westsider28

Drayton Mill Renovation

90 posts in this topic

I found this juicy tidbit at the under other business at the end of an article about county council:

"[Council] approved a special assessment request that John Montgomery of Pacolet Milliken said could make renovation of the Drayton Mill into apartment units economically feasible."

H-J article

I would love to see that happen!

That would be fantastic! Pacolet-Milliken has a good track record with this type of thing, so I'm optimistic.

I wonder if this would spur any further activity in the Drayton/Beaumont neighborhoods? So many folks already use Drayton Rd as a cut through you have to figure some other stuff would get started.

Things are looking positive for Drayton Mill becoming a residential complex!  The special assessment I mentioned earlier locks in the current assessed value (for property tax purposes) for 20 years.  Strict guidelines will have to be followed in the renovation due to the mill's inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.

One really cool thing: as a condition of the special assessment, Pacolet Milliken will have to create and maintain a one-mile trail from Lawson's Fork Creek to Mary Black Hospital.  The path will have to be built within 2 years and an easement for public use given to the county.

Right now, Pacolet Milliken is conducting due diligence and will likely decide whether to move forward in 3-4 months.  Really hope this happens!

H-J article

Edited by westsider28

Wow, I didn't know the mill property included that forested area off of Skylyn Drive. Any word on whether or not that gets developed as part of this deal?

I believe Roger Milliken owned the entire mill village and all the surrounding property until it closed. When I was young we used to play over there adjacent to where the mill is and there were sign saying "No trespassing, Milliken property". Of course we were 10 and ignored that, but while the houses are now owned by individuals/landlords I think Milliken still owns the wooded property along the RR tracks and leading over to the hospital.

^That would explain how they are able to build a mile-long trail

So, I've got some new info on this project.  I'm not sure how much I should say, but this project will potentially be HUGE.  We're talking 243 units between 2 buildings.  Potential office, retail, restaurant, and/or artist studios for other buildings.  Depending on some financing pieces, it could start in about a year and take 1.5 years after that to complete.  But if it happens as planned, it will be worth the wait.

Also, as well as the trail to Mary Black Hospital, they're looking at extending a trail the other way (along Lawson's Fork) to Cottonwood and Converse College.

1 person likes this

I hope they are able to extend the trail to the Cottonwood Trail. A true greenway would be a huge asset for Spartanburg. 

It seems like a weird place for retail with all of the stores on Garner Rd and Hillcrest so close, but I hope they can make it work.

I hope they are able to extend the trail to the Cottonwood Trail. A true greenway would be a huge asset for Spartanburg. 

It seems like a weird place for retail with all of the stores on Garner Rd and Hillcrest so close, but I hope they can make it work.

Drayton Road / isom Street carries a lot of traffic, especially during the workweek.  Traffic + People = Shopping.

Here we go, folks!  Pacolet Milliken has announced that they are moving forward with a $35 million plan to renovate the Drayton Mill site into an upmarket multi-use complex!  The plan calls for 288 luxury apartments, office/restaurant/event space in other buildings, and a one-mile greenway along Lawson's Fork Creek to Mary Black Hospital.  Construction should begin in Q2 2014.

The spinning mill (on Drayton Ave) will have 122 units (108 2BR, 10 1BR, 4 3BR) and the weaving mill (behind the water towers) will have 166 units (143 1BR, 21 2BR, 2 3BR).  The units will be between 700 and 1,800 square feet, featuring exposed brick, original hardwood floors, high ceilings, and large windows.  Rents will range from $800 to $1300 per month.  A large pool will be built between the water towers.

Atlanta-based Westbridge Partners and TMS Development of Charlotte will oversee the project.  Durham-based Belk Architecture and Gay Construction of Atlanta are also partners.  They all have extensive experience with historic revitalization projects.  They're shooting for the uniqueness and quality of development seen in Westbridge's White Provision in Atlanta or the American Tobacco Complex in Durham.  Both developers mention the buildings being in great condition; even "I've never seen one so well maintained."

This is awesome!  This project is huge and features a development team of a quality not often seen in Spartanburg.  Welcome to the big-time.

That is incredibly exciting! It's great to save these things before they meet some other fate.

This is a great project. I would like to know if the property will be annexed into the City? It will likely need upgraded sewer service and additional water service to

be developed and its definately within the 1 mile agreement recently approved that requires annexation.

I feel like I read somewhere that it would be annexed. 

There is a great article in the Upstate Business Journal about past and future renovations of Upstate mills.  There is a section on the Drayton Mill project, where it states that construction should begin by the end of the summer and take about 2 years.  Wish they would start sooner; really looking forward to this one!  And here's a drawing from the article (future walkway by the mill pond):

0418UBJMillsDraytonWellspringAmphitheatr

Edited by westsider28

That's very cool. Has a site plan ever been made available for this project?

I really hope this helps this area take off. As a life long Spartan, I watched the Drayton area at full power, and then a long slow decline to where we are now. There is so much potential for the area. Heck I am pumped as the devil about the new Pig Out BBQ joint going across the bridge by the post office. I pass by every other day to check out the progress on it. There is still a lot of land that can be developed in the area between the post office and the Beaumont bridge.

At the mill there are small crews already clearing out stuff of the mill and putting it in mobile dumpsters as well as other sundry activities back inside. I like westsider wish they would begin in earnest this spring.

2 people like this

I really hope this helps this area take off. As a life long Spartan, I watched the Drayton area at full power, and then a long slow decline to where we are now. There is so much potential for the area. Heck I am pumped as the devil about the new Pig Out BBQ joint going across the bridge by the post office. I pass by every other day to check out the progress on it. There is still a lot of land that can be developed in the area between the post office and the Beaumont bridge.

At the mill there are small crews already clearing out stuff of the mill and putting it in mobile dumpsters as well as other sundry activities back inside. I like westsider wish they would begin in earnest this spring.

Tell us about the BBQ joint.  Is it already an established business that is relocating to Drayton or something new? 

Is that the one that used to be at John Dodd and New Cut?

Edited by Jael

Its a 2nd location. Once Joe Crook knew for sure that the mill was going to become apartments, he bought the vacant building across the bridge hours after the announcement (there was an article in the SHJ a couple months back). It was a shrewd business move as I know lots of folks on the east side that salivate over his Q, but wish his place was closer. Now it will be and I am sure it will be a popular spot for the construction workers for the next 2 years. Not a bad way to get a new business off the ground.

1 person likes this

I used to live on John Dodd and thought I recognized the name. I never ate there because I don't care for barbecue (I prefer hash), but I had always heard his was good. That was a shrewd move on his part!

Here's the menu:

www.thepigout.com

1 person likes this

Here's the menu:

www.thepigout.com

Thanks S-man!

I had dinner at the original one on Friday and the ribs were out of this world. No one else around (sans MIdway BBQ in Buffalo, SC) are even close to the quality of these guys.

It is going to be a slam dunk when this joint opens!