Hurricane Season in Florida 2005

Aessotariq

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

81% of FPL customers in Dade County lost power. I was rather dismayed by the Broward-centric coverage of NBC6 during the storm. After losing power that was a main news source (87.7) and they were going on about Deerfield beach and Fort Lauderdale being in the clear while we were being hammered. I guess I should just learn spanish and switch to Telemundo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I hope Wilma doesnt end up strengthening to a Cat. 3+, no one in the Gulf Region needs anymore hurricanes. I'm just thankful that, for now, the storm track has it headed away from New Orleans. I dont want to wish Wilma on anyone, but New Orleans getting hit by another major hurricane, would be by far the worst case scenario in the process of rebuilding the city.

It's still way too early to make a call but the models all pretty much agree that this is going to curve around cuba and make a beeline for the everglades and south florida. Before everyone starts to panic however, 3 things: This storm should weaken considerably before landfall, it will be moving fairly quickly minimizing wind and rain damage and it looks to be making landfall in unpopulated mangrove islands.

That being said, definitely keep an eye on this thing. We'll know better tomorrow night what might happen.

Hurricane Wilma has just become the most powerfull hurricane on record in the Atlantic Basin with sustain winds at 175mph and 886 mb....

Like Brickel said,. its going to weaken dramaticaly before any land fall, and the state of Florida is more prepaired for these storms than ever before. Also, I would'nt rule out this storm to just Southwest Florida, that cone of concern always change, especially sence its still 5 days out.

Like Rita, Houston was suppose to get a direct hit, but it made landfall some 100 miles away, so lets us not speculate just yet.....

Katrina was orinally supposed to make landfall along the Florida panhandle, and of course it made lanfall near New Orleans, some 425 miles east. Everyone along the gulf coast needs to be watching this one, you never really know what these hurricanes are going to do next...

Katrina was orinally supposed to make landfall along the Florida panhandle, and of course it made lanfall near New Orleans, some 425 miles east.

Technically, it did make laqndfall in Florida, that's just not where it did most of the damage. Other than that, I agree with your post, although I must say that I personally don't think Wilma will not be quite as hazardous as Katrina and Rita (it could slow down, and the fact that it is nearing the close of the major part of the hurricane season lead me to guess this).

Stay safe though, you never know what could happen.

Florida is prepared for a hurricane more than any other state so us getting it is better than anywhere else along the gulf coast

This is true. We have among the best governments along the Gulf Coast (much better than LA), we have a strong governor and we plenty of experience with hurricanes. We will be fine.

Technically, it did make laqndfall in Florida, that's just not where it did most of the damage. Other than that, I agree with your post, although I must say that I personally don't think Wilma will not be quite as hazardous as Katrina and Rita (it could slow down, and the fact that it is nearing the close of the major part of the hurricane season lead me to guess this).

I meant the second landfall of Katrina was originaly supposed to be in the Florida panhandle, and it ended up making its' second lanfall near Buras,LA.

I think Wilma will cause sever-moderate wind damage and moderate flooding in some areas. The fact that it is supposed to weaken before lanfall and contine moving quickly is very good.

From what I have seen on the Weather Channel, the intensity of the hurricane when it makes landfall in Florida or maybe Cuba, depends on if it goes over the Yucatan Peninsula. Forecasters are saying that if Wilma doesnt touch much of the Yucatan Peninsula, it would make lanfall as a cat. 3-4, and if it did go over the Yucatan Peninsula, it would make landfall as a cat. 1-2.

From what I have seen on the Weather Channel, the intensity of the hurricane when it makes landfall in Florida or maybe Cuba, depends on if it goes over the Yucatan Peninsula. Forecasters are saying that if Wilma doesnt touch much of the Yucatan Peninsula, it would make lanfall as a cat. 3-4, and if it did go over the Yucatan Peninsula, it would make landfall as a cat. 1-2.

I hate to say this but... The Weather Channel is the WORST place to get your hurricane reports from. IMO your local weather man probably has a better grasp as to whats up. The weather channel's cone of error is always thinner than the offical forcast track u can see that here http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm2...m=wxcenter_maps and here http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/track...00524_5day.html. open them up and look at them side by side. Im not sure if this is to simply for the broad audience they have or what. Secondly they always put their reporters in the places where the hurricanes usually have little impact.Case in point, during Katrina they had reporters as far north as St. Lucie,even when the hurricane was slated to hit Ft.Lauderdale. So if there is a weather channel reporter in your nieghborhood... youll be fine j/k :lol:

Archived