Arena South

Gorath

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You beat me to it. Can anyone estimate how large a building like this would be? Found it odd that they'd have underground AND surface parking.

Joe

I don't think they mean an open surface parking lot. The description says: "The plan also includes 82 underground parking spaces and 42 surfaces spaces that would be covered." which to me means 1st floor parking inside the building.

The lot is 100' x 400', or about 40,000 sf per floor. So parking, ground floor retail, 50,000 sf of office and 80 apartments is probably 8 - 10 stories.

I hope the mural on the side of the ICCF icehouse doesn't get blocked too badly.  Still one of my fave ArtPrize entries.

They could create a cool "mural alley" between the two buildings.

DDA packet for tomorrows meeting.

The Arena South Visioning Plan is included in the packet if you are interested in reading it. It makes up the bulk of the packet.

Also in the packet, the area 1 proposal information starts on page 119.  It appears that Orion Construction is behind Arena Place Development LLC.  Underground parking (2 levels?) with two buildings built on top.  One 50,000 SF office building. The other building is 80 market rate apartments.  13,000 SF of retail will line Ottawa street with parking behind the retail with the upper floors of the buildings above.

DDA packet for tomorrows meeting.

The Arena South Visioning Plan is included in the packet if you are interested in reading it. It makes up the bulk of the packet.

Also in the packet, the area 1 proposal information starts on page 119.  It appears that Orion Construction is behind Arena Place Development LLC.  Underground parking (2 levels?) with two buildings built on top.  One 50,000 SF office building. The other building is 80 market rate apartments.  13,000 SF of retail will line Ottawa street with parking behind the retail with the upper floors of the buildings above.

I plan to make the meeting. I'll see if I can get some renderings if they have them.

Good to see John Wheeler previously of Rockford Development working on this. I think they (Orion Construction) have their offices right next door at 32 Market.

Wasn't Orion going to build their headquarters on Cherry (parking lot next to Brewery Vivant)? Maybe they will be one of the anchor tenants in this project?

It is good to see John Wheeler back in the thick of it. I never knew he left Rockford until they started discussing Cherry Street a while back.

Joe

• 4 months later...

GOOD GRIEF!!  1] If Meijer can't/won't do a general grocery-only venue in Arena South, then shoot a notice off to Chicago's DOMINICK'S.  They have done urban format groceries for decades and know how to do it properly. 2] Can we get it together on the dang Arena South MOVIE THEATRE? Kalamazoo has the right concept right in our face (complete w/ local brewery cross-promotion ability ON-SITE):  http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/09/alamo_drafthouse_kalamazoo_pos.html#incart_river

:dunno:

GOOD GRIEF!!  1] If Meijer can't/won't do a general grocery-only venue in Arena South, then shoot a notice off to Chicago's DOMINICK'S.  They have done urban format groceries for decades and know how to do it properly. 2] Can we get it together on the dang Arena South MOVIE THEATRE? Kalamazoo has the right concept right in our face (complete w/ local brewery cross-promotion ability ON-SITE):  http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/09/alamo_drafthouse_kalamazoo_pos.html#incart_river

:dunno:

Wow, I didn't realize Rave Theater had gone under. That might explain why the theater here is in holding pattern, probably trying to determine if the new dt kzoo theater will work out.

It's awesome that Kalamazoo's getting an Alamo Drafthouse.  Those guys used to be exclusively centered in Texas, then started expanding all over the place.  There's plans to open one in Los Angeles too, as part of a mixed use project downtown.  Kalamazoo was an easy choice for them, as they had a defunct cineplex available.  It'd be great if they were a part of Arena South too. 

I'm curious to see how it turns out.  I've done the "dinner service" theater experience before, and it isn't something I would do every week.  Only for special occasions.  Especially if there's another theater closer, I would generally just take the traditional experience.

Archived