks later...

Area D A on the maps, or Area 1, is up for bid on MLS right now. I think it's up for another 20 days or so. 

Are we starting to see a new wave of apartment buildings throughout downtown?

From Grand Rapids Business Journal;

The DDA is likely to award a purchase option for [...] Area 1, to Arena Place Development LLC. The lot, which carries a purchase price of $2.25 million, is situated just west of the arena across Ottawa Avenue NW. The option is for a year and the price tag on the option is $50,000.

Arena Place wants to build an office building of at least 50,000 square feet and an 80-unit apartment structure on the site. Both buildings would offer ground floor retail and restaurant space. The plan also includes 82 underground parking spaces and 42 surfaces spaces that would be covered.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/76805-arena-south-plan-economic-impact-386m-to-716m

Archived