Veterans and monument park reno

jthrasher

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/04/3_million_plan_to_remodel_down.html

Is it me or does 3 million seem like 3x more than it should cost? I mean, it's two small parks.  They aren't building an entire building with heating and AC.  

except for the public restroom and coffee shop they are building ;)

• 11 months later...

Okay Reynolds & Son's.  It's time to apply for a facade improvement grant.  I'm sure someone here would be willing to fill out the paperwork for you.  

From what I recall they planted hybrid Elm trees in this park, so the trees should grow quickly, and are resistant to Dutch Elm, etc.

Good enough for government work.  Anyone ever get a real handle on what was involved in this project and what it cost?  Unless there was a lot of subsurface sewer and utility work included, the cost estimates in the mLive article seem outrageous--even the lower $800,000 figure.  We're talking about a tiny, tiny scrap of dirt here.

I like the park overall, but why do we need a giant, stately sign in the first place?  Whose idea was that?  As if anybody really needs to know the name of this corner is Monument Park.  As if any moron can't already see there's a monument there.  Let the space speak for itself, guys.

Hope this gets fixed. If this had been my project, the contractors would not have taken a couple months off. And any cemetery monument engraver could have aligned this lettering.

It looks like they set the letters, and then installed the blocks. Instead of the more sensical way of installing the blocks and then putting the letters on. What a shoddy job. Did they not have a level and a pencil? And why are the letters so high and not centered vertically?

Good enough for government work.  Anyone ever get a real handle on what was involved in this project and what it cost?  Unless there was a lot of subsurface sewer and utility work included, the cost estimates in the mLive article seem outrageous--even the lower $800,000 figure.  We're talking about a tiny, tiny scrap of dirt here.

they did dig a big ass hole in the ground.  probably was a union job also.  

for that much money though they could have gotten some bigger trees. it's going to be 20 years before they even closely resemble the trees that they tore out.  

I think there might be more quality issues than the letters mentioned above. The monument itself looks a little crooked. It might be an optical illusion - or maybe it's the monument itself - but I asked a friend, and she thinks it looks a little off balance, too. I'm happy with the new park in general, though - mad props to the commission who pushed it through.

I think there might be more quality issues than the letters mentioned above. The monument itself looks a little crooked. It might be an optical illusion - or maybe it's the monument itself - but I asked a friend, and she thinks it looks a little off balance, too. I'm happy with the new park in general, though - mad props to the commission who pushed it through.

Too bad there isn't much difference from the old park, other than crummy little trees to replace the big, beautiful old ones and a moved monument.  I don't see much a little landscaping, grass, flowers and very uncomfortable bum-resistant benches couldn't have fixed quite well.  I hate to think what moving that monument cost.  Or the ridiculously GIANT MONUMENT PARK SIGN.  Why?  WHY?! Any design-build landscaping company worth their salt probably could have done a much nicer job for a $50,000 tally.  Not that I'm a cynic, or anything.  But a million bucks for a FIFTEENTH OF AN ACRE park?  Are you kidding me?  THIS #$)()&&*$ THING COST A ___MINIMUM___ OF FIVE MILLION DOLLARS AN ACRE. 

Too bad there isn't much difference from the old park, other than crummy little trees to replace the big, beautiful old ones and a moved monument.  I don't see much a little landscaping, grass, flowers and very uncomfortable bum-resistant benches couldn't have fixed quite well.  I hate to think what moving that monument cost.  Or the ridiculously GIANT MONUMENT PARK SIGN.  Why?  WHY?! Any design-build landscaping company worth their salt probably could have done a much nicer job for a $50,000 tally.  Not that I'm a cynic, or anything.  But a million bucks for a FIFTEENTH OF AN ACRE park?  Are you kidding me?  THIS #$)()&&*$ THING COST A ___MINIMUM___ OF FIVE MILLION DOLLARS AN ACRE. 

I was beginning to think I was the only one that thought this looked bad... the flag looks out of place to me, everything is crooked, no landscaping,  and 4 benches looking away from the monument and at the storefront of the ugliest building on Monroe (arguably in downtown proper)... all for a million cold ones...

I don't know if they could have done a nicer job but there is no way that they could have done the same job for 50k.  I went the children's museum quite few times during the construction and whatever it was that they were doing, it was a lot of work.  The real question is, did anything need to be done at all? I think that the park will look quite nice in about 20 years, once the trees fill in.

In defense of the design

I was beginning to think I was the only one that thought this looked bad... the flag looks out of place to me, everything is crooked, no landscaping,  and 4 benches looking away from the monument and at the storefront of the ugliest building on Monroe (arguably in downtown proper)... all for a million cold ones...

There are benches that encircle the actual monument itself. Those 4 you see in that picture face the Children's Museum and not the sporting goods store.

A lot of the cost went into rebuilding the infrasctructure beneath it, utilities mainly, and filling in the last of the coal storage areaways along that section (remember the collapsing sidewalk?).

I had pictures from other angles but hadn't posted them yet. Projects like this always look bland when the trees first go in (and when the grass is dead).

As far as the lettering goes, I'd have a bronze plaque made with the name on it and install it over those poorly done letters. Class it up a bit.

13545364843_2e7f4cb00e_b.jpg

13545286155_13007f2c9c_b.jpg

9694308456_5bd73892fc_o.jpg

From this angle, it does appear that the ground under the monument may have settled on the East side. The flag pole looks precisely plum with the wall on the Kendall Building, but if you draw a straight line from the "bowl" near the base of the statue, it doesn't look level with the storefront fascia in the background. Off a couple of degrees. Having the soldier leaning back a bit makes it look even more off kilter.

13545580904_5bc43464c3_b.jpg

Pisa, Italy makes a fortune off its leaning tower.  With a little creative marketing we can make some hay with this.  

From the team that brought you, "Keep It A Secret!" comes the latest in urban marketing, "The Leaning Monument of Grand Rapids"  

Visit Today!

• 5 months later...

Monument Park ribbon-cutting, Thursday Oct 23, 4 pm.

ETA: Had the DT GR FB page open, sent them a message asking about the pending work on the park next door (the one with the Hobby Lobby lettering signage). Their announcement contains mentions of the word "veterans."

Perhaps this one should be known as Civil War Dude Park. Re-enactors have a colloquialism, giving the name "Farquar" to anyone otherwise unnamed. ("So Farquar goes into a sutlery, asks 'em for some hardtack...") I think of the statue as Farquar.

• 3 months later...

Updated drawings of Veterans Park. Goal is a July 2016 construction kick-off

15637846843_613bab364c_o.jpg

Now that I've had a chance to look at it, I like the idea of a patio off the back of that block building by the Children's Museum. Could have a french cafe feel to it if done right. Has anyone seen a plan of that building?

Here's a little history on the building. Is it still being used by the Children's Museum for offices?

http://therapidian.org/glance-past-tourist-building

Archived